The Student Room Group
Reply 1
??
Reply 2
It doesn't matter what you do for the fifth AS, so take Psychology.:smile:
Reply 3
"Bangor University - BSc (Hons) Psychology, first year" - Hey, I hope your not biased :biggrin:
Reply 4
I honestly see no point in doing a fifth subject, but as thats not my decision to make take psychology :smile:
Reply 5
penumbra973
"Bangor University - BSc (Hons) Psychology, first year" - Hey, I hope your not biased :biggrin:

Well, I guess I'm a little biased due to the fact that I study Psychology lol, but I know that the requirements to get into med school is 3 A levels including Biology and Chemistry. As long as your third A level subject is strong then you can apply to most unis and get offers. My oldest sister does Medicine and she talks to me about it, so it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about.:smile:

If it helps, my sister did Biology, Chemistry, Maths (English Lit at AS). She wanted to take up Psychology AS in the second year but her sixth form didn't allow her. Unfortunately, she didn't get straight into Med school (her downfall was her average AS grades and average predicted grades, not the subject choices), but got in via the Biomedical Science route. She's now in her final year of Medicine.
Reply 6
If you're not really sure, I wouldn't really do it. You just don't need to.
Get 4 really good AS marks
AAAAB with the A's between 80-90% UMS won't look as good as AAAA all >90% UMS and for medicine, it's definitely quality you need.
Reply 7
WTF is Perspectives on Science?! If you want to get into Medicine, just do Chemistry and Biology, and Maths if you like...
Reply 8
bruce_t89
Well, I guess I'm a little biased due to the fact that I study Psychology lol, but I know that the requirements to get into med school is 3 A levels including Biology and Chemistry. As long as your third A level subject is strong then you can apply to most unis and get offers. My oldest sister does Medicine and she talks to me about it, so it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about.:smile:

If it helps, my sister did Biology, Chemistry, Maths (English Lit at AS). She wanted to take up Psychology AS in the second year but her sixth form didn't allow her. Unfortunately, she didn't get straight into Med school (her downfall was her average AS grades and average predicted grades, not the subject choices), but got in via the Biomedical Science route. She's now in her final year of Medicine.

:smile: I wasn't saying you didn't know what you were talking about lol, thanks for the extra info - I'm leaning towards psychology now - and congrats to your sister:congrats:
I wouldn't bother tbh. Better to get 4 a's than 2a's and 2 b's.
Reply 10
What are your other subjects?
As others said: its best to excel in 4 subjects than merely do well in 5.
Reply 12
penumbra973
:smile: I wasn't saying you didn't know what you were talking about lol, thanks for the extra info - I'm leaning towards psychology now - and congrats to your sister:congrats:

Yeah I know, I just brought it up myself, I know you didn't mention or implied anything like that lol. Just assuring you.:smile:

Cool, you'll definitely enjoy Psychology (no bias there :biggrin: )

My sister said thanks:biggrin:

Good luck with your A levels and application for Medicine:smile:
Reply 13
Banana_123
What are your other subjects?

Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Spanish - I got A*'s in them all and I think I can do well at AS Level if I work hard, I don't think taking another AS level will bring me down to B's - its just choosing which one :confused:
Reply 14
penumbra973
Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Spanish - I got A*'s in them all and I think I can do well at AS Level if I work hard, I don't think taking another AS level will bring me down to B's - its just choosing which one :confused:

There pretty tough subjects, I personally wouldn't do another especially if its not because you love the subject.
Do whatever you're interested in for your 5th AS. I did philosophy and really enjoyed it. Don't worry about having too many to get all As, they're piss easy.
Reply 16
Nucleolus
WTF is Perspectives on Science?! If you want to get into Medicine, just do Chemistry and Biology, and Maths if you like...

I think OP just wants to know people opinions on doing science or psychology as a 5th AS :rolleyes:

To OP I see no benefit to you doing a 5th subject. Most requirements is 3 A levels + 1 additional AS at a B usually.

I'd stick with 4, you're more likely to do better :biggrin:

Latest