The Student Room Group

I'm in a right pickle.

Hello all, this is the first time I've used this site, I'm not posting in the welcome lounge because I think I need some seasoned student types to help me out!!

Basically, here it is

-my parents emmigrated when I was seventeen, I wanted to finish my education so I stayed in England
-I had to work full-time to support myself, so I was only able to take 2 A-levels, or I would have totally burned out (taking two on top of full time work wasn't exactly a picnic either , if you know what i mean:mad: )
-I got 2 B's in English and Psych.
-My experiences at college were so rubbish that I decided to do a French A-level from home.
-Turns out , teaching yourself a second language on top of full-time work is pretty hard!!

Basically, this has all taken me long enough that I am now 21 , and a "Mature Student" apparently...I really want to go to university and do an English degree. Is there any way that anyone can think of, that I might just be sort of...let into a decent uni with 2 A-Levels. Does it count for antything that I had to struggle like crazy just to get two??

It's actually really hard to work out how to move forward when you're outside the educational system already, so any help or advice would be MUCH appreciated, because at the moment I feel like I'm just sat on my backside not learning anything and it's only a matter of time before my brain turns to fudge
And nobody wants that :no:

xxxxxxxxx
Reply 1
Meggle
Hello all, this is the first time I've used this site, I'm not posting in the welcome lounge because I think I need some seasoned student types to help me out!!

Basically, here it is

-my parents emmigrated when I was seventeen, I wanted to finish my education so I stayed in England
-I had to work full-time to support myself, so I was only able to take 2 A-levels, or I would have totally burned out (taking two on top of full time work wasn't exactly a picnic either , if you know what i mean:mad: )
-I got 2 B's in English and Psych.
-My experiences at college were so rubbish that I decided to do a French A-level from home.
-Turns out , teaching yourself a second language on top of full-time work is pretty hard!!

Basically, this has all taken me long enough that I am now 21 , and a "Mature Student" apparently...I really want to go to university and do an English degree. Is there any way that anyone can think of, that I might just be sort of...let into a decent uni with 2 A-Levels. Does it count for antything that I had to struggle like crazy just to get two??

It's actually really hard to work out how to move forward when you're outside the educational system already, so any help or advice would be MUCH appreciated, because at the moment I feel like I'm just sat on my backside not learning anything and it's only a matter of time before my brain turns to fudge
And nobody wants that :no:

xxxxxxxxx

Hi,this advice might not be brilliant, but its a good place to start

Lots of universities affer alternative entry requirements for "mature students". They take into account stuff like professional experience blah blah blah. They might do things like invite you for an assessment/interview to give you an opportunity to demonstrate your abilities, or they might ask you to submit some form of portfolio.

another way to do it might be to take an extra year, either taking more a-levels, doing an access course, or applying for a foundation degree (also referred to as "year zero", and I think similar to some "extended degrees")

edit - Also, ring up the admissions people for each uni you're interested in studying at, and just ask them for their advice or opinions

edit - Also, welcome to tsr - I hope you like trolls and abuse :wink:
Reply 2
I love a nice troll and who doesn't enjoy abuse!!

That all sounds really great, do you also happen to know if I were to choose a "year zero" would that mean I would "use up" 2 years of loans etc??

Sorry, I don't mean to look the information-horse in the mouth, and also sorry for calling you a horse, I meant it in the nicest possible way :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending