The Student Room Group

Self-teaching A-levels; where to start?

Okay, I'm taking a gap year this year and want to take some extra A-levels to a) give me something to do and b) make my UCAS application look better. I'm not too sure that I actually want to take exams etc. on them through college; really I just want to do a bit of extra study in the areas that interest me, but following an A-level course structure to guide me in what to learn etc. The subjects in question would probably be..History, Law, Italian, Classics, Chemistry and Psychology (I couldn't narrow it down! :p: ) So basically, what kind of books, online resources would be useful in self-teaching these subjects? And does anyone have any tips for independent study like this? Cheers for any replies :smile:
This is same for me!! but i'm doing AS accounting in my gap year. Also need tips. I don't understand why you would want to study those and not take exams- might aswell make it recognised?? Surely if you put them down on say your PS you may want to back it up with real exam results.
Casshern1456
This is same for me!! but i'm doing AS accounting in my gap year. Also need tips. I don't understand why you would want to study those and not take exams- might aswell make it recognised?? Surely if you put them down on say your PS you may want to back it up with real exam results.

I would if it didn't cost so much! :p: Plus I don't even think my college will let me do one retake of a subject I was doing there, let alone a couple of subjects I've never done before as an independent candidate :frown: I may ask to do one or two somewhere else though; we'll see how much I enjoy it!
I can see why you say that, you've already got the grades to go onto most uni courses, i'm doing my exam as a private candidate and it cost £15 for each paper- i also did a couple in January but i was a late entry so i had to pay £30 for each paper:frown:. I guess the trick is to apply early if you plan to do the exams otherwise it would cost so much more.:p:
Casshern1456
I can see why you say that, you've already got the grades to go onto most uni courses, i'm doing my exam as a private candidate and it cost £15 for each paper- i also did a couple in January but i was a late entry so i had to pay £30 for each paper:frown:. I guess the trick is to apply early if you plan to do the exams otherwise it would cost so much more.:p:

Ahh see my college charges £25 for each paper :frown: I'll check out other colleges to find any cheaper ones though :biggrin:

Latest