The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
I'm certainly edging towards getting an all-in-one. I've been perusing the Imperial website and saw mentions of printing budgets for students but no actual values were given. If a current student could comment on whether you get a budget and how many pages you get would be helpful.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
I have an all-in-one laser printer with me. Cost £70, including free cartridge worth £70. (erm?)
Soooooooooooooooooooo useful when you just really cba walking to the library or similar to print like A SHEET out. You'll also find yourself very popular with similarly minded people who cba, yet didn't bring a printer of their own....
One person used my printer for ages and would pay me in chocolate. It worked. Just bung it on the floor under your desk and it doesnt take up any space either :smile:
^ If you don't mind me asking, which printer do you have and is it cost effective?

I've been looking up on all-in-ones and I'm trying to find one which is reasonably priced and cheap to run.
Reply 4
alterbridge06
^ If you don't mind me asking, which printer do you have and is it cost effective?

I've been looking up on all-in-ones and I'm trying to find one which is reasonably priced and cheap to run.

Erm. I have a Samsung SCX-4300 All in One Mono Laser Printer, Scanner and Copier. £70 from Staples last year I think. The cartridges will be £70, so I might as well buy a new printer next time, but I wont need a new cartridge for another year or so probably... if even that...

College printing is quite cheap, but it's just effort to go to the library sometimes....
Reply 5
Only massive geeks bring printers to uni, it's unnecessary, and at my uni (and probably others) the printing system works by you slapping money (spare change mostly) in a machine and telling it your login details, and it tops your printer balance up, and then you print stuff out, it'll be like 2p for an a4 b+w page, 5p for colour, and maybe 20p for an a2 full colour page (I think that's about right for my uni prices), so it'll be cheaper than buying a printer and ink cartridges over a year, and you won't get annoying flatmates asking to borrow your printer at 3am when you have to be up at 7.
Reply 6
storm_jh
Only massive geeks

Please remember you're in the Imperial forum... we're all massive geeks.

Imperial's print service works using your ID card by the way people, not by putting money into the printers. You have to have virtual credit (topped up by department etc).
Reply 7
I didn't see the forum, saw this on the home page.
Quite a lot of people have their own printer in halls as the nearest printer you can get in prob in the lib or on campus. I havent seen anyone with their own scanner.
Reply 9
Computer_Dude
Quite a lot of people have their own printer in halls as the nearest printer you can get in prob in the lib or on campus. I havent seen anyone with their own scanner.

Generally, how often do we need to print?
chfshifter
Generally, how often do we need to print?

depends how you study. Some lecturer prints out slides for you, some dont. Same with tutorials. But when exam comes, quite a few still prints out all exam papers. If you prefer to study on paper rather than electronically, then you prob print out all slides to make notes on etc else you dont have to print out anything.
Get a printer. The ones in the library are a pain...
I personally wouldn't bring a printer because someone else will have one that you can use (hey Paul :awesome:).

But seriously, it's too much effort. Printing is way more cost effective using their ones, and scanning is actually a joke. You can probably scan a stack of 100 pages in like a minute to one nice, good quality PDF.

If you're DoC then definitely don't get one, but if you're not, then possibly as I did use the library once and it drove me up the wall.

Personally, it's a case of if you're unsure, don't buy one. Buy one if you realise you'll need one later in the year.
Reply 13
jayshah31
I personally wouldn't bring a printer because someone else will have one that you can use (hey Paul :awesome:).

"hey Paul 'awesome'"

Yer. I am awesome. Thanks Jay :biggrin:
I had one until it ran out of ink

Then I used unis seen as I was there the whole time. 9-5 contact hours woop.

Latest

Trending

Trending