The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's hard for most people to forge a reliable opinion about Geology because very few people study it. I'd like to have done it at gcse or a-level but my schools didn't offer it.
My ambition is to be an oil geologist but supposedly you need a PhD according to the guy I talked to (he's an oil geologist). And yes there are still tons of reserves all over the place. He said that in canada they harvest oil from shale as, unlike over here in england, it is economically viable to do so.
I wouldnt agree with that Matt@internet at all...some people over here already have Oil jobs waiting for them to gaduate here in Canada (and thats with a Bsc). It definatly helps to have a Msc/PhD but I wouldnt say it was necessary. I intend to get a Msc though if I ever get through this Msci degree unless I can get myself onto the Shell graduate training programme next year.
Yeh but it depends what you want to do with oil. Apparently if you have an MSc or BSc unless you no sum1 or show real promiss your likely to be the guy (or gal) standing at the drill watching the rock come up and recording details about it, but with a PhD you get to pour over all the maps and tell them where you think they should drill. Thats the job with the big bucks.
Aha so...applying for Resource and Applied Geology MSci would hopefully mean I'll be able to get reasonable employment? Hopefully....lol.

Latest

Trending

Trending