The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
CoffeeAtStarbucks
Nope. He's too arrogant, patronising and close minded for my liking.

He isn't remotely closed minded. No proper scientist is - they are the exact opposite. A closed-minded individual doesn't formulate a whole new way of thinking about evolution.

I'm not even particularly a Dawkins fan, some of the comments on this thread are just completely inane.

heyhey922
I suspect a lot of people dislike him because he's right.

True, I think people feel threatened. It would explain why people have such a strong reaction to an old man with a voice like a girl.
Reply 61
Organ
I'm not even particularly a Dawkins fan, some of the comments on this thread are just completely insane.

This.
I quite like the debates he's in. He's just stating the obvious arguments in a polite and well-mannered way. I'm really quite surprised how people can get so agitated by him.
Reply 63
scamoosh
yeah, pretty much all the professors at cambridge are idiots

Good job he's Oxford then.

Yes OP, I do like him and enjoy watching his programmes and reading his books. I also think he shows magnificent resolve in the face of stupendous ignorance, and I actually think he is rather restrained.
Reply 64
skotch
This + the fact that he's very stuck on his opinions and not willing to listen to others' views.

How is that a bad thing?
Reply 65
He's an evangelical atheist :yep:
Reply 66
He needs to stop choking on his own cock.
Reply 67
Remarqable M
he is a mad atheist. While Richard Dawkins doesn't use violence to spread athesism, he does use powerful emotives and clever propaganda to preach athesism and at the same time discredit religion. I personally, don't like him.

This.

And I hate organised religion.
he tends to be rather arrogant
but then you rarely see atheist extremists- miiiles better than a religious extremist - so i spose, any religious extremist/ strongly religious person would be arrogant...
Reply 69
jj193
He needs to stop choking on his own cock.

:hmmmm: i spose thats one way of putting it :lolwut:
Reply 70
AmiiRainbow
he tends to be rather arrogant
but then you rarely see atheist extremists- miiiles better than a religious extremist - so i spose, any religious extremist/ strongly religious person would be arrogant...

you could say that people like mao were atheist extremists.
Meh.
Reply 72
¡ ugo !

People like Mao were extremists who also happened to be atheists.
He CAN seem very militant - but I think that's what you have to be doing what he does when you want anyone to listen! He's certainly had a massive effect. All respect to him.
Reply 74
I used to absolutely hate him, because I used to believe in God.

...But now I don't mind him. I can't really have a proper opinion of him until I properly read/hear what he has to say, with an open mind..
Reply 75
Can't stand him.

I'm agnostic & got very excited when I read his books aged about 15, but I have since totally gone off him.

He's just so arrogantly disrespectful towards anyone who doesn't share his exact views (include minute differences of opinion concerning the rate and mechanisms of natural selection).

He may claim to be agnostic, but I doubt many Soviet Russian commisars could have matched him for blindly militant atheism.

He seems to regard the continued existence of religion as some kind of personal insult aimed at him.
Reply 76
¡ ugo !

How? I'd like to hear how you think Mao implemented a system based on atheist extremism.
kirstyljones
I think the reason The God Delusion isn't as in-depth or as complicated as it easily could be is because Dawkins wanted it to be a popular, easy-to-read book that summarises the main reasons why religion is illogical and how it damages society. If he had released a big, chunky, technical book it would have never got so much prominence and enabled those who have never questioned their religion the chance to think outside their religion. Xxx

While i agree with you, insofar as many of his points can be justified given more time and effort, it is still why i think that within the field of philosophy, he is overrated. Within biology, he may be incredible, but in philosophy, to be respected as much as Richard Dawkins is for his entry-level philosophy book, most philosophers would have to write an in-depth treatise.

I'm not trying to disagree with you, just explain why my opinion of him is as it is.
Yes.

His latest book is a very good read.
Never met him.

Latest

Trending

Trending