The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

chemical eng

hi,

I got AAABB in Maths, Further maths, Economics, chemistry n Physics respectively in my AS-levels.
I wanted to get a A in chemistry as i wanted to apply for chemical engineering. I missed a A in chemistry by 4 ums, When I spoke with my chemistry teacher, he said that he is going to give me a A prediction next year anyway. Also my maths teacher told me that he is going to give me A*A* prediction for maths n further maths next year. And my GCSE's are not that shinny. The reason being i came to UK in 2008 and did my GCSE's ino jst 1 year(year 11). my GCSE grades are:
maths - a
statistics- a*
science -a
aditional science - a*
english - c
english literature - c
ICT national - 2A's
DT - c
n did an ALAN test(actually this test was forced by my school) - i think i got a B in there...

does imperial look at gcse grades in detail?

as far as i know imperial's entry criteria is A*AA in maths, chemistry and a third subject (probably prefers physics) respectively.
if i keep physics for A2 my prediction will look like A*A*AB in maths, further maths, chemistry and physics respectively. whereas if i keep economics for A2 my prediction will look like A*A*AA in maths, further maths, chemistry and economics respectively. So guys do u think i should drop physics or economics?

And i am sorry if i posted this on the wrong forum
thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Can't you get an A prediction in physics?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
akash_dx6
hi,

I got AAABB in Maths, Further maths, Economics, chemistry n Physics respectively in my AS-levels.
I wanted to get a A in chemistry as i wanted to apply for chemical engineering. I missed a A in chemistry by 4 ums, When I spoke with my chemistry teacher, he said that he is going to give me a A prediction next year anyway. Also my maths teacher told me that he is going to give me A*A* prediction for maths n further maths next year. And my GCSE's are not that shinny. The reason being i came to UK in 2008 and did my GCSE's ino jst 1 year(year 11). my GCSE grades are:
maths - a
statistics- a*
science -a
aditional science - a*
english - c
english literature - c
ICT national - 2A's
DT - c
n did an ALAN test(actually this test was forced by my school) - i think i got a B in there...

does imperial look at gcse grades in detail?

as far as i know imperial's entry criteria is A*AA in maths, chemistry and a third subject (probably prefers physics) respectively.
if i keep physics for A2 my prediction will look like A*A*AB in maths, further maths, chemistry and physics respectively. whereas if i keep economics for A2 my prediction will look like A*A*AA in maths, further maths, chemistry and economics respectively. So guys do u think i should drop physics or economics?

And i am sorry if i posted this on the wrong forum
thanks

Definitely keep the physics rather than the economics despite the prediction. They only take on a few people who don't have physics A2, and you'd already have the grade requirements anyway. Besides getting the offer, if you're serious about doing the course, A2 physics will help you like no other.
Reply 3
SuperSpurs
Can't you get an A prediction in physics?

i dont think my teacher is going to give me a A prediction for physics
Reply 4
IChem
Definitely keep the physics rather than the economics despite the prediction. They only take on a few people who don't have physics A2, and you'd already have the grade requirements anyway. Besides getting the offer, if you're serious about doing the course, A2 physics will help you like no other.

i totally agree with you that in chemical engineering there is lot of physics involved. But just talking from getting an offer prospective wouldnt imperial think that i am bad in physics as i have a B in my AS-level and will hava B prediction for next year which is probably below standards for imperial. its just that a A*A*AA sounds a lot better than A*A*AB(no offence). And how competitive is chemical engineering in imperial?
Reply 5
innerhollow
Get your teacher to predict you an A at all costs, then work your ass off. What part of Physics do you struggle with anyway? Imperial have an abundance of applicants with A*AAA or better and Maths/Chemistry/Physics all at top grades; so a B prediction in Physics or no Physics at all both give you a weak paper application in comparison.

It's pretty much the most competitive university for Chemical Engineering (like 6-7 applicants per place or something), with a very strong applicant pool, so you'd need to beat a fair few people to get in (like me :mad: ). So yeah, not easy. :eek3:

the first exam in physics i got 110/120 ums (mechanics n light paper)
the second exam i got 82/120 ums (particle physics and electricity)
and i got 34/60 in practical exam
so in total 226/300 ums (14 off from an A)
Reply 6
i have a place at imperial for chem eng this year and if you want my advice i would say definitely take physics. As for how competitive it is to get a place id say very. A lot of the applicants are extremely intelligent and you will be competing against many people of equal, if not greater, intelligence.
Reply 7
ejw93
i have a place at imperial for chem eng this year and if you want my advice i would say definitely take physics. As for how competitive it is to get a place id say very. A lot of the applicants are extremely intelligent and you will be competing against many people of equal, if not greater, intelligence.

even if i know that i am going to hav a B prediction whereas if i take economics i will hav a A prediction????
Reply 8
akash_dx6
even if i know that i am going to hav a B prediction whereas if i take economics i will hav a A prediction????

Yes - to them, economics is useless, whereas physics is key. Why won't they predict you an A anyway?
akash_dx6

I already covered this.

You did not think this through at all. If you drop Physics now, you'll have to cash in your Physics AS right? And you are required to declare all your qualifications for UCAS, so Imperial will see you got a B in Physics at AS, notice you haven't continued it to A2, and conclude (correctly) that you are not that good at Physics. Given how important Physics is for ChemEng, they'll probably reject you at that point, since they'll have no short supply of applicants predicted As and even A*s for Physics.

The ONLY solution is to get your school to predict you an A. Otherwise you're basically screwed.
Reply 10
IChem
Yes - to them, economics is useless, whereas physics is key. Why won't they predict you an A anyway?

i am not going to get a A prediction because i am 14 ums off an A
Reply 11
akash_dx6
i am not going to get a A prediction because i am 14 ums off an A

Has your teacher categorically told you this, or is this something you assume?
Reply 12
IChem
Has your teacher categorically told you this, or is this something you assume?

i havnt spoken with my teacher after the results but i am pretty sure he is going to give me a B prediction as he doesnt lik me either
Reply 13
akash_dx6
i havnt spoken with my teacher after the results but i am pretty sure he is going to give me a B prediction as he doesnt lik me either

economics is not going to help you secure a place on a chem eng course at imperial regardless of you getting an A. You need to persist with physics and plead with your teacher to predict you an A. I scraped an A at as level by 3ums, kicked myself into action and also got rid of the useless teacher i had that year,and secured an A* this year. There is no reason you cannot get an A if you were just 14 ums off.
Reply 14
dan9
economics is not going to help you secure a place on a chem eng course at imperial regardless of you getting an A. You need to persist with physics and plead with your teacher to predict you an A. I scraped an A at as level by 3ums, kicked myself into action and also got rid of the useless teacher i had that year,and secured an A* this year. There is no reason you cannot get an A if you were just 14 ums off.

thanks buddy....thats a really inspiring story..
do you know any good persuasive things/reasons i can say to my teacher?:biggrin:
Reply 15
akash_dx6
thanks buddy....thats a really inspiring story..
do you know any good persuasive things/reasons i can say to my teacher?:biggrin:

Not really lol but im guessing that your one of the brightest due to your grades do you could explain to him the uni choices you plan to pick and why you need that prediction, it will look good on him if you end up at imperial anyway as he can say he helped you there :p:
Reply 16
dan9
Not really lol but im guessing that your one of the brightest due to your grades do you could explain to him the uni choices you plan to pick and why you need that prediction, it will look good on him if you end up at imperial anyway as he can say he helped you there :p:

just out of interest what are the chances (%) of getting into imperial even if have a B prediction for physics coz still then i fulfil their entry req. as i am expected to get a prediction of A*A*A in maths, further maths and chemistry respectively.
Reply 17
akash_dx6
just out of interest what are the chances (%) of getting into imperial even if have a B prediction for physics coz still then i fulfil their entry req. as i am expected to get a prediction of A*A*A in maths, further maths and chemistry respectively.

theres no way of telling but, and its entirely my opinion, they would probably prefer a candidate with an A prediction in physics
Reply 18
dan9
theres no way of telling but, and its entirely my opinion, they would probably prefer a candidate with an A prediction in physics

thanks
lets hope i can persuade my teacher (which for me would be harder than to get 5A*:biggrin: )
Reply 19
akash_dx6
thanks
lets hope i can persuade my teacher (which for me would be harder than to get 5A*:biggrin: )

Good luck, but nonetheless, even if he won't predict you an A, keep the physics rather than the economics. Trust me.

Latest

Trending

Trending