The Student Room Group
Reason for dropping out?
Reply 2
If we lose free tuition they'll just get saas to cover it via tuition loans like England tbh. In the end you end up with a fair bit more debt but the way the repayments work as long as you have a decent job it's not too bad in the end.
There's always loans.
Reply 4
pamelaa
With all these cuts they're taking, my mum reckons so and so she doesn't want me to drop out of uni, and reapply next year. :/

Why are you dropping out? (Am I right in saying you are currently at strathy? lol)

The Scottish governemt would need to debate it for months, and with a new government being elected in October(I think) they won't bring it up for a good couple of months. If they do decide to change the system (Unlikley) then they would need to get this through government, and a bill passed. After that which takes a further couple of months they would need to get all the unis on board and sort out the financial side of how it would work, who would get what etc, which would take a long time.

Then, if it finally happened in a few years current students would likley be unaffected as it would not be fair, so it would only be people entering education that would be affected. By that time you would be finished university, assuming it takes a few years to redesign and overhaul the system. There would probably be a public referendum on the matter too.

So yeah I wouldn't worry about it. The scottish government will most likley defend it to the death anyway :/ Unless of course the tories down south changed financial stuff but again that would take months to pass and then it would need to get sent up to scottish parliment etc

:p: If you want to drop out and reapply, do it, and don't listen to your mother's scaremongering in an attempt to get you to stay :wink:
Reply 5
Ronar
Why are you dropping out? (Am I right in saying you are currently at strathy? lol)

The Scottish governemt would need to debate it for months, and with a new government being elected in October(I think) they won't bring it up for a good couple of months. If they do decide to change the system (Unlikley) then they would need to get this through government, and a bill passed. After that which takes a further couple of months they would need to get all the unis on board and sort out the financial side of how it would work, who would get what etc, which would take a long time.

Then, if it finally happened in a few years current students would likley be unaffected as it would not be fair, so it would only be people entering education that would be affected. By that time you would be finished university, assuming it takes a few years to redesign and overhaul the system. There would probably be a public referendum on the matter too.

So yeah I wouldn't worry about it. The scottish government will most likley defend it to the death anyway :/ Unless of course the tories down south changed financial stuff but again that would take months to pass and then it would need to get sent up to scottish parliment etc

:p: If you want to drop out and reapply, do it, and don't listen to your mother's scaremongering in an attempt to get you to stay :wink:

Thanks for that! :biggrin: You're completely right. I'm studying history and politics at strathclyde but I feel like i just kinda fell into it, i didn't know what to study at all. I emailed Aberdeen about a transfer to join in September but they said no, I might try stirling. I'd like to do primary teaching with either french or history I think. I like the idea of staying at a campus like stirling too. Feel like i kinda missed out for not staying in halls. I probably have like no chance of getting in cause there was no clearing but I could try!
Reply 6
pamelaa
Thanks for that! :biggrin: You're completely right. I'm studying history and politics at strathclyde but I feel like i just kinda fell into it, i didn't know what to study at all. I emailed Aberdeen about a transfer to join in September but they said no, I might try stirling. I'd like to do primary teaching with either french or history I think. I like the idea of staying at a campus like stirling too. Feel like i kinda missed out for not staying in halls. I probably have like no chance of getting in cause there was no clearing but I could try!

yeah :biggrin: No point in regrets and if you want a campus halls type experience then stirlings the right place hehe. If you don't get in would you just stick it out at strathy or take a gap year and just go through ucas again? :smile: You could maybe goto college or something or work and save up so you get the experience it seems you've been looking for and never got :p:
Reply 7
Ronar
yeah :biggrin: No point in regrets and if you want a campus halls type experience then stirlings the right place hehe. If you don't get in would you just stick it out at strathy or take a gap year and just go through ucas again? :smile: You could maybe goto college or something or work and save up so you get the experience it seems you've been looking for and never got :p:

I'd probably just stick with strathy tbh. i've given stirling an email, so we'll see what they've got to say! Thanks for your help :biggrin:
Reply 8
pamelaa
I'd probably just stick with strathy tbh. i've given stirling an email, so we'll see what they've got to say! Thanks for your help :biggrin:

No problem. Just think of it like this, you have the 'awesome' union so even if you hate it its only a fiver to drown your sorrows :wink:
What ever happens it won't affect current students. When the system changed in England in 2006 students who entered in 2005 or earlier (or had deferred entry from 2005 for 2006) stayed on the old system for the entirety of their degree, it was only the 2006 entry onwards who were affected by the change. This would be the same in Scotland - they'd have to honour what ever the deal was when you started university, I would assume.

For a fee change bill to be in place by 2011 entry they'd need to be starting to pass it now as UCAS opens in a matter of weeks for applications for the new year and therefore they can't really make changes for 2011 once we're into the cycle as it'd be too late, any changes they discuss now will be for 2012 at the earliest. It took about 2 years of discussion in England I recall before the date was set for fee changes from 2006.

Anyway - its not the end of the world, you'll just have to get into debt in the process like the rest of the UK :smile: I'm not sure how far into your degree you are, but have you considered doing a PGDE when you've graduated instead? (although Primary is damn hard to get into at the moment, but it might be better once you've graduated - you're not applying in a good year for primary education in Scotland).

Latest