The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The guy is clearly a ******* moron, with people like that running the county no wonder that Britain isnt exactly doing brilliantly
yituool
As far as I'm aware, no actual British soldiers are going to be killed by this game.

Did I say they would be? If you're going to get my attention by quoting me, have something interesting, insightful or at the very least witty waiting for me you sheep.
Reply 62
The argument is retarded. As far as I can tell you play as the Taliban in the multiplayer. Sow what? Someone has to be the opposition. besides, I don't remember anyone complaining at COD WAW when you played on the German side. Noone was going "OMG your a nazi 'cos you play that game!"
londonlawguy
Yes I would. But that is slightly misleading - I was making the point that the society and values the Taliban stands for are absolutely inferior to western, liberal democratic values.

Show me where he uses that as a reason?
Phantom_X
This is the same as every war game

By this logic we should be banning most games involving violence. Lord forbid, Fox might advocate banning tekken next.

Please explain how my logic leads to banning Tekken. Tekken does not depict a real war, and it definitely doesn't depict a war that is still happening.

If a game existed that allowed you to fly planes into the twin towers or blow up London buses for kicks then no one would find that funny. People on the internet would pretend to in the pursuit of controversy points, but that's all. There is a line somewhere and to deny that just means you're a moron.
Excandersham
Hi Daily Mail i didn't know you were sentient.

An internet retort using the Daily Mail straw man? I would describe that as witty, effective and entirely original.

The taliban forces are only available as a multiplayer opponent and are just a model reskin of the american/british forces.

Oh right, Mr. Fox's main concern was definitely with how exactly the Taliban characters were programmed. Need to let him know immediately that EA were lazy and just whacked brown skin and a funny turban on American templates, for that makes all the difference to the argument centred on morality, patriotism and taste.
Idiot-Finder
Show me where he uses that as a reason?

Liam Fox doesn't use that as a reason. And I do not agree with his view that the game should be banned.

I was only responding to the comment:

The Taliban are fighting for what they believe, the Allies for what they believe. Who the **** is he to say one is more just than the other?

I took issue with the suggestion that the values the Taliban are fighting for are equally as 'just' as the values the Nato forces are fighting for.

Generally speaking, I do not believe the values the Taliban are fighting for are as 'just' as the values the Nato forces are fighting for.

However, I do accept your suggestion that one of the motivations for the Taliban's campaign, hostility to a foreign military force, is understandable. This is only one of the motivations of the Taliban, though. The rest of their motivations (involving their desire to reinstate a brutal, repressive Muslim theocracy) I believe are less 'just' than the beliefs and motivations of the Nato forces.

And to whoever neg repped me, please do not neg rep me for simply stating an opinion you don't agree with. I'm not trying to be rude or offensive, I am just stating an opinion.
Reply 67
If you can play coalition forces killing insurgents I don't see why the roles shouldn't be switched...killing is killing.
Reply 68
LOL bellend, people have lost sisters, brothers, dads and mums at the hands of reckless drivers but where is the call to ban midnight racer and grand turismo?
Reply 69
Steezy
"Children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands to the taliban"

.............. True, but a hell of a lot more women have lost husbands, children lost fathers, fathers lost wives, wives lost children, children lost siblings, etc, etc, etc to the American & British armed forces. What ridiculous emotional blackmail.

This.
paddyman4
Did I say they would be? If you're going to get my attention by quoting me, have something interesting, insightful or at the very least witty waiting for me you sheep.

Sheep? That's rich coming from someone who is seemingly convinced that the Armed Forces in Afghanistan are actually protecting the citizens of the UK. Whilst that might have been their initial deluded intention, the war on terror has not actually made us any safer.

(Before I get flamed, I am not arguing that the wars are unjustified, just that the claim that they are improving our security is quite a bold one to make)
Well "children have lost fathers and wives have lost husbands," at the hands of the British Army in Afghanistan. So lets ban games with the British army in them as well :kk:

(btw just in case people jump to conclusions, I despise the Taliban but think its hypocritical banning the game)
Reply 72
Idiot-Finder
But a war in which thousands and thousands of Afghan civilians have died and the same for Iraq are ok?

The british public don't have relatives and sons who are afghan civilians, so no. I'm sure they have or will discuss banning it in Afghanistan and Iraq though as it would be insensitive for the people living there as well.
Reply 73
Idiot-Finder
The Taliban are fighting for what they believe, the Allies for what they believe. Who the **** is he to say one is more just than the other?

Agreed.

**** banning the game.
Reply 74
I'm an avid gamer and I think Fox's concerns are valid, although it's just a game and banning it is bit much. People are using bad examples of other games - GTA is not the same thing because the world you are in is entirely fictional, whereas MoH is obviously based off real life situations and events.
Reply 75
Joluk
There's a huge difference between a game which involves a previous war, and a war that is currently being fought with British soldiers still dying. Its insensitive, but if its only in multiplayer mode, its not really right to ban it.

Yes but it's OK to have games where civilians die. Because they're not British, no one cares innit? It's not dat insensitive braaappp!
Reply 76
paddyman4
An internet retort using the Daily Mail straw man? I would describe that as witty, effective and entirely original.

Oh right, Mr. Fox's main concern was definitely with how exactly the Taliban characters were programmed. Need to let him know immediately that EA were lazy and just whacked brown skin and a funny turban on American templates, for that makes all the difference to the argument centred on morality, patriotism and taste.

For a person who seems to dislike strawmen you enjoy using them immensely.
Reply 77

Simple thing is this.

You put limits on freedom of speech you lose any argument to prevent the loss of more freedom.

EA can make any game it wants too and its up to the people involved whether they want to buy the game or not.

The game is adult i.e 18rating adults arecapable of making their own decisions.

You can think the game is immoral, insensitive or a slap in the face to everyone who died in Afghanistan but offense does not give anyone the right to censor another.
Excandersham
For a person who seems to dislike strawmen you enjoy using them immensely.

Example?
Reply 79
chica_chica
I can understand why the families of some of those that have perished over there might feel it a bit insensitive, however it is to me just a game and I see no harm in it.

After all in "Call of Duty Modern Warfare" you can play an Arab terrorist killing Americans and in "Modern Warfare 2" you can play a Russian who kills civilians.

I guess from here someone would have to ask where someone might draw the line.

The difference is that they are obviously cinematic.

Anyway, you don't play as a terrorist in CoD4 MP. You play under the OpFor flag, which is usually given to enemies from an unnamed country (usually of slavic or arab origin). Nobody cares because they aren't a real faction.

With the MW2 scene. You play as an undercover US Ranger, working for the CIA, acting as a mole in a terrorist organisation. Only that your superiors ratted you out to start a war with Russia so that people care more about American patriotism. Even though the faction is real, such combat with Russia is outlandish at best.

Whereas the Taliban are a very real faction who are engaged in combat with coalition soldiers right now.

Honestly though, I don't really care, it's just a video game. Just wanted to say that they aren't really comparable since the MW series relies on made-up scenarios, whereas MoH is trying a realistic setting. That said, if it wasn't a current conflict, few people would care.