The Student Room Group

Manchester Medicine Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

i got ukcat score of 642.5 so im guessing it would be too risky to apply? and i dont qualify for there scheme..
Reply 81
this may sound pedantic but it was actually 645 last year not 650 :yep:
Reply 82
do they actually use a cut off? like were people rejected because of their ukcat scores?

btw, does anyone remember there was a word document on their website which explained the way they treat applications, it said something about the ukcat..
hardees
do they actually use a cut off? like were people rejected because of their ukcat scores?

btw, does anyone remember there was a word document on their website which explained the way they treat applications, it said something about the ukcat..

Yeah, I posted the paragraph about the UKCAT from this document a couple of weeks ago on this thread. It basically says that they rank applications based on UKCAT scores, but that applicants with a wide range of scores are interviewed (they specify the scores and they equated to averages in the 400s to the high 700s), but a lot of other posters have said that those with low UKCAT scores who were interviewed were part of an access scheme specific to Manchester, so I don't know. :dontknow: When I emailed them with my details they referred me to this document as well, and I'm not part of this access scheme.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 84
Retrospect
Yeah, I posted the paragraph about the UKCAT from this document a couple of weeks ago on this thread. It basically says that they rank applications based on UKCAT scores, but that applicants with a wide range of scores are interviewed (they specify the scores and they equated to averages in the 400s to the high 700s), but a lot of other posters have said that those with low UKCAT scores who were interviewed were part of an access scheme specific to Manchester, so I don't know. :dontknow: When I emailed them with my details they referred me to this document as well, and I'm not part of this access scheme.

yup, they sent me the same email. they said it's based on educational and demographics that they rank their ukcat scores and the average was 2580.
On an interesting note, we have a nice little normal distribution forming in the poll. It seems to be one of the least negatively skewed too, compared to the other threads.
Reply 86
no the poll is unreliable and biased towards higher scores as only those with higher scores will enter them generally speaking so there is no point even considering it
(edited 13 years ago)
dafloodman
no the poll is unreliable and biased towards higher scores as only those with higher scores will enter them generally speaking so there is no point even considering it

those with higher scores apply to unis that use the ukcat a lot so the poll could be pretty accurate actually
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 88
InItToWinItGetIt?
those with higher scores apply to unis that use the ukcat a lot so the poll could be pretty accurate actually

with such a small sample size? well it's much less likely that it is. yes it may be the case that higher scorers tend to apply to ukcat uni's, however the poll won't include applicants lower scores who apply to manc as they arent as willing to share their scores
Reply 89
and those who are on tsr are more likely to be informed whereas those not on it will may have lower scores and still apply
Reply 90
and i just looked at the poll and and some arent even applying to manc!
Reply 91
dafloodman
and i just looked at the poll and and some arent even applying to manc!

Not surprising.

It's tsr after all. Ignore any poll you see on here. You will never find an accurate poll. Especially here.
My fellow pbl grouper got 560 in his ukcat.

That should silence all you fools
nerdman09
My fellow pbl grouper got 560 in his ukcat.

That should silence all you fools

He/she must have been on 'MAP'. Because everyone not on map needed to meet the cut-off which was around 650.
InItToWinItGetIt?
He/she must have been on 'MAP'. Because everyone not on map needed to meet the cut-off which was around 650.

Nope
InItToWinItGetIt?

How do you know everyone needed to meet it? :hmmm:
Reply 96
I don't see how the cut off mark can be argued over.

It is officially stated that the average person that got an offer had around 645. HOWEVER, people DID get in with much lower scores. Whether it be on MAP or not, it still happened.
(edited 13 years ago)
Retrospect
How do you know everyone needed to meet it? :hmmm:

because that's what the admissions tutor said

(at this AimHigher thing I went to)
Doctogan
I don't see how the cut off mark can be argued over.

It is officially stated that the average person that got an offer had around 645. HOWEVER, people DID get in with much lower scores. Whether it be on MAP or not, it still happened.

I don't really get what you're saying. It's important in the sense that people will know where they stand if they apply with a score of less than 645 and are not part of this MAP scheme.
Reply 99
InItToWinItGetIt?
because that's what the admissions tutor said

(at this AimHigher thing I went to)

A girl in my year was interviewed with a UKCAT of 605, she was rejected eventually because of her UKCAT though, their feedback was that they wouldn't normally consider someone with a UKCAT that low but liked her PS enough to invite her for interview. They also said she'd have had to perform above average at interview to gain an offer because of her UKCAT. So I think it is possible to get an offer even with a low UKCAT.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending