The Student Room Group

"community college" goer confused about university applications

Just looking for some advice here, I left school at 16 and started working as an apprentice joiner( think its called a chippy in England) for 3 years or so and ended up with a NVQ level 2 in carpentry and joinery. I jacked it in last September and started doing 1 year govpol and history a levels at a community college . Just got my results and I got 2 As, I knew i wanted to go to uni but hadn’t really planned what for, just knew itd be something English/history based. I think i sold myself short a bit as well, i was only in tech for 2.5 hours a week for each subject and did no work at all outside the class until the week before the exams. So Ive enrolled to do English lit and sociology this year and im hoping to get an A* in at least one of them.

Anyway i don’t even know if that matters, the reason im saying all this is because i have absolutely no idea what im doing with applying to university or even what universities are within my reach. Ive got an appointment at my old school at the end of the week so that should sort out a reference and all the technical questions about UCAS forms and all that, im just looking some questions answered so im on the right track and don’t look like a complete dick when im talking to my old headmaster. I have sort of decided i want to do law/politics but ive got a few questions.

First, id like to do law with politics and i was wondering what way that works, ive no idea about combining courses other than what ive heard on TV.( mostly Americans saying i majored in this but minored in this etc, i know this sounds stupid but bear with me ive spent most of the last 4 years carrying skirting boards up stairs) i know we do something like that here from seeing bits and pieces on websites but i cant find a definitive guide to how it works. And what should i look out for in a prospectus to see what subjects can be combined with others etc.

Second, ive looked at the top 10 or so universities for law and politics and the ones that keep coming up(apart from Oxbridge) are kings college London, LSE, university college london, Durham, maybe Glasgow etc. After looking at the gcse’s that people are recommending for Oxbridge i was wondering if it was even possible to get into the universities i mentioned with the a levels ive got and am hoping to get and my gcses( A eng, A history, 4 Bs, 3 Cs including maths, and a d in French and r.e i think) and also whats the craic with the NVQ i did, will that help or does it not really matter?

Thanks to anyone who struggled through that and thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
Im Jay, 20, from Belfast.
Reply 1
jay09
Just looking for some advice here, I left school at 16 and started working as an apprentice joiner( think its called a chippy in England) for 3 years or so and ended up with a NVQ level 2 in carpentry and joinery. I jacked it in last September and started doing 1 year govpol and history a levels at a community college . Just got my results and I got 2 As, I knew i wanted to go to uni but hadn’t really planned what for, just knew itd be something English/history based. I think i sold myself short a bit as well, i was only in tech for 2.5 hours a week for each subject and did no work at all outside the class until the week before the exams. So Ive enrolled to do English lit and sociology this year and im hoping to get an A* in at least one of them.

Anyway i don’t even know if that matters, the reason im saying all this is because i have absolutely no idea what im doing with applying to university or even what universities are within my reach. Ive got an appointment at my old school at the end of the week so that should sort out a reference and all the technical questions about UCAS forms and all that, im just looking some questions answered so im on the right track and don’t look like a complete dick when im talking to my old headmaster. I have sort of decided i want to do law/politics but ive got a few questions.

First, id like to do law with politics and i was wondering what way that works, ive no idea about combining courses other than what ive heard on TV.( mostly Americans saying i majored in this but minored in this etc, i know this sounds stupid but bear with me ive spent most of the last 4 years carrying skirting boards up stairs) i know we do something like that here from seeing bits and pieces on websites but i cant find a definitive guide to how it works. And what should i look out for in a prospectus to see what subjects can be combined with others etc.

Second, ive looked at the top 10 or so universities for law and politics and the ones that keep coming up(apart from Oxbridge) are kings college London, LSE, university college london, Durham, maybe Glasgow etc. After looking at the gcse’s that people are recommending for Oxbridge i was wondering if it was even possible to get into the universities i mentioned with the a levels ive got and am hoping to get and my gcses( A eng, A history, 4 Bs, 3 Cs including maths, and a d in French and r.e i think) and also whats the craic with the NVQ i did, will that help or does it not really matter?

Thanks to anyone who struggled through that and thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
Im Jay, 20, from Belfast.

Look man, it never hurts to try.

Contact the universities, explain the situations - you're bound to get at least one offer
jay09

Don't believe everything you see on TV. :wink: In the UK, we don't operate a major/minor system (essentially means most of their course was subject A - the major - but some was subject B - the minor); we do joint honours instead, which is a very similar system just with a different name. An A and B course is 50/50 split between modules in A and modules in B; an A with B course is more modules in A (over 50%) but the remainder in B - that could be 60/40, 75/25, et al. It literally works by doing some modules of your degree in A, some in B, and getting a degree entitled '(Classification) in A and/with B'.

As for finding out what subjects can be combined with others, the joint honours programs that each uni should be listed on their website, or on the UCAS course finder. I would link you to a search I ran, but for some reason UCAS searches time out, so go here, search 'law with politics', and the list should come up. :smile:

Second, ive looked at the top 10 or so universities for law and politics and the ones that keep coming up(apart from Oxbridge) are kings college London, LSE, university college london, Durham, maybe Glasgow etc. After looking at the gcse’s that people are recommending for Oxbridge i was wondering if it was even possible to get into the universities i mentioned with the a levels ive got and am hoping to get and my gcses( A eng, A history, 4 Bs, 3 Cs including maths, and a d in French and r.e i think)

If you can get another two A's or even A*'s, I'd say you have a good shot at those unis - good as anyone else, anyway. If you could get some work experience in law or politics, it would make you a stronger applicant. Make sure you also apply for one or two with lower grades, so you can have some 'safe' choices that you'll probably get in.

and also whats the craic with the NVQ i did, will that help or does it not really matter?

Last time I heard it used, 'the craic' meant an enjoyable conversation... Then again, he was only sort-of Irish - enjoyed saying things, then watching us wonder what he meant. Whether he was using the terms correctly, who can say? Anyway, I believe NVQs are worth UCAS points and you have to list all qualifications, so unis may take it into consideration, or they may not. It certainly won't hurt. :wink:
Reply 3
thats brilliant thanks for the help sownrose i appreciate it. lol it can mean having a good time but "whats the craic with" can be like "whats happening with" etc.
jay09
thats brilliant thanks for the help sownrose i appreciate it. lol it can mean having a good time but "whats the craic with" can be like "whats happening with" etc.

You're welcome; good luck with applying to uni. :smile: What made you decide to throw carpentry in for it?

Ah, I see - thank you for explaining,. Told you my friend led us astray. :rolleyes:
Reply 5
thanks, sounds like i picked a bad year to try for uni anyway. it was alright for a bit of craic(enjoyable conversations that is) lol but i just couldnt get interested in it as a career, and got to a point i thought i couldnt leave trying for uni any longer. sounds like a bit of a plastic paddy lol, nah its an easy mistake like.
jay09
thanks, sounds like i picked a bad year to try for uni anyway. it was alright for a bit of craic(enjoyable conversations that is) lol but i just couldnt get interested in it as a career, and got to a point i thought i couldnt leave trying for uni any longer. sounds like a bit of a plastic paddy lol, nah its an easy mistake like.

They get progressively worse ... supposedly. :wink: I actually read something interesting in The Independent recently: a university applicant in the 1950s only had a 50% chance of getting in, where one nowadays has a 70% chance.

Why did you first going into carpentry, then? And yes, plastic paddy sounds about right. :wink: He's technically Irish because both parents are, but he was born over in England and has never (I believe) actually been to Ireland.
Reply 7
aye youre probably right its all exaggerated isnt it everyone loves to have a wee panic about something, if its not university places then foxes are going to eat your kids.

wasnt allowed to finish 6th year in the school i was at because i was acting like a dick and most of my friends were getting trades so i just left. i dont even remember making a decision it just sort of happened. o aye thats a plastic paddy alright

Latest

Trending

Trending