The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yesssss my borough is on there score

...oh wait...
Reply 21
FaraxZeroIncome
All of these areas are ... black :eyeball:

Erm, Brighton, Islington, Hammersmith n Fulham, Tower Hamlets (is Asian!), Haringey... Are Black?

Crikey, LIES again. TSR people chat too much fraff.
Reply 22
Steezy
The only bit you didn't qoute is my answer to all your questions.

True, I agree that boredom is a factor, though that doesn't explain why other city boroughs don't get a mention, cities with just as high unemployment . . . the use of those specific drugs correlates with those communities (from what I know), but is it a spurious correlation?

Does use of those drugs really cause people to have more casual unprotected sex?
KimKong
Erm, Brighton, Islington, Hammersmith n Fulham, Tower Hamlets (is Asian!), Haringey... Are Black?

lol I would struggle to call Wandsworth a 'black' borough as well. Obviously it has a decent amount of black people but white yuppies make up the majority of its population
Reply 24
RamocitoMorales
Don't forget Lewisham for having the highest, or one of the highest rates of underage pregnancy in Europe.

Yay, Lewisham :biggrin: I'm from near there... well, Crystal Palace infact :yes:
KimKong

The ones I marked as BOLD, and Tower Hamlets is diverse.
Reply 26
NJA
True, I agree that boredom is a factor, though that doesn't explain why other city boroughs don't get a mention, cities with just as high unemployment . . . the use of those specific drugs correlates with those communities (from what I know), but is it a spurious correlation?

Does use of those drugs really cause people to have more casual unprotected sex?

Yes.

I still don't really see the point in this. Some places are just going to be higher! It doesn't necessarily need a meaning or explanation, one place (unless they have the exact same number) has got to be higher than another place. I don't really care if they're stupid enough to contract an STI, that's their problem. And if I lived in one of those areas, I would be (as I do in my area) be wearing a condom.

There just happens to be a congregation of idiots in these places.
Reply 27
Steezy
There just happens to be a congregation of idiots in these places.
You see no pattern, you just see randomness?
Is it idiocy?... maybe you should read Freakonomics, it highlights use and abuse of statistics

Chapter 2 about the KKK is funny, the chapter on the economics of the drug network is enlightening.
Reply 28
FaraxZeroIncome

So please elaborate.

You highlighted the ''Black'' boroughs but you left out the White and other ones. There were faaaaaaar more ''White'' boroughs.

Why did you not highlight those? Agenda?
FaraxZeroIncome

Yet there were more white boroughs than black boroughs so what is your point exactly? Tower Hamlets is asian.
All Black Everything
Yet there were more white boroughs than black boroughs so what is your point exactly? Tower Hamlets is asian.

None of the boroughs are "black" so to speak, i'm sure there are no boroughs even close to 51 per cent black, there are simply some boroughs more black than others. Bare bare in mind that Islington, tower hamlets, haringey and Wandsworth may not be as black as some places, but they are still black compared to a lot of places i would consider "white" places, most of which aren't on the list at all.

Brighton is easy to explain anyways, it's all the gays and bisexuals.
Reply 31
All Black Everything
In fact all boroughs are "mixed", we need to look at the socio-econiomic make-up of the actual people with STIs to make firm conclusions.

As it is, we can only say with assurance that there is a cluster in inner London
the realist
None of the boroughs are "black" so to speak, i'm sure there are no boroughs even close to 51 per cent black, there are simply some boroughs more black than others. Bare bare in mind that Islington, tower hamlets, haringey and Wandsworth may not be as black as some places, but they are still black compared to a lot of places i would consider "white" places, most of which aren't on the list at all.

Brighton is easy to explain anyways, it's all the gays and bisexuals.

So then why are people trying to say the reason for these results is due to black people? You've said yourself that no borough is close enough 51 percent black yet as soon as people hear London they think it must be due to black people. The reason is clearly not down to race, yet people try to pin the blame on black people.
Reply 33
I've lived in three of the places on that list, and visted almost every one of them lol
All Black Everything
So then why are people trying to say the reason for these results is due to black people? You've said yourself that no borough is close enough 51 percent black yet as soon as people hear London they think it must be due to black people. The reason is clearly not down to race, yet people try to pin the blame on black people.

Because they are comparitively more black compared to most of the rest of the UK.

To be honest it is well known fact that black people have 5-10 times the rate of incidence of most STDs out there so it's not surprising to make the connection really when you see boroughs with large black populations on the list.

The Black STD epidemic is not up for debate, it's fact. Whether or not it's whats causing these stats is not known, but it's an interesting hypothesis.
Reply 35
I'm from Hammersmith and Fulham and the ratio of black to white has got to be even. You've got big estates here such as West Kensington / Clematle Court / Lewis Trust but then you've also got those big million pound houses in Barons Court etc

And i've never had an STI then again, i've never shagged a bird from H&F never **** on your doorstep!
SirAlexander
hahahaha! :p: :p:
We're all thinking this, just not saying it. :biggrin:

Erm, no one's thinking that sorry.
KimKong
So please elaborate.

You highlighted the ''Black'' boroughs but you left out the White and other ones. There were faaaaaaar more ''White'' boroughs.

Why did you not highlight those? Agenda?

Black people are a small minority yet they make up half of the boroughs?

Doesn't seem right.
All Black Everything

Black people are a small minority yet they make up half of the boroughs?

Doesn't seem right
RamocitoMorales
Don't forget Lewisham for having the highest, or one of the highest rates of underage pregnancy in Europe.

Oruspu totu, kaeris, anne o baba sikerem and aqu