The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Very basic thinking does not involve words. But the moment you start thinking about more complex things, words are the only way to do so.

Even animals can do very basic thinking (like a dog understanding the signs - putting on shoes etc - for going for a walk). That's the kind of thinking, or rather feeling, that relates to memories.

Thinking about more complex stuff, say a paper about some scientific topic, definitely needs words to get thoughts in order.

Btw: I think and dream in different languages. Usually the one I have been using most lately. And in my dreams, I use words that are in reality not part of my active vocabulary of that language. I can never remember them though, so I haven't been able to find out if they really exist or if I'm just making them up. :lol:
I definitely think in English. Even when I remember things in like, picture form, I commentate them in English in my head. It's quite annoying really. I commentate everything in my head :/ I think it helps me to fully absorb things that are happening. Like you know they say the best way to learn something is to explain it to someone else because then you're processing it in your head as you teach it. I think the reason I kind of have a commentary going along to everything that happens is so that this can happen, so I can process it properly. But yes, it's all in English.

I'm semi-fluent in French (My spoken French is quite good enough to get by in France but my grammar is appalling) and after two hours of French lesson in one go I will often catch myself commentating in my head in broken French. Like it will be my normal English commentary but the odd word or phrase will be in French.

At first I was like "This is the crappiest thread ever" but now I've thought it through, it's interesting. Kudos OP.
AccioJellyBean
I definitely think in English. Even when I remember things in like, picture form, I commentate them in English in my head. It's quite annoying really. I commentate everything in my head :/ I think it helps me to fully absorb things that are happening. Like you know they say the best way to learn something is to explain it to someone else because then you're processing it in your head as you teach it. I think the reason I kind of have a commentary going along to everything that happens is so that this can happen, so I can process it properly. But yes, it's all in English.

I'm semi-fluent in French (My spoken French is quite good enough to get by in France but my grammar is appalling) and after two hours of French lesson in one go I will often catch myself commentating in my head in broken French. Like it will be my normal English commentary but the odd word or phrase will be in French.

At first I was like "This is the crappiest thread ever" but now I've thought it through, it's interesting. Kudos OP.

Thanks for your input, it's interesting for me as well cos I believe that language has a big influence on life.
I can only speak English tbh so the question is kind of moot for me seeing as I don't know any other language well enough to approach thinking in it.

I stayed in Tokyo a bit and I learned a bit there, but it wasn't like I thought in that language, it seemed more as if I simply learned alternate words for the same things, its not so much that I think 'in English' but that English words are the words I know for concepts and objects.

As soon as I learned the Japanese for these things and was pretty much surrounded by their use (best way to learn really) it wasn't hard to adopt these alternate words and sentences.
Reply 24
magicmousemeat
I'm gettin confused lol and so are you probably.
Does your definition of recalling involve words?

No. A baby can remember their parents' faces and they can't talk.
Reply 25
This reminded me of a question I asked someone.

Your "voice in your head" is English, but if you where to move to say France and knew the language, would the voice in your head be French or English?

I never did get an answer :P

Edit: I only read the first post, but it seems my query has been answered.
Reply 26
I have realised this but I think it's more culture that's different.
Reply 27
Foulish
This reminded me of a question I asked someone.

Your "voice in your head" is English, but if you where to move to say France and knew the language, would the voice in your head be French or English?

I never did get an answer :P

In my experience it depends on what language you were talking the most previously. When I was in ireland, I thought in English in classes, and in French after having talked to friends in French over MSN. It's like your brain chooses to think in the language most often used within the last few hours.
I think, speak and recall in three languages, but it's not really a conscious thing. I've grown very accustomed to naturally switching between the three even during conversations, because of the European school I went to in Brussels. Good shiz there. Crazy amounts of different languages being spoken.
Reply 29
Papkin
I concur!
I don't think I think in any language when, for instance, solving an equation. But it is most certainly 'process of thinking' at its best. :smile:

I was thinking of my memories as a child. Thinking 'who woman?' and 'wet', stuff like that. A couple of years before I learnt the words to ask. And over a year before I learnt what word to use for 'wet'.
Never did find out who that woman is, never saw her again.
Not really, but you can say that one language is more dominant over the other(s), it's true in my case.
magicmousemeat
you can obviously conjure up an image in your head, such as of a cat or dog. But the definition of thinking is talking to yourself and you need a language to talk to yourself in.

you're right, I seem to always think in english...
Reply 32
magicmousemeat
Don't people find it interesting that all your memories, thoughts and knowledge is limited to one language usually. Like most people in the uk are taught all their subjects in English.
Therefore your whole world revolves around that language, quite interesting tbh.

Yes. It's what's generally known as the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.
Reply 33
OP, you might be interested in the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis (and contrasting theories - there are plenty). The general consensus I get from my own study of the topic is that our language affects our thinking, and our thinking affects our language. It's not unidirectional.

EDIT: Beaten to it :p:
Reply 34
No. I dream in other languages and am able to think in those languages too.

Latest