The Student Room Group

Just Got Your GCSE Results and Thinking of Applying for Medicine? Look Here First!

Scroll to see replies

Of course people move their ASs up at A2 :smile: Don't be discouraged! Just work really hard next year!

Sorry OP, didn't realise there were GCSEs. It's hard to say...there are some Uni's that accept C's, such as Durham. Take a look at this table and decide for yourself :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
TheDannyManCan
Wait, are those GCSEs or ASs? If they're ASs, don't worry too much. The lowest offer anywhere for medicine atm is AAB, so you could boost them. Most people are getting AAA and higher, though :frown:

thanks for the advice. they are AS results btw :s
Reply 42
Presidential
Maybe that was true a few years back.

Bah you old pessimist. I'm still full of pre-application enthusiasm, I'm still sure it could be done :colone:
Reply 43
So is it worth resitting gcse's in sixth form or just trying extra hard at a levels?
If you can get your tutor to predict you AAB, then it should be okay. What was the "3 c's and a d" bit all about, though?
Reply 45
Please note that GCSE requirements and the average GCSEs of successful applicants is a completely different thing.
Reply 46
They don't look at short courses and BTECs right? :colone:
Reply 47
Trying extra hard at A levels :smile:
Reply 48
Biology A
Physics B
Chemistry B
Maths B
English lit c
english lang c
history d
resistant materials c
Organ
Bah you old pessimist. I'm still full of pre-application enthusiasm, I'm still sure it could be done :colone:

Thats a good thing. I never had any confidence when I applied. lol
Reply 50
10 A*s just got them:woo: i reckon thtl b enough to get into medicinr
Reply 51
sadiqvaj
So is it worth resitting gcse's in sixth form or just trying extra hard at a levels?

Neither of those is likely to be enough. Certainly retaking GCSEs won't be of any use because the universities will still see how you did first time round.
Reply 52
okay i got 9 a* and 4 a's got an a in maths i was wondering whether this was good enough to apply to oxford and imperial is it worth going to oxford open day? teh a* include a shortcourse i know i need to do more work expereince
Reply 53
rsp
okay i got 9 a* and 4 a's got an a in maths i was wondering whether this was good enough to apply to oxford and imperial is it worth going to oxford open day? teh a* include a shortcourse i know i need to do more work expereince

Imperial yes. Oxford actually use a %A*, coupled with the BMAT score to draw up a shortlist for interview. Your percent will be 69% which isn't that high, so you would have to score highly on the BMAT. It's perfectly possible though. Out of interest why Imperial and Oxford?
Reply 54
What about these? And and idea of which Uni's? Or should I focus on being a teacher instead? Thanks

English Lit A*
English Language A
Maths A
Chemistry A
Biology B
Physics B (retaken hopefully, to get an A)
Leisure and Tourism 2 A's
French A
History A
RE A
Graphics B
IT Distinction (A)

I'm going to take English Lit, Chem, Bio and Psycology for A level, so hopefully that will make up for the Biology GCSE?
Vazzyb
Please note that GCSE requirements and the average GCSEs of successful applicants is a completely different thing.

This. Don't be naive ppl.
felt_monkey
I was just thinking, could there be a wiki page/thread on med schools that don't place much importance on GCSEs? It would have really helped me and providing a link will be easier than answering a question with 'well there's UCL...'

They can all be found here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements
razzler
10 A*s just got them:woo: i reckon thtl b enough to get into medicinr

Depends whether you **** up in your A levels, write a crap personal statement, don't do enough voluntary work and work experience, failed socially and are completely inept and cock up your interview. Oh and have luck against you.
10 A*s and 3 As.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
cool

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending