The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

tinker_bell4
Yes.

His latest book is a very good read.

:biggrin:
one of the top scientists of recent years, also a very good speaker/presenter/author.

basically, yes, lol
Reply 82
tw68
People like Mao were extremists who also happened to be atheists.

hmm thats more or less true.:yep: I think dawkins misses the point tho, its not really about deciding whether god exists, i think its more about whether or not religion is a good thing for society. Having said that i don't really dislike him, i just think if he's trying to deconvert people he's going the wrong way about it.
I was expecting a poll when I clicked on this.

Personally, I can't stand the man.
¡ ugo !
you could say that people like mao were atheist extremists.

Did his atheism have any effect on his extremism? If not, you could say he was an extremist baldy.
OceanInTheSky

:biggrin:

Errr, what? :curious:
I like him. I respect him as a scientist, I like his books, and I'm tempted to watch his TV series.
Reply 87
¡ ugo !
hmm thats more or less true.:yep: I think dawkins misses the point tho, its not really about deciding whether god exists, i think its more about whether or not religion is a good thing for society. Having said that i don't really dislike him, i just think if he's trying to deconvert people he's going the wrong way about it.

He dedicates most of his time in the books, documentaries and interviews to discussing exactly that. He argues that religious morality is harmful to society and his biggest gripe is the indoctrination of children. He says that children should be able to make up their own minds, instead of just being labelled a Muslim child, Christian child, Hindu etc..
He is a bit of an ********, but he plays by science, by the facts, and personally I respect someone who doesn't get taken in by all this hocus pocus *****.
tinker_bell4
Errr, what? :curious:

Fez.
Reply 90
Has he been in any recent debates with some better thiest intellects?
Particularly islamic ones, links etc would be much appreciated.
OceanInTheSky
Fez.

Ahh. All I saw was some 'allemoticons.com' thingy.
¡ ugo !
you could say that people like mao were atheist extremists.

really?
didn't know he was atheist
ok, well, dawkins definitely isn't like that- he's just incredibly passionate [sometimes to a point it's a little annoying :P] about atheism
Reply 93
He often uses very easy targets to emphasise his points, however I admire him for being able to structure complex arguments so well and at the same time talk to joe public in a way that is very easy to understand.
Reply 94
I am not a fan of his he's a pretty arrogent guy but worst of all he has spawned a swath of annoying little followers who infest the internet with their cool logic and blistering rationalism which they bought for the price of a paperback book and swallowed whole.
Reply 95
IMO...

lightburns
Did his atheism have any effect on his extremism? If not, you could say he was an extremist baldy.

Look at my last post. You could argue that the post darwinian god is dead atmosphere of the early 1900s contributed to the attitudes of the genocidal dictators. Maybe religion would have prevented some of what happened. Just throwing the idea out there. only speculation.

btw i dont think theres anything in the little red book about baldness :p:

tw68
He dedicates most of his time in the books, documentaries and interviews to discussing exactly that. He argues that religious morality is harmful to society and his biggest gripe is the indoctrination of children. He says that children should be able to make up their own minds, instead of just being labelled a Muslim child, Christian child, Hindu etc..

I saw that documentary, his points were pretty valid on the whole i thought. But i wish he would show something of the other side of the argument and maybe address the evolutionary origins of religion. There is a little to much of his opinion in there, he was kind of preaching about parenting. I have to say i don't accept that religion is always negative. Take football for example, theres a lot of football related violence, hooliganism an stuff like that, but thats not so much the dedication to a team as the mentalness of some people. Religion is what you make it, i think we should be critical of the way religion operates and not think it is above criticism but lets not forget some good does come of it. Politics/democracy is most of the time frustrating and difficult and for the vast majority of countries often unsuccessful but that doesn't mean we should discard it as a concept completely.
Reply 96
I love how people are talking about Mao, atheism extremism and Dawkins all in the same breath. I mean we should really get Dawkins to the Hague if he is that bad a guy.
Reply 97
He's alright. It annoys me that he gets slated for being arrogant about his views on religion whilst it's perfectly acceptable for a theist to be arrogant.
Reply 98
As a philosopher hes pretty poor.
Reply 99
¡ ugo !
IMO...

Look at my last post. You could argue that the post darwinian god is dead atmosphere of the early 1900s contributed to the attitudes of the genocidal dictators. Maybe religion would have prevented some of what happened. Just throwing the idea out there. only speculation.

btw i dont think theres anything in the little red book about baldness :p:

I saw that documentary, his points were pretty valid on the whole i thought. But i wish he would show something of the other side of the argument and maybe address the evolutionary origins of religion. There is a little to much of his opinion in there, he was kind of preaching about parenting. I have to say i don't accept that religion is always negative. Take football for example, theres a lot of football related violence, hooliganism an stuff like that, but thats not so much the dedication to a team as the mentalness of some people. Religion is what you make it, i think we should be critical of the way religion operates and not think it is above criticism but lets not forget some good does come of it. Politics/democracy is most of the time frustrating and difficult and for the vast majority of countries often unsuccessful but that doesn't mean we should discard it as a concept completely.

Seriously dude you need to look up the history of the relationship between religion and war.

Latest

Trending

Trending