The Student Room Group

Official 'Gappies' Thread for 2011-2012 :D

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phenylethylamine_
Aww! Don't worry, this is it, so give it your best shot :wink: Tell me all about it! I'm hoping Durham would also reply to me soooon! :biggrin:

Ahhh, I hope to see you at King's or Durham xD they're my top choices :smile: King's replied to me within one day of application being sent :redface: I was well happy, but I really really hope you also get an offer! I know how bad you want to go there!! :cool:

So far I've got an acknowledgement from Durham/Nottingham.

WUT. I'm happy for you....but DISGUSTED/JEALOUS at the same time. The wait is genuinely killing me right now. :colonhash:

I hope I see you at King's/Durham too. :woo: You don't live in London do you btw? I keep thinking you're an EU student for some reason lol.
Original post by Strüberry
WUT. I'm happy for you....but DISGUSTED/JEALOUS at the same time. The wait is genuinely killing me right now. :colonhash:

I hope I see you at King's/Durham too. :woo: You don't live in London do you btw? I keep thinking you're an EU student for some reason lol.

HAHA. Thanks love :wink: The Wait is killing me from Durhammmmmmm :frown:

LOL, why do you think that? I indeed live in London, I live about 45 minutes away from KCL via tube. :wink: Hence, why I've been there so many times :biggrin:

I applied to Imperial last year for medicine which is literally 30 minutes away from tube, but then I thought, what's the point of applying to somewhere so near because it's a hefty price living out in London...but I couldn't help myself from applying to King's. :cool:
HAHA. Thanks love :wink: The Wait is killing me from Durhammmmmmm :frown:

LOL, why do you think that? I indeed live in London, I live about 45 minutes away from KCL via tube. :wink: Hence, why I've been there so many times :biggrin:

I applied to Imperial last year for medicine which is literally 30 minutes away from tube, but then I thought, what's the point of applying to somewhere so near because it's a hefty price living out in London...but I couldn't help myself from applying to King's. :cool:

I thought I saw a EU flag next to your name. Haha, never mind. :colondollar:

I live 30 minutes away from King's! Still not quite sure about what I'll do with accommodation but hey ho, gotta get an offer first! I'll worry about the little things like where I'll be living for an entire year some other time. :sigh: Speaking of visiting King's sneakily by Tube, I do that too. I get all excited whenever I go past Chancery Lane/Holborn/Waterloo. ;D

MY GOD. I AM A LOSER.
I thought I saw a EU flag next to your name. Haha, never mind. :colondollar:

I live 30 minutes away from King's! Still not quite sure about what I'll do with accommodation but hey ho, gotta get an offer first! I'll worry about the little things like where I'll be living for an entire year some other time. :sigh: Speaking of visiting King's sneakily by Tube, I do that too. I get all excited whenever I go past Chancery Lane/Holborn/Waterloo. ;D

MY GOD. I AM A LOSER.

Lol, ahh okay. :tongue: Ooh 30 minutes, noice noice :wink: You beat me by 15 minutes xD Hmm..I don't know whether to live out or not, it's so near :/ I do want to, it's just too expensive...hmm, I'll see later :smile:
Sorry, took my time to reply, been so busy! Heard anything else from anywhere? :smile: I haven't :frown:

Hahaha! Ahh wells, hope we sad people actually go there in the end xD I've only been to Guy's campus, which is on London Bridge station, never seen the waterloo campus. :rolleyes:

How's rev going? It's killing me :mad: I get sooooo bored, when I was actually revising during term time, I found it challenging, now it all seems too easy because we've done it before, it's like going over things 'just in case'.
Reply 204
hiii i thought i'd join in, i'm on a gap year too this year

not doing anything exciting except working in m&s, fun fun :P
Original post by metric
hiii i thought i'd join in, i'm on a gap year too this year

not doing anything exciting except working in m&s, fun fun :P

Hello ;D

I hate that you have a job and I don't. :colonhash:

Lol, ahh okay. :tongue: Ooh 30 minutes, noice noice :wink: You beat me by 15 minutes xD Hmm..I don't know whether to live out or not, it's so near :/ I do want to, it's just too expensive...hmm, I'll see later :smile:
Sorry, took my time to reply, been so busy! Heard anything else from anywhere? :smile: I haven't :frown:

Hahaha! Ahh wells, hope we sad people actually go there in the end xD I've only been to Guy's campus, which is on London Bridge station, never seen the waterloo campus. :rolleyes:

How's rev going? It's killing me :mad: I get sooooo bored, when I was actually revising during term time, I found it challenging, now it all seems too easy because we've done it before, it's like going over things 'just in case'.

Nah. Still waiting lol. And ughhh I'm freaking out big time over exams. They seemed so far away in October but now it's like 8 weeks. 8 WEEKS!!! That's nothing *sigh*. Out of interest, are you doing Biology resits by any chance? I need a study buddy, I'm majorly slacking tbh :colondollar:

Oh and you definitely need to drop by the Strand! It's delicious haha. The KCL menfolk are excellent specimens. I went to visit a friend's halls once; I did not want to leave at all. :nooo:
Hello
I am in my last year at college, and i am considering taking a gap year as i could not decide what course or even subject i would like to pursue at university. Would you reccomend this or should i just apply for what i think i may like?

Also what did you do during your gap year and did universities see you as an equal applicant to those who have just left college?
Did it matter to them what you did during your year as long as it was something, or did they want you to have done something related to the course you applied for?
Are there any universities or courses who do not like gap years?

At the moment all i can see myself doing is getting a part time job and volunteering at a few places.
Thankyou
Sonal
Hello
I am in my last year at college, and i am considering taking a gap year as i could not decide what course or even subject i would like to pursue at university. Would you reccomend this or should i just apply for what i think i may like? I am predicted A*AA/AAA

Also what did you do during your gap year and did universities see you as an equal applicant to those who have just left college?
Did it matter to them what you did during your year as long as it was something, or did they want you to have done something related to the course you applied for?

The subjects I am studying at A Level are Maths Biology and Chemistry. I do not think i will want to study maths at university. I am really torn on what to do. Everyone thinks I should be going to a top uni with the grades I have and am predicted, and part of me feels like I have let myself down big time.

I think my main problem is that I dont enjoy the sciences as much as I used to before. And I dont know if i should take a science or change track completly to something like law as I havnt ever studied that either.

At the moment all i can see myself doing is getting a part time job and volunteering at a few places.
Thankyou
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 208
Hello ;D

i might not in a few weeks, contract ends on 3rd of december i'm praying they keep me on :frown:

you should try for supermarkets they are good places to work
Reply 209
Hello!
I'm on a gap year as well - i just dropped out of Uni in the UK and my family have just moved to Sydney so i'm following them - getting a job to earn some money and going travelling with my friend from the UK to Thailand, Singapore, Cairns down to Sydney, NZ and Fiji, then apply for Uni here for the next year!
X
Reply 210
Original post by MoTheMedic
Where in Peru are you going? :smile:

I won't find out until about March, Project Trust decide after they have all of their selection courses where everyone is going for definite. They have loads of projects in Peru though, so it's pot luck where I end up :smile: I might not 100% end up in Peru though, its about 80% that I'll go there, but possibly Cambodia or Bolivia which is awesome! Where are you thinking of going?!
(edited 12 years ago)
hi everyone,
is it too late to be entered in for a Jan exam? I have already sent off my payment for the Jan exam entries but lately, i have been thinking about self teaching Environmental studies A level (as/a2)
Reply 212
Original post by driftingaway
hi everyone,
is it too late to be entered in for a Jan exam? I have already sent off my payment for the Jan exam entries but lately, i have been thinking about self teaching Environmental studies A level (as/a2)

Yes, it is too late. Most colleges just completed their entries, you'll have to look towards May or you can check if they still take late entry fees.
Original post by starchick11
Hello
I am in my last year at college, and i am considering taking a gap year as i could not decide what course or even subject i would like to pursue at university. Would you reccomend this or should i just apply for what i think i may like? I am predicted A*AA/AAA

Thankyou

I personally suggest you take a gap year if you're not sure what you want to do. That's one of the major advantages of them. I was convinced throughout sixth form that I wanted to do maths and philosophy, and then changed my mind right at the end, deciding I really didn't want to do maths at all. I considered politics and it all clicked.

From what I've heard, most unis don't mind it at all as long as you're doing something. Volunteering, work, a bit of travel. If you're not sure what subject you want to do at university, spend some time actively trying to find out. I'm doing lots of philosophy and politics reading and so I know I'll love my degree!

Whether a uni will think it's a good thing in general does depend on what subjects you're considering - if you want to do maths (and in some cases sciences), some unis will see it as a bad thing that you're taking a gap year. Otherwise, from admissions tutors I know, they always seem to see it as a good thing. It makes you want to go to uni more (if you do - are you certain of that?), and especially in your case when you're not sure what you want to do.
(edited 12 years ago)
just got an offer from exeter!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello ;D

Nah. Still waiting lol. And ughhh I'm freaking out big time over exams. They seemed so far away in October but now it's like 8 weeks. 8 WEEKS!!! That's nothing *sigh*. Out of interest, are you doing Biology resits by any chance? I need a study buddy, I'm majorly slacking tbh :colondollar:

Oh and you definitely need to drop by the Strand! It's delicious haha. The KCL menfolk are excellent specimens. I went to visit a friend's halls once; I did not want to leave at all. :nooo:

Ahh okay, yes I know, 8 weeks!!! But, I still find it hard to revise, so so hard, it's realllly boring me out! Nope, thank God, no Biology resits, I had the worst exam board, Edexcel SNAB!!! Have you heard of that nasty board? It's horrible.
What board are you on?

Oooh, I SURE will xD Haha, delicious, noice! I need to see some eye candy, I feel so deprived of a social life atm :/

Btw, how was your DURHAM interview?? :biggrin: I'm sure it went well! P.S. Any more university news? Mine is all scarily quiet atm :/

I'm so so sorry of my incredibly late reply, I've been busy...ahh what the heck, busy doing nothing for the past 3 days :O

Really need to put some effort in now!! :redface:
Original post by dancinginrainbows
I personally suggest you take a gap year if you're not sure what you want to do. That's one of the major advantages of them. I was convinced throughout sixth form that I wanted to do maths and philosophy, and then changed my mind right at the end, deciding I really didn't want to do maths at all. I considered politics and it all clicked.

From what I've heard, most unis don't mind it at all as long as you're doing something. Volunteering, work, a bit of travel. If you're not sure what subject you want to do at university, spend some time actively trying to find out. I'm doing lots of philosophy and politics reading and so I know I'll love my degree!

Whether a uni will think it's a good thing in general does depend on what subjects you're considering - if you want to do maths (and in some cases sciences), some unis will see it as a bad thing that you're taking a gap year. Otherwise, from admissions tutors I know, they always seem to see it as a good thing. It makes you want to go to uni more (if you do - are you certain of that?), and especially in your case when you're not sure what you want to do.

The subjects I am studying at A Level are Maths Biology and Chemistry. I do not think i will want to study maths at university. I am really torn on what to do. Everyone thinks I should be going to a top uni with the grades I have and am predicted, and part of me feels like I have let myself down big time.

I think my main problem is that I dont enjot the sciences as much as I used to before. And I dont know if i should take a science or change track completly to something like law as I havnt ever studied that either.
Original post by starchick11

I think my main problem is that I dont enjot the sciences as much as I used to before. And I dont know if i should take a science or change track completly to something like law as I havnt ever studied that either.

Sounds to me like you could do with a gap year. You could self study an AS Level to show you can do arts subjects and do lots of reading to find out if you want to do sciences or a particular arts subject. Don't feel like you're not fulfilling your potential, many admjssions tutors actually prefer those who have taken gap years as you really do end up desperately wanting to be at uni and know why you want to do so. You would probably have more chance getting into a really good uni if you know what you want yourself.
finally sent my ucas off yesterday. I feel like im the last person to do so.

Received an acknowledement from Kent this morning!
Why am I getting negged for post above in my conversation with Struberry? Did I say something wrong? :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest