The Student Room Group

Got the A-Levels to get into uni, is there any more use for them in the future now?

For my course I needed BBB. I was practically 100% sure id get in, not to sound cocky but I played it safe, as I had estimated grades of AAB. I got AAB and im happy but my B was so close to an A that im slightly annoyed. Whenever I speak to anyone about it, I am astounded at the amount of people who say something along the lines of "oh well youve got in uni, that's all that matters!", including teachers on results day.

Is that really the only use for A-Levels now? I knew id get into uni but it was more a matter of personal pride at doing as well as I can.
Reply 1
Far be it from me to bring you down but until you graduate they're the highest qualifications you have - and people who start uni don't always graduate so don't have a bonfire yet.

Yeah there's a lot of reductionist thinking about these days - the purpose of A levels is to get you into university - any other skills or benefits you might have got out of going through the process of getting them is strictly coincidental.
Reply 2
Joinedup
Far be it from me to bring you down but until you graduate they're the highest qualifications you have - and people who start uni don't always graduate so don't have a bonfire yet.

Yeah there's a lot of reductionist thinking about these days - the purpose of A levels is to get you into university - any other skills or benefits you might have got out of going through the process of getting them is strictly coincidental.

THIS!!
OP, if you put your A levels on your CV, maybe you should put your GCSE and Year 9 sat results aswell :facepalm2:
Reply 3
Yes there is. They will look at your degree then work experience then A levls.
Reply 4
Noooo! I don't think the reductionist view is the best.

I mean yeah the A level is there mainly to get you into university but I'd depress the hell out of me to think it was a completely meaningless hoop jumping exercise in a chain of meaningless hoop jumping exercises that'll continue throughout your life... enjoy the journey!
Reply 5
A Levels do not look out of place on a graduate CV - some jobs (such as IB) require them.

There is nothing wrong with education for the sake of it and whilst A Levels are primarily seen as the route into university, they may open doors further down the line (particularly a language or maths)
They're important for jobs and graduate schemes, so yes they are useful.
Tsukuyomi
THIS!!
OP, if you put your A levels on your CV, maybe you should put your GCSE and Year 9 sat results aswell :facepalm2:

If you don't meet certain GCSE and A-Level requirements, then you can't get onto many Graduate schemes and good jobs. You can't just fail until 18/19, do well in a degree (at a lesser uni of course) and then hide your prior qualifications and land a top job. It doesn't work like that.
Physics Enemy
They're important for jobs and graduate schemes, so yes they are useful.

what do you mean by graduate schemes?
Aeon Prince
what do you mean by graduate schemes?

Employment after uni designed for graduates.
Reply 10
Physics Enemy
If you don't meet certain GCSE and A-Level requirements, then you can't get onto many Graduate schemes and good jobs. You can't just fail until 18/19, do well in a degree (at a lesser uni of course) and then hide your prior qualifications and land a top job. It doesn't work like that.

Do you know any examples of A-Level requirements? Am I ok with AAB? :confused:

I always thought there was more to them than just uni but it's just been so...depressing I guess hearing people just say oh youve got in, job done.
impossible!
Do you know any examples of A-Level requirements? Am I ok with AAB? :confused:

I always thought there was more to them than just uni but it's just been so...depressing I guess hearing people just say oh youve got in, job done.

It depends what you apply for. Unless I'm mistaken, the *big 4* ask for AAB/ABB, it depends on the firm and the position really. And also A/B in GCSE Maths and English, again dependant on firm and position. And then the 2.1 degree as you know.

My point was, a degree from a lesser uni isn't suddenly an excuse to ignore prior qualifications throughout your academic life.

Also, even for general jobs who aren't as rigid as typical graduate employers - They know something's up if you don't put your GCSEs and A-Levels down.

I'm pretty sure every graduate who got 10 A*'s at GCSE and 5 A's at A-Level (or A*'s now ... !) wouldn't just ignore them and state his/her 2.1 degree only.
Employers are usually very interested in A levels, so it's important you do your best.
you are educated, this gives you a advantage for jobs
Reply 14
You havent graduated yet so of course your A levels are still very important, if you go to apply for a summer job or some form of formal work experience they will look at your a levels as they are the highest qualification you will have achieved to date. After you graduate they are less important, but some employers still may ask for them
Reply 15
Physics Enemy
It depends what you apply for. Unless I'm mistaken, the *big 4* ask for AAB/ABB, it depends on the firm and the position really. And also A/B in GCSE Maths and English, again dependant on firm and position. And then the 2.1 degree as you know.

My point was, a degree from a lesser uni isn't suddenly an excuse to ignore prior qualifications throughout your academic life.

Also, even for general jobs who aren't as rigid as typical graduate employers - They know something's up if you don't put your GCSEs and A-Levels down.

I'm pretty sure every graduate who got 10 A*'s at GCSE and 5 A's at A-Level (or A*'s now ... !) wouldn't just ignore them and state his/her 2.1 degree only.

Yeah I see your point. Makes sense :rolleyes:
Also think of it from another perspective.

What % of graduates get a 2.1 or above in their degree? It's huge, I think it's over half.

What % of A-Level students get AAAA-A*A*A*A* or whatever? Pretty small, relatively.

How many jobs do these nice firms/companies have and how many applicants? How can they decide between them all and cull many in one big swoop?

It proves you are actually good at learning. A better differentiater sometimes than the degree but definitly shouldn't be dismissed as "just to get into Uni."

Latest