The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Grosvenor Place, a grave error?

Yeah there are loads of accommodation threads, guess everyones just wanting to make sure they're in the right place.

But from TSR forums, i've been hearing that Grosvenor place has a poor social life - full of international students, and the general culture is poor and people rarely go out that much. I like the british 'lad culture' and to have none of that would suck.

I picked it because it's in the city centre, because I love the idea of being in surrounded by pubs and bars. But I also like going out, alot of the time, especially the idea of going out with hallmates, doing drinking games/fifa nights. As well as that, th rooms have Basins, which I thought would be PERFECT for those nights out :yep:

I didn't pick fallowfields because from what my mate has said, it's incredible, but you end up missing lectures all the time because of hungoverness, which I can understand.

I understand that it could all be hear say, but i'm slightly concerned.
Anybody had experience in the Grosvenor group of halls, mostly Grosvenor place? ie the atmosphere? I know a lot of it's luck.. just wondering how much luck i'll need.

Thanks alot :smile:
Reply 1
I've said it before, and I'll say it again- all you freshers need to get over the "quiet halls so I'll have no mates" complex. Uni is about putting yourself out there and finding likeminded people. Just because people are in Fallowfield doesn't mean they turn up and everyone likes them automatically.

For the record, I was in Grosvenor last year and probably racked up double the amount of drinking hours out of everyone I know in Manchester. Fell in with a lovely bunch of people into the party scene and never had any problems or felt like I missed out. As you said, rolling out of bed 5 mins before a lecture when hungover is a massive advantage. Plus you're 2 mins from EVERYWHERE so everyone used to come up and drink at Grosvenor before stumbling to the clubs. You'll find some fellow lads, don't worry :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
There's 800 people in the grosvenor group, there's bound to be a load of people up for going out. I hate to sound like a cliche but you'll find a group of people you get on with. :P
Reply 3
I agree..im in grosenor and ive got no worries. Its near some awesome bars, and the people ive met so far seem really nice.
If you want it to be dead sociable, you make it that way
=]
x
Reply 4
Thanks alot you guys. Ill plus rep as I can, one per day limit though
Reply 5
ElephantJews

I picked it because it's in the city centre, because I love the idea of being in surrounded by pubs and bars. But I also like going out, alot of the time, especially the idea of going out with hallmates, doing drinking games/fifa nights. As well as that, th rooms have Basins, which I thought would be PERFECT for those nights out :yep:

Thanks alot :smile:

That, is ME. :P
Love the nights out, especially if its going to be at Manchester. And then the poker and fifa nights in too. LUSH ;D
Reply 6
Hi just got to grosvenor place and getting a similar impression. Lots of international students (like to point out i'm not a xenophobe but it's just a different mentality). Just wanted to know how you got on over your year here?
Cheers

Quick Reply