Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sociology and primary PGCE?

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently apply for university and am thinking of doing sociology
    however at the end of this course I wish to do a PGCE primary
    can I do this with a sociology degree??
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can, but start thinking about how your degree relates to the national curriculum as you will need to put this in your application and you may be asked at your interview too.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have an anthropology degree and I'm starting a primary PGCE in a few weeks. I think my degree is very relevant to education and took the opportunity to do anything I could in choice essays etc on the topic of education/literacy etc meaning when it came to my interview I had a lot I could talk about I imagine sociology will be even easier to relate and more applicable as you'll have done things about the UK whereas I know loads about the education system in India and Nepal, then applied it to current issues in education in the UK

Get as much experience as you can with kids and in schools whilst you're at uni and then you should be grand.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    I have an anthropology degree and I'm starting a primary PGCE in a few weeks. I think my degree is very relevant to education and took the opportunity to do anything I could in choice essays etc on the topic of education/literacy etc meaning when it came to my interview I had a lot I could talk about I imagine sociology will be even easier to relate and more applicable as you'll have done things about the UK whereas I know loads about the education system in India and Nepal, then applied it to current issues in education in the UK

Get as much experience as you can with kids and in schools whilst you're at uni and then you should be grand.
    T

Thank you so much you have really reassured me, good luck with your PGCE
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:

I know this is old but i just wanted to say a quick thank you! I really get down sometimes thinking i will never be able to achieve my dream of becoming a teacher as i am doing a sociology degree at the moment. It is just so positive to hear other peoples stories and experiences that are similar(ish) to mine. Thanks

I hope it all went well as i see you posted this just over a year a go. I hope it did.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Cookie~)
    I know this is old but i just wanted to say a quick thank you! I really get down sometimes thinking i will never be able to achieve my dream of becoming a teacher as i am doing a sociology degree at the moment. It is just so positive to hear other peoples stories and experiences that are similar(ish) to mine. Thanks

I hope it all went well as i see you posted this just over a year a go. I hope it did.
    Hey,

Having a sociology degree will make no difference at all to your application as I said, don't worry. I was rejected from Edinburgh and their primary reason was that my degree wasn't in a primary subject but I also applied in a year where there were dramatic cuts to places and was told that if I had applied in another year my degree wouldn't have been held against me in the same way. I also had an interview at Aberdeen who loved the anthropology so it was all good

And yeah, now a fully qualified teacher so its all been a very exciting year! I found that my awareness and knowledge of issues during my training year was much more detailed than people with degrees from other fields and I also found the research project part of the course incredibly easy due to my social science background. Good luck!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Having a sociology degree will make no difference at all to your application as I said, don't worry. I was rejected from Edinburgh and their primary reason was that my degree wasn't in a primary subject but I also applied in a year where there were dramatic cuts to places and was told that if I had applied in another year my degree wouldn't have been held against me in the same way. I also had an interview at Aberdeen who loved the anthropology so it was all good

And yeah, now a fully qualified teacher so its all been a very exciting year! I found that my awareness and knowledge of issues during my training year was much more detailed than people with degrees from other fields and I also found the research project part of the course incredibly easy due to my social science background. Good luck!
    That was a shame about Edinburgh, i am worried about that too incase they overlook the degree, but that was only one place out of all the universities who offer it in Scotland. Congrats on becoming a fully qualified teacher, how exciting! I am doing a research project at the moment so glad that if it comes up in the PGCE i will be aware of it.

Thanks so much again!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 24, 2011
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.