The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Chuck Norris
Reply 61
Tootles
At the insistence of the Jews. Pilate wanted nothing to do with it, but the Jews wouldn't let them not do so.

Which Jews. You do know that there were divisions within the Jewish religion at the time of Jesus.

Jesus was a pharasee, the 'Jews' who wanted Jesus dead were Sadduccees - who were allied with the Romans

Jews today are Pharasees, so it is inaccurate to say that the Jews wanted Jesus dead.
Even though the Romans technically killed him, he chose to let them. He was the son of god so he could have escaped/turned them all to toads or whatever whenever he wanted to but he chose to let them get on with it.
this qs came up on RE exam and I blamed Jesus, did not get very many brownie points for that at all.
Reply 63
metallica nutter
was it the europeans or the jews?

we get the son of god and some nutcases want to kill him...typical

The jews claim they killed Jesus so yeah it was the Jewz
Reply 64
Barry Scott and his faulty cleaning products?
George Dubya.....
Reply 66
dn013
Which Jews. You do know that there were divisions within the Jewish religion at the time of Jesus.

Jesus was a pharasee, the 'Jews' who wanted Jesus dead were Sadduccees - who were allied with the Romans

Jews today are Pharasees, so it is inaccurate to say that the Jews wanted Jesus dead.
I wasn't trying to be far-end-of-a-fart accurate. I know of the divisions within Judaism, as I know that the Jews were only one tribe among the twelve that left Egypt with Moses. And before you say it: yes, I know it's משה, not Moses.
Reply 67
Altruistic1
Israel has been around since 1948 :tongue:

He means 1st century Palestine
Penguins
Reply 69
Iron Mike

Judea.
Reply 70
Iron Mike

Bit deep for a wednesday evening, Don't worry about it, just have a cup of tea and a biscuit.
Reply 72
It was the Romans that crucified him. However, the Sanhedrin (Jewish Coucil) wanted him killed at the time due to crimes of Blasphemy which under Jewish law was deemed to be punishable by death (The Irony is, that he was God, supposedly anyway). Under Roman occupation they didn't have the authority to commit such an act though. So instead the Jewish leaders presented him to the Romans as someone who was likely to cause Jewish rioting. They managed to persuade Pontius Pilate (Roman Leader) to make the decision to have him executed as he was a threat to the Roman state.
Reply 73
Iron Mike
It was the Romans that crucified him. However, the Sanhedrin (Jewish Coucil) wanted him killed at the time due to crimes of Blasphemy which under Jewish law was deemed to be punishable by death (The Irony is, that he was God, supposedly anyway). Under Roman occupation they didn't have the authority to commit such an act though. So instead the Jewish leaders presented him to the Romans as someone who was likely to cause Jewish rioting. They managed to persuade Pontius Pilate (Roman Leader) to make the decision to have him executed as he was a threat to the Roman state.

Jews don't believe that so there is no irony
Reply 74
dn013

There fixed :yes: No need to thank me
Reply 75
Iron Mike

very informative
Reply 76
dn013
Jews don't believe that so there is no irony

You don't believe Jesus claimed to be God?
Reply 77
Iron Mike
You don't believe Jesus claimed to be God?

Who cares what he claimed to be. He wasn't God in the Sanhedrin's eyes so there was no irony.
Reply 78
Iron Mike
There fixed :yes: No need to thank me

Jesus would have called it Judea, so would all of it's residents.
Reply 79
dn013
Who cares what he claimed to be. He wasn't God in the Sanhedrin's eyes so there was no irony.

Well I don't believe he was God either, it's still Ironic.

Latest