The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Einheri
I don't see how it's disgusting. I personally don't spit, but wouldn't be offended if someone did. I think people need to examine what it is that they're actually finding offensive - in the case of spitting it's just social conditioning; not really anything disgusting about spit, you have a mouth full of it so why is it gross on the ground? If you ever go to Scandinavia you'll find that everyone, male or female, spits if they need to as there's no social stigma to it.

But we're not in Scandinavia, we're in Blighty and I don't wish to see the contents of someone's mouth on the pavement as I unassumingly walk along.

Spitting has always seemed to be a sign of disrespect and contempt - I really find it very rude. Maybe in a sporting environment it's acceptable though but it just seems to be the chavs that do it while they're standing next to Greggs in the town centre.

The same argument could be applied to pooing - your body is full of it so why is it disgusting on the ground?
SatanIsAwesome
Why don't people like spitting? I don't see the big issue, it's not harming anyone.

Neither is a footballer taking a moment to squat in the corner of the pitch to have a steaming ****. It doesn't mean it's necessary or pleasant to observe.
GodspeedGehenna
Neither is a footballer taking a moment to squat in the corner of the pitch to have a steaming ****. It doesn't mean it's necessary or pleasant to observe.

Having a steaming **** stinks and looks horrid, spit soaks into the ground, doesn't smell and therefore shouldn't really annoy anyone.
Reply 43
It's not only men that spit, there is also girls.
Football players spit because of the phlegm they produce whilse playing.
Spitting in public is one of the most repulsive things that someone can do. It makes me feel sick when I see people doing it.
Reply 46
Apparently looking on the internet spitting is a 'manly' thing to do - like producing loud farts and having pissing competitions - so 'cos its hard' might be the closest thing to the truth - football is also a 'manly' thing to do so that would fit in - it just begs the question why are these things so 'manly'?
GodspeedGehenna
It's not hard to control the amount of saliva you produce to avoid having a dry mouth.

If you're incapable of doing so, you must be some kind of ******* ape.

You can't control the amount of saliva porudces, it's involuntary. Like when you touch a hot place accidently you automatically move your hand away.
Reply 48
mikeyd85
Because we don't want to swallow.

Had to be said :smile:

I don't know about anyone else, but I have catarrh, so I often have to get rid. If I did it in a handkerchief, I'd need something the size of a tablecloth, so I just gob it out down a grid or on grass.

Not pleasant, I know, but you asked.
Rugby players don't spit do they.
and they have to chew on a piece of rubber for hours.

..only football players:hmmm:
lol... the arguments put forward in this thread are ********.

- Excess phlegm when playing sports is normal, but there is no physiological harm from swallowing saliva. how can there be? Every time one ingests any food or water, there is saliva. the point of saliva is to soften food before it goes in the stomach. And viruses? lmao,... what ********. If viruses are already in your nose or mouth, they can enter the bloodstream there. The stomach acids would probably kill them anyhow.

- spitting is just social, to look rude and hard. Come on, there is no other logical reason to do it. lol..
Reply 51
I spit all the time. One time this girl (i didn't know) confronted me about it.... I was like ''shut your whore mouth''.
Reply 52
Mechokilla
I spit all the time. One time this girl (i didn't know) confronted me about it.... I was like ''shut your whore mouth''.

You shouldnt speak to your mother like that:mad:
Reply 53
Jack Scott
You shouldnt speak to your mother like that:mad:

I don't thats why i said it to your mother, she was in a gang bang with 5 black men and she told me spitting is wrong, you see she always swallows.
it's natural to spit when you're doing sports as there's some build up of phlegm, although i try not to.

spitting in the street is frankly obscene; i can't abide it. i've seen women spit in the street as well, really classy birds. anyone who spits in public/at someone really is just dirty.

Latest

Trending

Trending