The Student Room Group

Best Unis for Creative Music Technology? 2011 entry

Heylo, first time poster etc.

The situation i'm in is basically i've got three A2 Levels at A grade (from 2008 so A*s hadn't been invented :p:) and am currently about to enter my second year of BTEC ND Creative Sound Engineering and Music Technology , i got a Distinction in my first year. So far so good, the only problem i'm coming across is finding places to do the course.

Having been to a few open days i can definitely say i'm not looking for a course with a huge emphasis on maths, physics and coding. Some course content on this would be awesome but not a massive weighting, for example Bournemouth i think had 40 / 50% of the course devoted to coding.

So far i'm looking to apply for Lancaster, Glamorgan, Birmingham City but am not sure where else i should be looking at. Surrey looks too maths and physicsy, leeds college of music and ravensbourne don't have a lot of people saying positive things about the teaching so i'm wondering what to do. I'm at Deep Blue Sound in Plymouth at the mo which i'd apply to as a last resort but i don;t really want to saty in Plymouth much more.

I've considered the SAE Institute but is there anyway i can get hekp with funding? Otherwise that's a no too.

I suppose i'm basically looking for a good and recognised course from a decent University. By decent i mean decent as with A's in Economics & Business Studies, English Lit and Photography i want to be going somewhere pretty good. Not being arrogant or anything just want to make sure i'm doing as well as i can :smile:

Anyway, any help or informed opinions would be really really well received :smile:

thanks a lot!!
Reply 1
Hey, I'm looking at 2011 music stuff as well, performance courses but I did look briefly at CMT too, 'cause I initially looked at a mix of music and music tech.
Uni of Huddersfield is definitely worth a look, I think they do a CMT course or similar, and they're meant to have one of the best music/music tech facilities there, I went to an open day and they looked pretty damn good.
The ACM music college in Guildford's meant to be good too, they have a CMT similar course I think, either production or creative sound design (you apply independently for that one), I haven't been to an open day but I know people who have and say it's top notch.
By the way I don't know how heavily physics based they are but I'm definitely sure from hearing from other people that they are a good balance, if not more tech based than physics.
And I don't know about the course at LCM, but I'm going to their open day in Oct anyway so I can see how good the facilities are. Probably out of all the three I recommend Hudds for a look anyway. Hope it's any of help :smile:

Latest