The Student Room Group

Diagnostic Radiography or radiotherapy applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jjangel29
hey, I have an interview for Exeter on the 1st of Feb and was just wondering what to expect if anyone has had it already. Anything extra to look out for apart from all the 'why this course?' '...uni?'???
Also I've got an interview at Brad on the 23rd Feb, any1 else going? What topics do u think will be asked for the group interview? and do you have to do a presentation? independently? if so what on?
Sorry 4 all the questions, but would love it if you could answer at least some haha:rolleyes:
I've also applied for Sheff Hallam, City and BCU :smile:

Hi I had an interview at the beginning of Dec. They asked the usual questions, asked a little about my work placement and specific questions for me as a mature stud! They also asked about how you feel going away for placements and working unsociable hours etc. Basically they want to know that you have a good understanding of the actual job to minimise dropouts. The interviewers were really friendly and informal though but others have had a different experience!
Hope this helps some.
Original post by dreaminchicken
Hi I got rejected from Salford about 5 wks after applying to them.

My interview was meant to be the 23rd Feb but I've since withdrawn my application from Derby.

I am wanting to put Bradford as my insurance in case I need it but I don't really want to travel for interviews. How long did it take for you to hear from Bradford. They have asked me for details of a second referee which I've provided now so I hope they get back to mee soonish one way or another. I am just wanting to put all this UCAS stuff to an end now. Do you know if they interview everybody?

Saying that I am thinking of going to a BCU radiography applicant visit day next week. Has anyone visited before? I was in the mids over the weekend and drove by there to get a first impression and I still don't know whether to take a look around or not. It looks like such a big place and the lectures must be huge with the numbers they take on? I can't help but think I'd be daft if I ruled it out as an insurance choice without even taking a look, especially as I've already got an offer from them.

i heard from them a couple of weeks after applying. i heard that if they invite you for an interview then you've more or less got a place there, unless you totally mess up in your interview. i think most universities interview their students these days since it's not all about the highest grades anymore- they want to see your "people skills".
Original post by bright_girl
i heard from them a couple of weeks after applying. i heard that if they invite you for an interview then you've more or less got a place there, unless you totally mess up in your interview. i think most universities interview their students these days since it's not all about the highest grades anymore- they want to see your "people skills".

Cool, well they said they will get back to me soon so I guess it depends how fast they get their reference.
Reply 723
Original post by kirstylouise79
Hi I had an interview at the beginning of Dec. They asked the usual questions, asked a little about my work placement and specific questions for me as a mature stud! They also asked about how you feel going away for placements and working unsociable hours etc. Basically they want to know that you have a good understanding of the actual job to minimise dropouts. The interviewers were really friendly and informal though but others have had a different experience!
Hope this helps some.

thank you:smile:
Anyone has offers from Exeter yet?
Original post by AmeliaLily (:
Anyone has offers from Exeter yet?

No, wish they'd hurry up so I don't have to keep checking track every 5 mins. I'm starting to annoy myself now!!!
Reply 726
Has anyone attended an interview for St George's on the 8th Dec. or an interview with Birmingham City on the 17th Dec. ?? Anyone heard anythin yet?

No, wish they'd hurry up so I don't have to keep checking track every 5 mins. I'm starting to annoy myself now!!!

Same! It's so annoying isn't it!
Reply 728
Just saw some x-rays today.....that is dental x-rays of my own!Pretty cool all the same though.
i had my work experience in the radiology dept. at my local hospital today. it's made me double think about radiography now :/.
Original post by golddust&lipgloss
i had my work experience in the radiology dept. at my local hospital today. it's made me double think about radiography now :/.

Why what happened? Did it not live up to your expectations? Was it in an xray dept?
i've got leeds confirmed for diagnostic radiography for 2011! Anyone else applied for leeds?
Reply 732
I replied to Christ Church Canterbury, they need to see my work experience before they decide to offer me an interview or not.
I ve done my work placement last August for 2 weeks.

does any one have the same thing?
Why what happened? Did it not live up to your expectations? Was it in an xray dept?

it was interesting for the first couple of hours. then after that it was all pretty much the same. i spent time in the a&e x ray dept. and the general x ray dept. also. i was scheduled to visit fluoroscopy but apprently the dept. has closed due to some machine breaking and i didn't have time to visit CT :/.
all in all, i'm still going to crack on with radiography. it's too late for a career change.
Original post by israa
I replied to Christ Church Canterbury, they need to see my work experience before they decide to offer me an interview or not.
I ve done my work placement last August for 2 weeks.

does any one have the same thing?

Do you have visit forms that you need to get signed or something? Maybe contact the hospital where you did your work experience and see if they will write about what you did on work experience and your suitability? What advice have the uni given you? Do they want you to do another stint of work experience?

Luckily, I took all the visit forms etc I needed to get filled in when I did my work experience.

it was interesting for the first couple of hours. then after that it was all pretty much the same. i spent time in the a&e x ray dept. and the general x ray dept. also. i was scheduled to visit fluoroscopy but apprently the dept. has closed due to some machine breaking and i didn't have time to visit CT :/.
all in all, i'm still going to crack on with radiography. it's too late for a career change.

Hiya, it's never too late. You're doing A Levels at the mo aren't you? Maybe see if you can arrange another day somewhere else so you can be totally sure whether or not you wanna do it? Which hospital was it if you don't mind me asking? Was it one linked with BCU? That's where you applied isn't it?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 735
Original post by ataylor222
i've got leeds confirmed for diagnostic radiography for 2011! Anyone else applied for leeds?

ahh congrats!
I have my interview on 9th Feb and im terrified lol
any tips since you obvs aced it :smile:
Hiya, it's never too late. You're doing A Levels at the mo aren't you? Maybe see if you can arrange another day somewhere else so you can be totally sure whether or not you wanna do it? Which hospital was it if you don't mind me asking? Was it one linked with BCU? That's where you applied isn't it?

yep i'm in my last year of a levels now, if i were to have a career change i'd apply to pharmacy. i've got plently of pharmacy work experience so i know more about it compared to radiography.
i have extra placement at another hospital later down the year, perhaps it will be more different to my last placement. (fingers crossed). the hospital i was at yesterday was birmingham heartland's hospital, i think it is linked with BCU because i was speaking to 1st and 2nd year students from there who are doing radiography.
and no i haven't applied to BCU :smile:. i've applied to leeds, liverpool, exeter, portsmouth and city. i currently have an offer from liverpool and an interview with porstmouth next month.
yep i'm in my last year of a levels now, if i were to have a career change i'd apply to pharmacy. i've got plently of pharmacy work experience so i know more about it compared to radiography.
i have extra placement at another hospital later down the year, perhaps it will be more different to my last placement. (fingers crossed). the hospital i was at yesterday was birmingham heartland's hospital, i think it is linked with BCU because i was speaking to 1st and 2nd year students from there who are doing radiography.
and no i haven't applied to BCU :smile:. i've applied to leeds, liverpool, exeter, portsmouth and city. i currently have an offer from liverpool and an interview with porstmouth next month.

Did you get chance to speak to the students? Were they enjoying the course at BCU? Maybe if you don't like your next bit of work experience you could try for pharmacy through clearing or something? You never know, there might be places if you decide radiography isn't for you. What made you choose radiography over pharmacy if you've got loads of work experience and know more about pharmacy?
Did you get chance to speak to the students? Were they enjoying the course at BCU? Maybe if you don't like your next bit of work experience you could try for pharmacy through clearing or something? You never know, there might be places if you decide radiography isn't for you. What made you choose radiography over pharmacy if you've got loads of work experience and know more about pharmacy?

i did speak to them yes! they said they liked the course, however they didn't really show much enthusiasm for it.
it all depends on my grades really, if i get higher than expected i may choose pharmacy via clearing.
i choose radiography after i had a nasty fall a year ago. i thought it was really interesting, i really liked the radiation physics section in my AS level chemistry too. so i thought why not :smile:. i didn't get any radiography work experience last year, therefore i did some at the pharmacy instead.
Original post by Chippy92
ahh congrats!
I have my interview on 9th Feb and im terrified lol
any tips since you obvs aced it :smile:

I know this sounds corny but be yourself! the interview isnt as bad as you think! it'll probably be with two people and its more like a casual chat. Theyll ask you why you chose leeds and why radiography. Stuff like that! Im sure youll be fine! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest