The Student Room Group

The GTTR application guide and FAQ thread *please read 1st post*

Scroll to see replies

You can ask them to accept another ps, but they don't BA e to. Not sure if there's anything else you could do I'm afraid
Original post by Miss_Scarlet
Hi everyone,
Hope someone can help me as quickly as possible.

I only applied to one university to do a PGCE and found out yesterday that I have sadly not been given an offer. I applied very late in the cycle and thought I would either get a place at that Uni, or, even if I didn't, I presumed it would be too late to apply anywhere else anyway.

However, I have decided I definitely want to do the PGCE course this coming year and there is one other university that I have now also become interested in, which still has places.

My problem is that I wrote my personal statement very much aimed at the university that has rejected me (even naming the uni itself and why I wanted to be there specifically etc, because I did not expect to apply anywhere else).

I cannot see any way to edit my personal statement through GTTR now, seems to be locked info. Can I edit/change my personal statement now that I am applying elsewhere, so that it is not aimed so clearly only at the one university? How do I do this? I considered phoning the number on the GTTR site, but they are probably closed tomorrow.

Any suggestions are useful, as I need to apply asap else there may no longer be places. Please quote me if you reply. Thank you.
Now that I've finally been invited for a PGCE interview I realise I've made some mistakes with my GCSE grades in my application.

Specifically, I mixed up two GCSE grades and put down one as an 'A' and the other as a 'B' when they should have been the other around. I also put down the wrong exam board for my Maths GCSE. The worst mistake of all is that I put on the application that I got an A for Statistics when I actually got a C.

I'm really embarrassed that I've made such stupid mistakes but, in my defense, I currently live in Spain and do not have access to my exam certificates (which are 15 years old btw). When I completed my PGCE application I was relying on an email sent by my brother (who has the certificates in the UK) which contained the mistakes. Now that I come to check the certificates again in readiness for the interview I realise the mistakes.

Even with the 'down-grade' in one of my marks I still meet all the qualifying criteria. The rest of my application is pretty solid (and accurate!):- First-class degree, four years experience volunteering in Primary Schools, currently working as an EFL teacher in Spain.

If I call up the uni and admit to the mistakes before the interview day will it cause a huge problem? I hope it's obvious to anyone that this is a genuine mistake and that I'm clearly not trying to deceive anyone.

Appreciate any advice/comments.

Thanks
You need to fix this as, if you are successful at interview, you will eventually have to show the PGCE provider the certificates.
they only ask to see the Maths, Science and English certificates, so if they are correct I wouldn't worry about it too much, maybe just mention it at your interview
Reply 24
Original post by ThisCharmingMan1
Now that I've finally been invited for a PGCE interview I realise I've made some mistakes with my GCSE grades in my application.

Specifically, I mixed up two GCSE grades and put down one as an 'A' and the other as a 'B' when they should have been the other around. I also put down the wrong exam board for my Maths GCSE. The worst mistake of all is that I put on the application that I got an A for Statistics when I actually got a C.

I'm really embarrassed that I've made such stupid mistakes but, in my defense, I currently live in Spain and do not have access to my exam certificates (which are 15 years old btw). When I completed my PGCE application I was relying on an email sent by my brother (who has the certificates in the UK) which contained the mistakes. Now that I come to check the certificates again in readiness for the interview I realise the mistakes.

Even with the 'down-grade' in one of my marks I still meet all the qualifying criteria. The rest of my application is pretty solid (and accurate!):- First-class degree, four years experience volunteering in Primary Schools, currently working as an EFL teacher in Spain.

If I call up the uni and admit to the mistakes before the interview day will it cause a huge problem? I hope it's obvious to anyone that this is a genuine mistake and that I'm clearly not trying to deceive anyone. [...]

It seems quite a few providers are using GCSE (and A level) grades to discriminate applicants. I always thought that the requirement was merely a formality; that is, to have a particular standard. But two of the three universities that interviewed me for secondary and FE PGCEs made a big deal out wanting to know all my GCSE results (I only put down my English and mathematics grades), and one even put my application on hold (after the interview...) because I did not have evidence for my A level results despite the fact it was not even listed as a requirement...

I would talk to them as soon as possible.
Hi everyone,
Hope someone can help me as quickly as possible.

I only applied to one university to do a PGCE and found out yesterday that I have sadly not been given an offer. I applied very late in the cycle and thought I would either get a place at that Uni, or, even if I didn't, I presumed it would be too late to apply anywhere else anyway.

However, I have decided I definitely want to do the PGCE course this coming year and there is one other university that I have now also become interested in, which still has places.

My problem is that I wrote my personal statement very much aimed at the university that has rejected me (even naming the uni itself and why I wanted to be there specifically etc, because I did not expect to apply anywhere else).

I cannot see any way to edit my personal statement through GTTR now, seems to be locked info. Can I edit/change my personal statement now that I am applying elsewhere, so that it is not aimed so clearly only at the one university? How do I do this? I considered phoning the number on the GTTR site, but they are probably closed tomorrow.

Any suggestions are useful, as I need to apply asap else there may no longer be places. Please quote me if you reply. Thank you.

Hi there,

I did exactly the same thing - applied to a Uni where I thought I was above and beyond what they expected from an applicant, specifically quoting them in my application..and then not getting a place. I checked with the GTTR and there is no way of changing it I'm afraid.
Yeah so it seems.
I have applied to another choice anyway, but sent them an email regarding my personal statement along with it.

If I call up the uni and admit to the mistakes before the interview day will it cause a huge problem? I hope it's obvious to anyone that this is a genuine mistake and that I'm clearly not trying to deceive anyone.

Appreciate any advice/comments.

Thanks

oh dear :s-smilie: . You're going to have to tell the place that you're going to the intervew for sooner or later. At some point you'll have to show the certificates anyway and it'll look better if you've told them.

As long as you have a grade C in English Language and Maths I can't see it causing a huge problem. And you've said that you still meet all of the criteria, so they can't refuse to interview you or anything. Definately ring up beforehand because I'm sure you don't want to be causing a delay on the interview day, you'll probably be stressed enough about the interview. Just explain the situation to them, I'm sure they'll understand, they've probably dealt with a similar situation before.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted soon :smile:
Thanks to everyone who's replied. I've called the uni and explained the problem and now I'm waiting to hear back from them. I'll write again once I know what the outcome is.
Heard back from the uni today to say they still want to interview me despite the alterations to the application form. Thanks again to everyone who replied.
Heard back from the uni today to say they still want to interview me despite the alterations to the application form. Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Good.
Reply 31

Good luck with the interview.
Yeah so it seems.
I have applied to another choice anyway, but sent them an email regarding my personal statement along with it.

I just applied for the PGCE also. Out of curiosity, what uni's did you apply to, and in what subject or is it primary? I applied to 4 programs #1 choice is IOE for Geography and then London Met or Middlesex for citizenship
Hi Everyone I have decided to apply for my pgce this year so I only have a little while to do it. I have a couple of questons. I did a degree in Physiology in Scotland and I have no idea what modules I did, they were all general science ones, would it be ok to just put physiology 100% or should I try to find out what ones I did. Also I dont have my gcse certificates any more. Will I need to get a copy of them if successful?
Original post by Shantelle121
Hi Everyone I have decided to apply for my pgce this year so I only have a little while to do it. I have a couple of questons. I did a degree in Physiology in Scotland and I have no idea what modules I did, they were all general science ones, would it be ok to just put physiology 100% or should I try to find out what ones I did. Also I dont have my gcse certificates any more. Will I need to get a copy of them if successful?

I just put 'psychology 100%' in mine, so that should be fine. As for the GCSE certificates, you will definitely need copies of them (try and get them asap)
Reply 35

You can not do a PGCE unless you have GCSE C or above in English, maths (plus science for primary) so you will DEFINITELY need your GCSE certificates. You will be asked for them before you're invited to interview or to bring them on the day of the interview and if you do not have them they can not offer you a place regardless of your other qualifications because this is a basic government requirement for all teachers.

With regards to your degree, if you did extra subjects in 1st and 2nd year, then put them on your GTTR form. If you're applying to a Scottish uni they know that the GTTR form doesn't really relate to Scottish degrees so will send you another form to enter it more clearly after you've applied.
Reply 36
Also, I'd just like to mention how good it feels to be finished! I'm starting my job on Monday and I'm super excited!

So if you have any questions at all, about the application process, student finance, the PGCE year, QTS skills tests, or teaching in general - ask away! Try to quote me so I don't accidentally miss your questions, though :smile:
Original post by vinylate
Also, I'd just like to mention how good it feels to be finished! I'm starting my job on Monday and I'm super excited!

So if you have any questions at all, about the application process, student finance, the PGCE year, QTS skills tests, or teaching in general - ask away! Try to quote me so I don't accidentally miss your questions, though :smile:

Hi Vinylate,

Congrats on finishing your PGCE! :smile:

Is there anything that you wish you knew before you started? Any advice for a 2011 PGCE starter, to help make the PGCE year easier?? xx
Reply 38
Original post by vinylate

Well done! :hugs: Can't wait till i'm in the same position! :biggrin:

How do you go about lesson planning? And also, to add to Stephies question...what can we do during the summer hols to prepare ourselves?

I was actually going to create a new topic one this subject...still am, but i'd still like to know how you go about it. You can read how i go about it on the new topic thread! :colondollar:

Again, many congrats and good luck with the job hunt. :smile:

I have now created a lesson plan thread :-)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Congratulations!! I have a couple of question :smile:

Did you enjoy it? I know mostly people post on here when they are having problems but it sounds like people have had a horrendous time.

Also, which university did you go to??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending