The Student Room Group

Is it a good idea to restrict uni choices to within the city you live in?

Is it a good idea to restrict uni choices to within the city you live in so that I can save on money and live at home throughout uni.

Bearing in mind that the amount of options available to me is far less say for example if I wanted to study in london but all the unis are very competitive whereas somewhere south it is far easier to get into entry requirement wise.

Discuss please.
Reply 1
Hm...really your decision to make, I wouldn't do it myself if I lived in a city with multiple universities because 80% of the appeal for me is moving to a new place, moving out and such.

I'd recommend searching a bit wider if it's what you want, maybe within about half an hour's journey away? Unless you have loooads of universities in your city.
Reply 2
Cicerao
Hm...really your decision to make, I wouldn't do it myself if I lived in a city with multiple universities because 80% of the appeal for me is moving to a new place, moving out and such.

I'd recommend searching a bit wider if it's what you want, maybe within about half an hour's journey away? Unless you have loooads of universities in your city.

my city is London and it the unis are terrible.
Reply 3
Don't live at home, just don't. If you want a social life then go into halls.
Reply 4
There's tonnes of good uni's in london :s-smilie:
No.
Reply 6
deddddd

LSE KCL UCL Imperial ? Hardly terribly. And I would suggest spreading your choices around slighty.
Reply 7
deddddd

If you don't like the universities then don't go to one, definitely look further afield. :smile:
I'm going to Study at Melbourne, I love just outside London, wtf do you think my answer is gonna be? :P
Reply 9
I wouldn't restrict yourself; moving away and experiencing a new area can be very fun! You get some life experience, don't feel as independent and also a chance to meet people who are so different.
Also the city might be costly, if you are looking to save money.
Reply 10
If you want to that's fine - I was the opposite, I ruled out any nearby unis. The closest one I applied to was Sheffield and I thought that was a bit too close to start with ...
I dunno .. on the one hand it does save a hell of alot of money, but on the other it means you're quite restricted in terms of choice.

Admittedly i'm looking primarily within the local-ish area (withing the surrounding counties) because it just makes the whole thing alot easier, but we're also quite lucky in that we're surrounded by a few fairly good uni's.

Basically, I don't see why not, but if it hinders your choice of subject or whatever else, I'd advise against it.

Latest

Trending

Trending