The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Is Lancaster a good university?

Scroll to see replies

How's Sheffield in comparison to Lancaster?
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 21
tfxx
Don't have much to say, but don't you support the point, that we can't compare universities overall? Every single university has strong departments among with some not that good departments. The same is here. You might call me biased as I'm going to be a fresher this year, but from everything I read, Lancaster's power is in the Business/Management School. Lanc Management School and one more business department of university (cant remember the name) are the only rated 6* schools in the UK. And talking about research quality, lets take a look in RAE 2008 UNIT 36 Business and Managemenet Studies. It looks like Manchester, Warwick and Cardiff are the only universities with more overall research points. So what does that mean? That none of the so called "top 10" universities pay enough attention to researches and those researches show how up-to-date the teaching is.

Lancaster is one of the most heavily funded research institutions in the countries. It is compulsory for the staff/tutors to spend at least 30% of their time doing research.

Lancaster has a world renowned Management department with millions spent on 21st century facilities and completely new and modern en-suite accommodation.

It ranks consistently in the top 10 on subjects, unlike other unis which seem to favour one subject over another. I am doing politics where Lancaster is only 11th best, but my girlfriend is doing Theatre & Arts where it ranks higher than the top dedicated theatre and drama performing colleges in London.

The reason Lancaster has risen dramatically in the league tables is not because of some temporary blip, it has because it has been consistently well funded in the last few years, and keeps her students interests at heart.

That is all.
Reply 22
still_serenity
How's Sheffield in comparison to Lancaster?

Just as good.
Reply 23
River85
Hmmm...you're not one of those who thinks Newcastle and Liverpool are amongst the weaker Russell Group universities, but have nothing to back that up with?

It's hard to compare universities. Reading and Newcastle are of very different sizes for a start, with different strengths (Newcastle having a large medical school - something lacking in Reading). Reading's strengths being areas like business (through Henley) and Real Estate.

I think Newcastle is 15th in terms of research income. Higher than Warwick, LSE, Durham and certainly higher than Reading.

Even going by league tables Newcastle is often in the late teens and early 20s (with Reading, and Liverpool, in the 30s - 40s).

This, especially the last point, doesn't mean that I think Newcastle is significantly stronger than Reading. I just don't see why Newcastle is weaker than other universities who I'm assuming you (and others) think are stronger. From St Andrews, to Exeter, to Bath, to Leeds.

This isn't directed so much at orca92, but it will be interesting to know which universities he consider to be of a similar standard to Manchester.

You refer to Manchester's research quality, and is is certainy a university with very large research power. But in a number ofvdepartments Lancaster and Manchester having in common then it's Lancaster who offer research of a higher quality (and quantity) or there isn't too much in it. The difference between the two being size with Manchester having a far, far greater breadth of departments.

I would rank the unis that Yoyo mentioned in order as Newcastle, Liverpool, Lancaster, Reading. Obviously they all have strengths in different areas but that's how i'd rank them overall.

I would say that Manchester is roughly on a par with Nottingham, Sheffield, Leicester, Southampton, Glasgow and Birmingham. But then again, the unis have strengths in different areas; Nottingham for economics isn't comparable with the other unis economics departments yet Leicester, Manchester and Sheffield are better than Nottingham for biology.
its improved greatly in recent years with much investment and the league tables show it.
a great collegiate system and i know a fair lot of people who go there that absolutely love the place
Reply 25
orca92
x

Lancaster's research is actually better. Very research-intensive, whether that is a good or bad thing is another issue entirely.

Lancaster is well funded and students tend to have a great time there.

Although I'd agree that Manchester would still be considered "better" by the majority, Lancaster's Management School, for instance, is very highly regarded in Europe and employers recognise its value.

To anyone saying it's not top ten, it's ranked sixth by one league table and some faculties, like the aforementioned Management school are clearly even more highly-acclaimed. Many faculties have found their way into the top 10/15 this year. That said, I expect it to go down from sixth and not up next year.

If you're doing Economics, Accounting, Finance, Management etc. etc. then you don't need to worry about the Uni's overall reputation so much, as the Management School has a fantastic one :smile:
lol. how can you put those two wors together.''lancaster'' and ''good''
Reply 27
johnny quest
lol. how can you put those two wors together.''lancaster'' and ''good''

You're probably one of those people who go:

'ZOMG NOT TOP 5 THEREFORE NOT A GOOD UNI LOLOLOL'

Truth of the matter is that Lancaster is a great university.
Ultimate1
You're probably one of those people who go:

'ZOMG NOT TOP 5 THEREFORE NOT A GOOD UNI LOLOLOL'

Truth of the matter is that Lancaster is a great university.

lol.i was being sarcastic.:p:
Reply 29
johnny quest
lol.i was being sarcastic.:p:

Ok, I'm very sorry. :o:

:sexface:
lancaster is now number 11 in the guardian league tables 2012 for law ust under kcl so it cant be as bad as most people are making it out to be and id definately say its improving every year. i will definately be going to view it this year before i choose the universitys i will be applying too in september!
Reply 31
Seems to have risen this year, now in top 10 for all the major league tables, which is nice as I'll be there next week :P
Reply 32
It's hard to 'rate' a university among others for 2 reasons.

1. I doubt noone here has visited them all, therefore are taking on the opinions and perceptions of other people and creating a judgement.

2. We all weight factors of university differently. Whether its a single department you're looking at, how social the uni is, the satisfaction levels. Some things are more important to other people than they might be for you .

I rate Lancaster as a top 10 for business studies. But this department gets quite a large investment from the university so is one of its strong subjects. Also, if you look at the major league tables published by the Times and the Guardian you'll see Lancaster is generally getting better and better. In a few years, who knows, top 3? :wink:
Reply 33
It is not only good for business, it is also good for arts and humanities; in fact it is rated 31st in the world for that.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/arts-and-humanities.html
Reply 34
Original post by Millz
It is not only good for business, it is also good for arts and humanities; in fact it is rated 31st in the world for that.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/arts-and-humanities.html

I didn't say it was only good for business, I agree it has lots of strong subjects :smile: As do most universities.
Reply 35
Original post by reeces101
I didn't say it was only good for business, I agree it has lots of strong subjects :smile: As do most universities.

cool dude:smile:
It's a bloody good University. The grade requirements are AAA-AAB and in all of the league tables it comes very highly:

The Guardian - 7th
Complete University Guide - 9th
The Times - 9th
The Sunday Times - 18th

Now, as many have said, this doesn't provide absolute proof that it's a good University, but it shows the trend. Lancaster is highly-regarded, has high student satisfaction rates, a lot of spending and 98% of its research is considered 'world class', not to mention its Management School is considered the best in the country.
Reply 37
Original post by PaulMcCartney
It's a bloody good University. The grade requirements are AAA-AAB and in all of the league tables it comes very highly:

The Guardian - 7th
Complete University Guide - 9th
The Times - 9th
The Sunday Times - 18th

Now, as many have said, this doesn't provide absolute proof that it's a good University, but it shows the trend. Lancaster is highly-regarded, has high student satisfaction rates, a lot of spending and 98% of its research is considered 'world class', not to mention its Management School is considered the best in the country.

Ratings, are you going Lancaster too ?
Reply 38
It's amazing for linguistics, I'm pretty sure it's in the top 5. It's in the top 10 for most subjects actually (judging my league tables) which is an achievement. It's a small city/university though so it is more difficult for it to achieve a wide spread reputation such as that of Manchester etc. It takes a while for small places (Durham for example) to gain a wide spread reputation. I personally chose Lancaster over Sheffield, Southampton, Leeds etc. Which are good, bigger, universities.
How reputable is there maths and economics degree. I know they don't do mechanics but I really need it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending