The Student Room Group

The GTTR application guide and FAQ thread *please read 1st post*

Scroll to see replies

Yeah maybe thats it. I was first reserve last year but never thought of doing deferred entry. Im hoping to get back through to interview now i have more experience.
omg are you guys all serious?!?! i didnt think we would need to apply this early!! help! do you think its too late to start?
I have done an Education Studies degree, and I'm not too sure what I should put for that section.

I was going to put the modules, but that would mean putting in the credits, and not percentages. What do you guys think :smile:
Reply 143
Hi,

I have picked my references, but haven't asked them yet. I'm currently doing a few weeks of work experience in a Primary school (I'm applying for Primary PGCE) and want the class teacher to write my first reference. For my second reference, I am going to ask my university academic supervisor. Do you think these sound ok, or should I be putting them the other way around? I don't know whether a reference talking about what I'm like in the classroom is better than one discussing my academic performance.

Thanks!
Hey,

I was told by the pgce admissions that the academic reference should always be the primary one. It says on gttr if you are in uni or have left within 5 years your uni lecturer should be the first reference. Hope this helps!
I don't know the GTTR rules, but usually a referee should have known you in a professional capacity for a significant amount of time, more than just a few weeks.
Original post by AwesomelyPsycho
I have done an Education Studies degree, and I'm not too sure what I should put for that section.

I was going to put the modules, but that would mean putting in the credits, and not percentages. What do you guys think :smile:

After speaking to a friend who is doing a primary pgce this year, she said

"i listed all my modules for all 3 years and how many credits they were... id probably at least name your final year modules xxx"

So I have decided to list my modules from this year and use credits because percentages just doesnt work if you have to keep rounding but it still has to equal 100 :confused:

xx
Reply 147
Original post by victoria13
omg are you guys all serious?!?! i didnt think we would need to apply this early!! help! do you think its too late to start?

Most people seem to those reapplying - like myself - you have plenty of time don't worry!
Reply 148
Original post by GDP
I applied early but I don't stand a chance, doesn't change much in the end :smile:
As providers are likely not to give any answer before January, you're not late at all to apply!

They do get back to you much sooner than Jan in my experience. Last year I applied and received around about nowish (Although last year GTTR went like in September) and i had an interview at Oxford for early December. So i would say about a month.

Fingers crossed and positive thoughts!
Original post by C4OShea
Most people seem to those reapplying - like myself - you have plenty of time don't worry!

ah ok, im working on the application today....

i have a few questions though....

In the education section it says to give an english, maths and science gcse thing and then to add other qualifications below.... do i add the english and maths and science ones again, especially as i have a levels in maths, further maths, physics and chemistry?

Also, in the degree breakdown, do you put individual modules or just the subject?

Thanks guys xx
Reply 150
Original post by victoria13
ah ok, im working on the application today....

i have a few questions though....

In the education section it says to give an english, maths and science gcse thing and then to add other qualifications below.... do i add the english and maths and science ones again, especially as i have a levels in maths, further maths, physics and chemistry?

Also, in the degree breakdown, do you put individual modules or just the subject?

Thanks guys xx

i didn't repeat the maths English and science. but i would certainly put in your a levels in.

as for your modules i just added up the number of credits for politics i think it was 320 and then 40 for economics
Original post by AwesomelyPsycho
Epping. I've gone through my old UCAS form, and there I've put 'Essex'. I assume I shall have to put that one again.

Yep - you do need to put Essex - the funding is/was done by highest authority - in your case Essex County Council. I think it's actually now all one Student Finance England service, but not sure whether this extends to PGCEs etc.
Original post by Rhiani-ani-on

"i listed all my modules for all 3 years and how many credits they were... id probably at least name your final year modules xxx"

So I have decided to list my modules from this year and use credits because percentages just doesnt work if you have to keep rounding but it still has to equal 100 :confused:

xx

I did that last year. They need to know the modules you studied so that they can see the relevance to the curriculum. So, I had done a degree in English, but I listed every module from my 2nd and 3rd years and the percentage they made to my final mark. At the interview they used it to see where my strengths lay in English, and pointed out the I hadn't done much Shakespeare, so would need to work on that over the summer before the PGCE.
Reply 153
For filling in the module percentages etc., what if none of your modules directly link to the curriculum? I'm applying for Primary PGCE, and have my degree in Environmental Geography, all of my modules are things like forest management and environmental economics, which i'm pretty sure aren't taught in primary!! Should I just put environmental geog 100% or list all of them anyway, even though it wont gain me anything?

Thanks!
Reply 154
Has anyone actually 100% processed their application i.e. they have paid GTTR? My tutor is taking his time!
Original post by C4OShea
Has anyone actually 100% processed their application i.e. they have paid GTTR? My tutor is taking his time!

Ditto that, going to ask him again on Monday, everything is ready to go, just waiting on the reference still!
My reference is the same. She said she would do it on the day it opens then emailed me saying she isnt doing it until tuesday!! How annoying.
Reply 157
Original post by ykh24
For filling in the module percentages etc., what if none of your modules directly link to the curriculum? I'm applying for Primary PGCE, and have my degree in Environmental Geography, all of my modules are things like forest management and environmental economics, which i'm pretty sure aren't taught in primary!! Should I just put environmental geog 100% or list all of them anyway, even though it wont gain me anything?

Thanks!

I would think that you should try and break them down into primary subjects like maths, geography and science if you can.
Reply 158
Don't over think things like this. They will look at your degree classification, first and foremost, your reference letter, personal statement and work experience. Last year i received interview from Oxford and Warwick and simple put Politics 320 credit Economics 40 Credits (Rhiani-ani-on it does say % or credit value FYI)
Original post by Rhiani-ani-on

xx

Alright, I've listed all the modules and the credits they're worth, which equals 360. It sounds a little easier than having to do percentages. Especially as my degree doesn't have specific subjects, but moudles on those subjects. Thanks for the help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending