The Student Room Group

Science A levels decision

I am going to go into Sixth form next year and I'm deciding which subjects to take. I've already decided that i want to do Maths, Business Studies and Chemistry but I'm unsure whether to take biology or physics as my fourth subject.

I don't know what i want to be when i grow up and i am thinking about doing a science degree in Uni but i have no idea which one. Could someone please help me decide which science i should take and what science degree's are good to take for Uni (enjoyable, good job prospects etc). What good jobs are there in science? Are there any jobs i can go into other than science related ones which i can do with the subjects i am taking for A level? Please help me i have no idea and am really panicking.
Reply 1
If you're considering physics I wouldn't be influenced by GCSE physics, the two are not very similar at all.
A level physics is a lot of fun in my opinion, although I'm pretty biased.
If you're good at maths (as in, A or above at GCSE...maybe B or above) then you should cope with physics just fine.
Reply 2
I got A* in science and maths GCSE, i think i can cope, that's not the problem, the problem is which is better to do degree/jobwise because if i pick physics i am limiting my options in case i wanted to do something biology related. I really have no idea what i should do so do you advise me to go with the maths physics route or should i keep my options open and take bio.
Reply 3
Well physics can lead to all kinds of careers as it involves a certain amount of thinking and problem solving, although as you say, you might want to do biology later on in life.

I guess you could take physics, then if you don't like it swap to biology after a few weeks, if that can be timetabled anyway. Or the other way around.

It's your choice though - maybe you should go with you gut feeling.
If you want to do a science based degree why not drop business studies and take both biology and physics?
Reply 5
I was worried about taking all three sciences as the work load may to be too much for me and 2 a's in science is better than 3 b's. I don't know whether physics related jobs or bio related jobs are better for me as i don't really know what jobs there are, if any could give suggestions and maybe tell me interesting and enjoyable science jobs it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 6
Saf94
I am going to go into Sixth form next year and I'm deciding which subjects to take. I've already decided that i want to do Maths, Business Studies and Chemistry but I'm unsure whether to take biology or physics as my fourth subject.

I don't know what i want to be when i grow up and i am thinking about doing a science degree in Uni but i have no idea which one. Could someone please help me decide which science i should take and what science degree's are good to take for Uni (enjoyable, good job prospects etc). What good jobs are there in science? Are there any jobs i can go into other than science related ones which i can do with the subjects i am taking for A level? Please help me i have no idea and am really panicking.

As an engineer I might be slightly biased but I'd take physics. I took Maths, Physics, Chemistry & Design Technology at AS, and dropped DT for A2.

Maths, chemistry and physics all compliment each other really well and are perfect for degrees like physics, chemistry or engineering.

If you haven't gave engineering a look then maybe you should! The course content is a mix of applied and pure maths, with a business side of managing costs, health and safety etc, along with a practical side.
It also has very good job prospects, with the UK currently in a need of highly qualified engineers!

If you have any questions then PM me :smile:
Reply 7
Josh-H
As an engineer I might be slightly biased but I'd take physics. I took Maths, Physics, Chemistry & Design Technology at AS, and dropped DT for A2.

Maths, chemistry and physics all compliment each other really well and are perfect for degrees like physics, chemistry or engineering.

If you haven't gave engineering a look then maybe you should! The course content is a mix of applied and pure maths, with a business side of managing costs, health and safety etc, along with a practical side.
It also has very good job prospects, with the UK currently in a need of highly qualified engineers!

If you have any questions then PM me :smile:

I've had a look at engineering and no offense but it didn't really interest me, the problem is i haven't found anything that does interest me. I enjoy sciences and maths so i know that is the area i want to go into but engineering i don't think is right for me,
Reply 8
Unless you want to go into medicine, you are probably better off with physics.
Reply 9
py0alb
Unless you want to go into medicine, you are probably better off with physics.

I don't want to go into medicine but are there not other sciences that would need biology, i'm not sure if physics/maths related sciences or jobs would interest me as they seem to me that they might be boring. Biology and nature and things like that interest me more than engineering etc.
Reply 10
Saf94
I've had a look at engineering and no offense but it didn't really interest me, the problem is i haven't found anything that does interest me. I enjoy sciences and maths so i know that is the area i want to go into but engineering i don't think is right for me,

Haha no problem, I wasn't trying to sell it or anything just thought it matched your subjects!

Basically I'd put it down to this then, take physics if you enjoy maths and want to go into a science degree such as physics or chemistry.

Physics is a highly respected degree with good job prospects in the banking + finance sectors as it shows you have brilliant maths skills.

I didn't do biology so I can't really help there!
Saf94
I got A* in science and maths GCSE, i think i can cope, that's not the problem, the problem is which is better to do degree/jobwise because if i pick physics i am limiting my options in case i wanted to do something biology related. I really have no idea what i should do so do you advise me to go with the maths physics route or should i keep my options open and take bio.

why don't you do 5 subjects upto AS and then drop 2 subjects you don't like/need @ A2.. that way you can apply for any subject at university...
drop business and take both
I would do physics if I were you. I would have loved to be able to do that- but unfortunately the only A Level physics teacher in our sixth form passed away just before we started. :frown:
Reply 14
If i do all three sciences and maths will i be able to handle it, i'm not sure if i am up to the it. Seems like alot of work and my grades might suffer
Reply 15
Saf94
I don't want to go into medicine but are there not other sciences that would need biology, i'm not sure if physics/maths related sciences or jobs would interest me as they seem to me that they might be boring. Biology and nature and things like that interest me more than engineering etc.

Physics, maths and engineering degrees open the door to more jobs than any other because employers know that they will have taught you to think logically and rigorously. Computer modelling, technology, business, finance, law, economics all target graduates from these courses.

Should you wish to do one of these degrees in order to give yourself a chance of getting a job like that, then physics will be an essential A-level.

However: if you don't anticipate wishing to go for a job like that; if you don't fancy doing one of those degrees, if you in fact see yourself doing something else to do with biology or chemistry perhaps, then obviously biology is the better option.

Personally, I find physics fascinating; however, I can understand that not everyone feels that way. :p:

Latest