The Student Room Group
Why not just send all of them before 15th? The fact is applications will mroe than likely rise again this year, and you'd be better off getting your application in, before there are mountains of others to compare you against (though I am aware some universities only consider applications after the deadline, others consider them as they come in).
ForGreatJustice
Why not just send all of them before 15th? The fact is applications will mroe than likely rise again this year, and you'd be better off getting your application in, before there are mountains of others to compare you against (though I am aware some universities only consider applications after the deadline, others consider them as they come in).

It would be easier that way... If I can, I will. I think that I'll apply at the December the 1st to the rest.
Reply 3
You can add choices later if you haven't used up all your choices but it's most irregular.
i.am.lost
You can add choices later if you haven't used up all your choices but it's most irregular.

Well, I'm not regular. :biggrin:
King-Panther
It would be easier that way... If I can, I will. I think that I'll apply at the December the 1st to the rest.

....why? There is literally no benefit to doing that :lolwut:
Yes. You can.
ForGreatJustice

one year bham actually changed the requirement for medicine in the same year, in September it one one thing and October it was another, and you were compared to the requirements of the month you applied :s

but i agree some unis dont look till the deadline so there no point, however some dont, i applied to all my courses early and one considered applicants before the deadline, i got an offer in a week(it was my backup though)
Reply 8
King-Panther
When applying to Cambridge, could I send of the UCAS application before the 15th of October to Cambridge and add and send my application for my other choices on a later date?
Yes, you can do this. If you only make one choice at that stage you pay the lower fee and will have to 'top it up' before you can add the other choices. You need to have added those extra choices by 15 January to ensure equal consideration. By then you will know whether you have been successful with Cambridge, of course.

Incidentally, it makes NO difference to your chances of an offer if you leave it until the 15 January deadline to apply.
Sockpirate
....why? There is literally no benefit to doing that :lolwut:

Well there is - if you apply to just 1 choice you pay a fraction of the cost, so if you get an offer through from that one choice and you plan to accept it then there's no need to submit (or pay for) the extra choices.

Plus there is an awful lot you can fit in in the 4/5 months between Apply2011 opening and the Jan 15th Deadline - work experience, subject specific extra curriculars, more detailed study on your subject of choice, more work on an extended project etc etc etc - all of which add even more value to both your application and your judgement on which universities and courses to apply to.

Given the number of people who pop up on TSR every year during results time saying that they picked a firm or insurance university they no longer want to go to I'd say the more time taken to make a measured, good decision on which courses and universities to apply to the better.
Can you alter your PS months later though? Many universities start giving out offers straight away, so although theoretically applying late means they have to consider your application in the same way, there may be a lot of late applications and not that many places left. Just something to consider before sending OFF your application.
notanumber
Can you alter your PS months later though? Many universities start giving out offers straight away, so although theoretically applying late means they have to consider your application in the same way, there may be a lot of late applications and not that many places left. Just something to consider before sending OFF your application.

The 1st of December isn't that late is it?
Reply 12
notanumber
Can you alter your PS months later though?
No. However some universities are willing to accept 'updates' if you have genuinely new information to put forward - you would email this directly to the uni. This is not an opportunity to submit something along the lines of "I just love your university", more to provide an update on material that was in your original application. For example, your PS might have said "I plan to...." and now you are able to say "I did....". However a Cambridge quality PS should stand you in good stead for most other universities, regardless. If you decided to apply for a completely different course, you can ask the uni if you can submit a revised PS directly, but they will still see the original one, which went on and on about how you really really wanted to do course 'x' :smile:.

All the things PQ refers to aren't necessarily things you can tell the uni about directly when adding choices, but it is the further experience and knowledge that better informs your choice of uni - thus reducing the risk of contributing to the vast number of threads we get every year from people saying "I've changed my mind".
Reply 13
notanumber
As long as you apply by 15 January you are guaranteed equal consideration. Lots of people apply in October and are rejected in April, just as other people apply on 15 January to the same unis and get offers.
Minerva
As long as you apply by 15 January you are guaranteed equal consideration. Lots of people apply in October and are rejected in April, just as other people apply on 15 January to the same unis and get offers.

So the 1st of December is not very late.
Reply 15
King-Panther
So the 1st of December is not very late.
No, of course it isn't!

Latest