The Student Room Group

Is a Distinction in ICT equivalent to an A*?

On my results for GCSEs I got a distinction in ICT. My teacher says its the highest possible grade. Does that mean I can class it as an A*?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I always thought there was a distinction*?
No, because it's a distinction. It might be equivalent in terms of being the top grade but that doesn't make it an A*.
Reply 3
Nope, an A.
Apparantly it is equivalent to an A* (according to my school as I got 3 distinction awards for ICT) but Im confused when doing my UCAS as to what to write I got??
Reply 5
OK, thanks. I'm just going to say I've got a distinction from now on instead of saying A/A*
Reply 6
downpour
i hate how instead of writing "distinction" my school puts "D"

haha yeah, my teacher scared the f*ck out of me when he showed us our results: DDD , I was like NOOOOOO!
Annoyingly no, it means A.

I wish it did because I got two distinctions at GCSE for ICT.
Reply 8
soutioirsim
Annoyingly no, it means A.

I wish it did because I got two distinctions at GCSE for ICT.

Distinction is an A* in any qualifications that do not have a distinction* grade.

Pass - C
Credit - B
Merit - A
Distinction - A*

"DiDA qualifications are available at two levels, providing full A* - G equivalence." - Edexcel.
I'm counting my CiDA distinctions as 2 A*s whenever anyone asks me; there's nothing to stop me from doing that. No one's going to arrest me for not using the stupid equivalent grades.
Reply 9
my teacher said it was equivalent to an A and i got 2 A's
I think it is.
I was quizzing my teacher on this before, she seemed preddy adamant that it counts as an A*
Reply 11
Dinstinctions are equivalent to an A..
Edwin Okli
Distinction is an A* in any qualifications that do not have a distinction* grade.

Pass - C
Credit - B
Merit - A
Distinction - A*

"DiDA qualifications are available at two levels, providing full A* - G equivalence." - Edexcel.
I'm counting my CiDA distinctions as 2 A*s whenever anyone asks me; there's nothing to stop me from doing that. No one's going to arrest me for not using the stupid equivalent grades.

Does that count for OCR as well?
Reply 13
Never heard of a credit?

For my qualification (OCR Nationals ICT and OCR National Business) it's Pass (C), Merit (B), Distinction (A).
Reply 14
OCR Nationals, which it seems you're referring to, goes up to A.

CiDA/DiDA, a seperate BTEC course does go up to A*, but it's a lot less common.
Reply 15
A, there is no equivalent for A*.
Reply 16
downpour
i hate how instead of writing "distinction" my school puts "D"

Lol same, the first time I saw DDDD on my work I almost had a heart attack! Then suddenly realised it meant AAAA. I felt a little better after that :lol: :rolleyes:
Reply 17
Does getting a distinction in OCR Nationals ICT definitely equate to an 'A'? Will employers, universities etc acknowledge the grade as an A and will I get the same number of points for a distinction grade as I would for an 'A'?:frown:
Original post by emilym94

Original post by emilym94
Lol same, the first time I saw DDDD on my work I almost had a heart attack! Then suddenly realised it meant AAAA. I felt a little better after that :lol: :rolleyes:

1 Distinction=A
2 Distinction=AA*
3 Distinction=AA*A
4 Distinction=AA*AA*
5 Distinction=AA*AA*A
6 Distinction=AA*AA*AA*
So basically one A* one A per every two distinctions took hope this helps
Reply 19
I also got a Distinction in my DiDA ICT course which we were told was equivalent to an A* hence the fact that it gives 58 points like an A* in any other gcse.

Quick Reply

Latest