The Student Room Group

Help with A level courses?

I know everyone's asking this question but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for on other posts. I got my GCSE results yesterday and now I'm confused as to what to take at college.

I want to go on to uni and do a law degree so I was thinking about taking Chemistry, French, English Language, History and Law, but I only want to take 4 A levels and can't decide which to drop out of those 5.

Do you know if any of those are preferred by universities for a law degree, or ones that are pointless?

Drop Law, universities usually ask for 'no previous knowledge in Law', and it's a bit of a whishy washy subject. Your other subject choices are much more respected :smile:
Reply 2
Drop Law.

If you go on to take it at University, they basically say forget everything you have been taught. It isn't one of the more respected subjects.
Reply 3
Thanks guys :smile: I won't be doing Law then :smile:
Reply 4
vicky232
I know everyone's asking this question but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for on other posts. I got my GCSE results yesterday and now I'm confused as to what to take at college.

I want to go on to uni and do a law degree so I was thinking about taking Chemistry, French, English Language, History and Law, but I only want to take 4 A levels and can't decide which to drop out of those 5.

Do you know if any of those are preferred by universities for a law degree, or ones that are pointless?

As happyfeet said, there's no requirement to do Law but it shows you've done some research to check you're sufficiently interested to pursue it to degree level. Also, all universities have stated that it'll be treated like any other subject and can be used to meet offers (with the exception of LSE and Manchester, who recognise it as a fourth).

If possible, I'd take Lit instead of Language (or Lang & Lit if you want) since Lit is, as I understand it, more respected. :smile:
Reply 5
Tortious
As happyfeet said, there's no requirement to do Law but it shows you've done some research to check you're sufficiently interested to pursue it to degree level. Also, all universities have stated that it'll be treated like any other subject and can be used to meet offers (with the exception of LSE and Manchester, who recognise it as a fourth).

If possible, I'd take Lit instead of Language (or Lang & Lit if you want) since Lit is, as I understand it, more respected. :smile:

I might do Lang & Lit combined, I did a taster session of Lit at the college I'm going to and I wouldn't be able to put up with it. I'm pretty squeamish and we have to study some quite graphic poems, if I took it I'd probably end up fainting every other lesson :P

Thanks for the detailed reply :smile:

Latest