The Student Room Group

Oxford Medicine Students and Applicants

Hi everyone!

This thread is for any first-year medics coming to Oxford in 2010; John Locke suggested that someone make a thread and since I couldn't put it in the Courses and Colleges section it's going here instead. :smile:

It'd be really good if people mention their college, so we can all work out who's going to our respective colleges... :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I'm going to Christ Church. I haven't seen anyone else whose going to the same college as me but hopefully they'll all appear on this thread now...
I can't believe it's only about 5 weeks until we start!:smile:
Sarah182

a.sehgal

AnonymousPenguin

AnniG

hello
John Locke
hello

Which college will you be going to? I seem to have forgotten :frown: .
Reply 4
ooh good thread :biggrin:

well hi fellow medics :hello:

I'm going to LMH :smile:
I still haven't received the physical welcome pack from the college, but they have forms online and I'm thinking of sending them tomorrow, but I just want to make sure that's all of them. I wouldn't want to send all the forms save one tomorrow or something like that.

Were there any medicine-specific forms in your packs?
Reply 6
AnonymousPenguin
I still haven't received the physical welcome pack from the college, but they have forms online and I'm thinking of sending them tomorrow, but I just want to make sure that's all of them. I wouldn't want to send all the forms save one tomorrow or something like that.

Were there any medicine-specific forms in your packs?

My pack didn't have anything about medicine in it, just a student contract, next of kin form and some stuff about registering with a new gp.
7blue
My pack didn't have anything about medicine in it, just a student contract, next of kin form and some stuff about registering with a new gp.

Thanks, that was incredibly useful. Sent it all off now =D .
AnonymousPenguin
Which college will you be going to? I seem to have forgotten :frown: .

hmmm not sure how much anonymity i want to lose :p:

Spoiler

does anyone know which courses we do in MT? like OB/P&P or OB/Biochem etc? or is it all simultaneous?
John Locke
hmmm not sure how much anonymity i want to lose

Spoiler

does anyone know which courses we do in MT? like OB/P&P or OB/Biochem etc? or is it all simultaneous?

That is definitely a nice campus code. I was always under the impression that it's all simultaneous as they talk about intertwining threads.
AnonymousPenguin
That is definitely a nice campus code. I was always under the impression that it's all simultaneous as they talk about intertwining threads.

haha thanks :p: .

mmm fair enough, most of the first year stuff sounds to be alright in general anyway so im not too fussed :smile:. i'm curious as to how much anatomical detail OB will go in to, seems very challenging to learn such breadth of anatomy in one year, let alone with lots of depth! although i have no doubt it happens :p: .
Well I got the MedSoc Freshers pack today. Speed dating in 3rd week, rly?
Reply 12
AnonymousPenguin
Well I got the MedSoc Freshers pack today. Speed dating in 3rd week, rly?

Odds are there will be a few couples forming amongst your year that make it... (well - until FY2 & counting!) :wink: Although I am an advocate of the taking advantage of collegiate university & finding a non-medic. :p:

There are oodles of you on here!

Have fun - 6 years goes quickly. :yep:
Reply 13
New college for me :smile:
Medsoc pack made me chuckle... speed dating LOL
By the way who is joining the medsoc - the £40 is for life right? Also who is joining the BMJ?
Im thinking about applying to Merton College to study medicine for entry 2011. I was just wondering, as its such a prestigious and academic college, is it somewhat 'harder' to get into? Or do more people apply there due to its reputation. I really loved it on the open day, but am worried that the people applying there might be SUPER bright. Is it worth me applying to a less prestigious college? Or shall I go for Merton???

Help and advice pleeeeease!
Scourfield
Im thinking about applying to Merton College to study medicine for entry 2011. I was just wondering, as its such a prestigious and academic college, is it somewhat 'harder' to get into? Or do more people apply there due to its reputation. I really loved it on the open day, but am worried that the people applying there might be SUPER bright. Is it worth me applying to a less prestigious college? Or shall I go for Merton???

Help and advice pleeeeease!

So, you're worried about applying to OXFORD (considered one of the most elite uni's in the world) to study MEDICINE (the most challenging and reputable course) because you're afraid they are going to be 'too clever'. ahhem.
.:Doctor:.
So, you're worried about applying to OXFORD (considered one of the most elite uni's in the world) to study MEDICINE (the most challenging and reputable course) because you're afraid they are going to be 'too clever'. ahhem.

I was just wondering if the more prestigious colleges had stronger applicants?
Reply 17
dont spoil his dreams,im sure hell get in..........ahem....
Scourfield
I was just wondering if the more prestigious colleges had stronger applicants?

Oh, sorry I didn't read the bit about the colleges (it's late/early shhh), simple answer: yes, but don't be put of from applying - there wont be much difference.
Reply 19
You're saying it like u got in or something... Be grateful if u even get an interview!! That tooo for medicinee!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending