The Student Room Group

Oxford Medicine Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elatadi
Hi! Congratulations to your high GCSE grades! You should certainly NOT give up your Oxford dream and hope it will come true! At least, it is a great motor to keep trying :wink:.
Wishing you good luck!

Aw thank you so much :smile: I think I just read you saying that you're hoping to apply for 2016 too? Good luck to you also- it's so mad to think that we are the next year to be applying!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by emem2011
Aw thank you so much :smile: I think I just read you saying that you're hoping to apply for 2016 too? Good luck to you also- it's so mad to think that we are the next year to be applying!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you also! Yes, I do. It is really unbelievable! I can't stop thinking about it since I discovered I could apply to Oxford! I'm so excited and nervous... One year passes away really fast. I've just found your 2016-aplicants-thread and think it was really helpful (thanks for creating it! :wink:).
Original post by Elatadi
Thank you also! Yes, I do. It is really unbelievable! I can't stop thinking about it since I discovered I could apply to Oxford! I'm so excited and nervous... One year passes away really fast. I've just found your 2016-aplicants-thread and think it was really helpful (thanks for creating it! :wink:).

I know! Have you ever been to Oxford? It's absolutely beautiful!!

Haha that's ok, I really wanted to get talking to other 2016 hopefuls too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know! Have you ever been to Oxford? It's absolutely beautiful!!

Haha that's ok, I really wanted to get talking to other 2016 hopefuls too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:smile: Glad to meet you here!
Unfortunately, I haven't been to Oxford yet. Actually, I've never been to the UK... :'( I really wanted to visit Oxford this September but then I couldn't so I'm still waiting for my chance. I'm currently applying to a summer school in Oxford and hope to get there for the open days next year.
But I keep watching Oxford videos and searching for information when I have time - it seems kind of magical to me... :smile: And looking at it and thinking about it makes me try and work harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Elatadi
:smile: Glad to meet you here!
Unfortunately, I haven't been to Oxford yet. Actually, I've never been to the UK... :'( I really wanted to visit Oxford this September but then I couldn't so I'm still waiting for my chance. I'm currently applying to a summer school in Oxford and hope to get there for the open days next year.
But I keep watching Oxford videos and searching for information when I have time - it seems kind of magical to me... :smile: And looking at it and thinking about it makes me try and work harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah you'll love it! The UK weather isn't great haha but you'll get used to it :smile: I'm hoping to apply to the summer school too, so maybe I'll see you there!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah you'll love it! The UK weather isn't great haha but you'll get used to it :smile: I'm hoping to apply to the summer school too, so maybe I'll see you there!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure I will! Good luck then - I'd be very glad to meet you in Oxford! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there! Haven't seen one around, so I thought I should start one!

I'm kind of new at this so here goes.

Stats:

GCSE: 10A*s
AS levels: AAAA
A2 predictions: A*A*A*A*
College: Christ Church

So let's discuss! BMAT anyone?
Maybe a poll of which college people have applied to would be fun? :smile: I've yet to find anyone else applying to Brasenose - I know there must be a fair few as it was the most oversubscribed last year! I found that out after applying and it's worrying me greatly :s-smilie:

GCSE: 11.5A* (damn you, short course RE)
AS Levels: AAAAA (one is critical thinking though)
A2 achieved: A* (it is general studies though - my school is way pushy)
College: Brasenose

BMAT going rather well just worried about messing it up on the day!!
GCSE: The standard oxford 10A*s
AS levels: AAA
A levels (achieved):A*D2 AA
College: Teddy Hall

BMAT was going ok up until today when I did 2012 and got 5.6 in S2...
Original post by mangafreak
Maybe a poll of which college people have applied to would be fun? :smile: I've yet to find anyone else applying to Brasenose - I know there must be a fair few as it was the most oversubscribed last year! I found that out after applying and it's worrying me greatly :s-smilie:

Dw about your college choice, you get interviewed by two colleges anyway to even it up a little :smile:

That's exactly what I'm worried about! I just hope my brain's up and running. Then I should be fine.

Haha I did an ICT short course in year 9 and got an A :frown: I emailed the admissions tutor though, and he/she said that short courses aren't taken into account when doing the GCSE calculations.

I was still mortified though, and decided not to put it on my UCAS form. Oh the troubles of the priveledged!
Original post by HiimAffie
GCSE: The standard oxford 10A*s
AS levels: AAA
A levels (achieved):A*D2 AA
College: Teddy Hall

BMAT was going ok up until today when I did 2012 and got 5.6 in S2...

Oh hey so you're on a gap year right now? What are your plans?
Okay so here's a question for you all. Why did you choose Oxford over Cambridge? Now be brutally honest.

My UMS average was 96, and I thought - might as well apply to Cambridge. Then I actually visited Cambridge. It was dire. I felt like I was being suffocated. It's probably because I had such high expectations for it, but it just wasn't nearly as beautiful as I had imagined.

Then I visited Oxford. Yes, of course, I was taken by the majesty of its towering spires. (I personally feel that Oxford is architecturally superior to Cambridge). But I think what really made me say yes was that The Oxford medics that I met on the open day, actually seemed like normal people. the open day was really informative, whereas the Cambridge open day for medicine was pretty much a mind-numbing twenty minute talk about statistics.

So I think overall, Oxford just seemed a lot more friendlier and a lot more fun. Also, better looking student body if you ask me..
Original post by TazzyBoo
That's exactly what I'm worried about! I just hope my brain's up and running. Then I should be fine.

Haha I did an ICT short course in year 9 and got an A :frown: I emailed the admissions tutor though, and he/she said that short courses aren't taken into account when doing the GCSE calculations.

I was still mortified though, and decided not to put it on my UCAS form. Oh the troubles of the priveledged!

Awh damn! I thought that was the case as the graphs in the stats only include whole numbers...

Wow well done on the UMS average!! Mine for AS (only done those) was 94.5% so I thought the same - it's half as competitive due to the extra places available! In complete agreement though that it's an abysmal city though. I was never even considering it as it's twice as far, but that just firmed it up in my mind due to Oxford's beauty (buildings and people yes) and lovely atmosphere. :smile:
Oh hey so you're on a gap year right now? What are your plans?

Up to now I've just be concentrating on using the fact that I dont have school to focus on the bmat, but in january im hoping to go to america to visit an uncle who works at johns hopkins, and to improve my coding by learning a few more languages.
Oh and work lol, lots of work.
Okay so here's a question for you all. Why did you choose Oxford over Cambridge? Now be brutally honest.

My UMS average was 96, and I thought - might as well apply to Cambridge. Then I actually visited Cambridge. It was dire. I felt like I was being suffocated. It's probably because I had such high expectations for it, but it just wasn't nearly as beautiful as I had imagined.

Then I visited Oxford. Yes, of course, I was taken by the majesty of its towering spires. (I personally feel that Oxford is architecturally superior to Cambridge). But I think what really made me say yes was that The Oxford medics that I met on the open day, actually seemed like normal people. the open day was really informative, whereas the Cambridge open day for medicine was pretty much a mind-numbing twenty minute talk about statistics.

So I think overall, Oxford just seemed a lot more friendlier and a lot more fun. Also, better looking student body if you ask me..

All my friends are at oxford, so it was a very easy decision for me.
Awh damn! I thought that was the case as the graphs in the stats only include whole numbers...

Wow well done on the UMS average!! Mine for AS (only done those) was 94.5% so I thought the same - it's half as competitive due to the extra places available! In complete agreement though that it's an abysmal city though. I was never even considering it as it's twice as far, but that just firmed it up in my mind due to Oxford's beauty (buildings and people yes) and lovely atmosphere. :smile:

Oh hey what do you read btw? Seeing that you're a "manga freak". Naruto? (Haha so mainstream)
Original post by HiimAffie
Up to now I've just be concentrating on using the fact that I dont have school to focus on the bmat, but in january im hoping to go to america to visit an uncle who works at johns hopkins, and to improve my coding by learning a few more languages.
Oh and work lol, lots of work.

Hey that sounds awesome! It's good that you can just focus wholly on the BMAT. Going to school is such a chore!

Oooh Johns Hopkins, that's rather prestigious! When you say languages, do you mean coding languages? Like the stuff for computers? (Sorry I sound like an uncultured twerp, I know nothing about computers).
Oh hey what do you read btw? Seeing that you're a "manga freak". Naruto? (Haha so mainstream)

Aha I find my name so embarrassing as I'm not nearly as into manga anymore but I can't change it! I could never get into Naruto, my favourites are Death Note and Monster.

My UMS average was also 96, so I thought applying to Cambridge would be a better decision seeing as it's statistically less competitive. But when it actually came down to deciding, I knew that I much preferred Oxford as a place to Cambridge. That's not to say Cambridge isn't a lovely city though.
...Also at Oxford it doesn't matter which college you apply to, whereas at Cambridge every college seems to use your UMS and BMAT differently- I couldn't be bothered to find a college with the right selection criteria for me, so I gave up on Cambridge there too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending