The Student Room Group

Applying to Two Courses at the Same University

Hello,
I am an international student, so I am not familiar with what is permissible with UCAS when it comes to applying. I am currently applying to 4 universities and 5 courses, 2 of which are at the same university. My question is:

Does applying to two different courses at the same University (example Geography and International Studies) hinder your chance of getting admitted to either course, or ruin your chance of getting admitted to the University? I will be applying to two different courses at KCL and I am worried maybe this is not the best idea.

Any input would be great,
Thank you,
American student

Scroll to see replies

acbi3
Hello,
I am an international student, so I am not familiar with what is permissible with UCAS when it comes to applying. I am currently applying to 4 universities and 5 courses, 2 of which are at the same university. My question is:

Does applying to two different courses at the same University (example Geography and International Studies) hinder your chance of getting admitted to either course, or ruin your chance of getting admitted to the University? I will be applying to two different courses at KCL and I am worried maybe this is not the best idea.

Any input would be great,
Thank you,
American student

Some unis make it so that you can only hold one offer from them; UCL do, or at least they definitely did a couple of years ago - my friend got rejected from archaeology on the sole basis that they thought she was a better applicant for Egyptian archaeology (which she got an offer for.) However, most don't and, unless they can be particularly bothered to run your name through the system, won't know you've applied there twice.

However, those subjects are wildly different; could you write a PS convincing an admissions tutor that you're committed to both of them?
I applied to Leeds for Biology and Zoology and got an offer for both and a few friends of mine applied for History/Ancient History and got offers too. Not at Leeds though, can't remember where now :p: Just depends on the uni/course/how good your application is, I guess.
This happened to me last year. I applied to Keele University to do my course which I'm doing now and the same course with a foundation year. The university were fine with it and allowed me to choose when the time came round. Another bonus about Keele is the fact you can do more than one one subject for example biomedical science and music.
I know someone who applied for three courses at one university and got offers from each course. The courses were are related - variations on a business degree.

If you have concerns you could always e-mail the university and ask if they have any policies about people applying for more than one course.
Reply 5
Thank you for your response!

Yes, I believe I could write a personal statement trying to convince how I want to study both. I want to study the BA in Geography, which is more focused on social geographical issues (human geography), and is more of a social science based course. Both geography and international studies are internationally focused, concerning people's and populations from around the world. I feel as though the two courses would overlap in some degree. Do you think applying for such different courses in my personal statement would hinder my chance of admission in general? I am also applying for social anthropology at another university.
Each admissions department only sees the choice that is relevant to them; the other 4 are blacked out on the copy that they recieve. If you apply to 2 courses that share an admissions department (like archaeology and Egyptian archaeology would) then obiously they would know, but if not they wouldn't know.. untill they looked at your PS.

Remember that you have about 40 lines to write your PS in and showing how commited you are to one subject in that little space is hard enough.

Good luck for your application :smile:
Reply 7
TheSownRose
Some unis make it so that you can only hold one offer from them; UCL do, or at least they definitely did a couple of years ago - my friend got rejected from archaeology on the sole basis that they thought she was a better applicant for Egyptian archaeology (which she got an offer for.) However, most don't and, unless they can be particularly bothered to run your name through the system, won't know you've applied there twice.

However, those subjects are wildly different; could you write a PS convincing an admissions tutor that you're committed to both of them?

Thank you for your response!

Yes, I believe I could write a personal statement trying to convince how I want to study both. I want to study the BA in Geography, which is more focused on social geographical issues (human geography), and is more of a social science based course. Both geography and international studies are internationally focused, concerning people's and populations from around the world. I feel as though the two courses would overlap in some degree. Do you think applying for such different courses in my personal statement would hinder my chance of admission in general? I am also applying for social anthropology at another university.
acbi3
Do you think applying for such different courses in my personal statement would hinder my chance of admission in general? I am also applying for social anthropology at another university.

I think what you have to watch out for is spreading it all too thinly - by trying to write a decent PS for geography, international studies and social anthropology, you run a big risk of not writing a good PS for any of them.
Consider Keele duel honours you could do international relations and geography thus making it alot easier for yourself. www.keele.ac.uk
TheSownRose

I agree
Reply 11
Original post by TheSownRose

I contacted the UCL admissions office as a result of the above post. I understand this thread is over 6 years old but I am just writing to let all of you who are applying for two different courses at UCL know that this is NOT the case, unless you are applying for courses in the same department.
I have applied to Strathclyde for 3 different courses, History, history and politics and history and education.

A boy in my class has applied for exact same degrees however 2 have been withdrew because all choices include history. He's also been told another choice was withdrew due to the number of applicants? Has anyone heard anything like this before?
Reply 13
Original post by Willans7
He's also been told another choice was withdrew due to the number of applicants? Has anyone heard anything like this before?

Too few, not too many.
Reply 14
Hi, Thank you for the information. I want apply for undergraduate courses of both Chemistry and Chemical Engineering in UCL. These 2 courses are under different departments, so it is acceptable, am I correct? Will it give Administration Officer negative impression since I don't concentrate in one course?
Reply 15
Original post by Wishva
I contacted the UCL admissions office as a result of the above post. I understand this thread is over 6 years old but I am just writing to let all of you who are applying for two different courses at UCL know that this is NOT the case, unless you are applying for courses in the same department.

Thank you for the information. I want to apply for the undergraduate courses of both Chemistry and Chemical Engineering in UCL. These 2 course are not under the same department, so it shall be acceptable, am I correct? However, will it give the Administration Officer negative impression since I don't concentrate in one course.
Thank you.
Original post by czw168
Thank you for the information. I want to apply for the undergraduate courses of both Chemistry and Chemical Engineering in UCL. These 2 course are not under the same department, so it shall be acceptable, am I correct? However, will it give the Administration Officer negative impression since I don't concentrate in one course.
Thank you.

You'll struggle to write a PS that is appropriate for both courses.

This really isn't a good plan. You've got 5 months before the deadline to apply to decide which course you want to study.
Reply 17
Original post by czw168
Thank you.

You will need to decide between the 2 courses at some point, and that point is before you apply.
I’m applying to two courses at Essex for computer science. one for the computer science and another computer science with foundation. The reason is because I only have 2 A levels (Maths
Reply 19
Original post by divinademuerte
I’m applying to two courses at Essex for computer science. one for the computer science and another computer science with foundation. The reason is because I only have 2 A levels (Maths

Then you need to contact the uni before you apply, and figure out which course they will consider you for. You are wasting an option by applying to both. You're either qualified for the degree, or you need to take the foundation first.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending