The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Gez1990
There's nothing wrong with going to an ex-poly if it has the course you want to do.
It's good that some people that want to go to a university which has always been a university - but anyone who tries to put someone else down because of the type of university they're going go is chatting out of their arse. Plain and simple. People get brave behind the anonymity of the internet - but they'd never just outright say that to someone's face.

Hear hear!! :biggrin:
River85
They, along with places like Northumbria, Oxford Brookes, De Montfort, University of West of England and Birmingham City University are all the former polytechnics.

They were institutions of higher education who were given university status in 1992. Before then most major cities had a university and a polytechnics. So Newcastle had Newcastle University and (what is now) Northumbria. For Sheffield then the University of Sheffield alonside what is now Sheffield Hallam.

Just like there was some snobbery with the plate glass universities (eg. Warwick, York, Kent) in the 1960s there is snobbery from some about former polytechincs.

The former polytechnics still offered academic courses, but they were also known for providing more techincal and vocational courses like teaching and nursing. So this has created a little bit of snobbery over the years

Sorry, but how exactly does that create snobbery?
Mr Sparkles
They're ex-polys. Nuff said.

Nuff said? They weren't universities and now they are. You weren't an adult, but now you are (apparently). Does that make you crap? I suppose so :smile:
prospectivEEconomist
Cut the politically correct crap please. The simple truth is polytechnics are for *********, chavs, idiots, retards etc. Period.

I agree, only because of the use of the words are for.

However, there are people who are not retarded idiotic chavs that do not to ex-polys; but the exception does not make the rule. :p:
Reply 64
pippa90
Sorry, but how exactly does that create snobbery?

Because it's traditionally seen that if a student takes a vocational course, they are intellectually second best. Like in the old Tripartite System, students who failed the 11+ examination (and subsequently went to a Secondary Modern or a Secondary Technical) were depicted as 'non-academic', and generally seen as 'intellectually second-best' to students who passed the 11+ examination.
Reply 65
Have some respect for students on art courses. The old art schools have mostly been merged with the second or even third uni in a city. They are the only places we can take the courses, which are well respected.

I'm going to an ex-poly to do an arts course and I've got straight As. I don't know anyone on my course who's got less than AAB. Most of us have also done a year's art foundation, and have had to produce projects and portfolios for multi-interviews.

Have you seen the arts campus at NTU? The facilities are excellent. Have you seen the plans for the new £80 million art and design building at Middlesex uni which is opening next year? I can't see any way in which the students, courses or qualifications are second best.
Reply 66
CookieDoughLove
If you think that, then you have some serious issues.

You think grades are everything? Um no, personality, attitude, morals, they are what is important. You have no idea how pathetic it is to judge someone based on grades.

And FYI I was very happy with mine.

From the way you go on, I take it you get full marks, straight As, blah blah etc, and you think that type of person would automatically be a better person than me? With your attitude? No, not a chance. Pull your head out your arse love.

I wouldn't let yourself get drawn in by imsoacademic, Cookie. She isn't even old enough to be applying to universities yet - I've come across her in various university threads and it seems to be her thing to belittle people who don't live up to her academic standards :rolleyes:
Just do what I, and many people, do here and ignore her. Heck, I'm going to an ex-poly next month and I'm damn proud of the course that I've found, and I'm not going to let some silly little kid on the internet dictate that I should be otherwise :smile: :hugs:

(On a sidenote, I've just realised I've quoted you in two different threads in quick succession - I'm not a stalker! :biggrin:)
SCFCJAMES
Because it's traditionally seen that if a student takes a vocational course, they are intellectually second best. Like in the old Tripartite System, students who failed the 11+ examination (and subsequently went to a Secondary Modern or a Secondary Technical) were depicted as 'non-academic', and generally seen as 'intellectually second-best' to students who passed the 11+ examination.

Lol, traditionally. ********. Has no one ever considered that people who choose to do vocational courses could easily do an 'academic' course but choose not to, because they find that their vocational subject is more interesting? Also, some vocational courses take up a lot more brainpower than academic courses; such as architecture, engineering, spacial design, etc.
pippa90
Has no one ever considered that people who choose to do vocational courses could easily do an 'academic' course but choose not to, because they find that their vocational subject is more interesting?

This.

I could have gone and studied maths - got the grades and got the place. I chose not to.
TheSownRose
This.

I could have gone and studied maths - got the grades and got the place. I chose not to.

My point exactly :biggrin:
Reply 70
TheSownRose
This.

Offtopic, but yay! Word of the day's back! :p:
Jack.O
Offtopic, but yay! Word of the day's back! :p:

Always intended for it to be. :wink: Clearing questions have mostly died down, so I thought it was time.

Glad people like it enough to notice it's gone, and come back. :smile:
Reply 72
TheSownRose
Always intended for it to be. :wink: Clearing questions have mostly died down, so I thought it was time.

Glad people like it enough to notice it's gone, and come back. :smile:

Definitely a hit with the English students I'd bet; we love quirky words! :wink:
Reply 73
pippa90
Lol, traditionally. ********. Has no one ever considered that people who choose to do vocational courses could easily do an 'academic' course but choose not to, because they find that their vocational subject is more interesting? Also, some vocational courses take up a lot more brainpower than academic courses; such as architecture, engineering, spacial design, etc.

It is traditionally seen though that students who take vocational subjects are academically 'second-best'. People have always considered Vocational education a 'second-class' option. In order to take a vocational subject in the old Tripartite education system, you needed to fail the 11+ examination.

Plus, if you actually read my reply, you'll see that I never said I agreed with that view that students who take vocational subjects are academically 'second-best'. Vocational education is an important part of our education system, and I value vocational subjects as much as I value academic subjects.
SCFCJAMES
It is traditionally seen though that students who take vocational subjects are academically 'second-best'. People have always considered Vocational education a 'second-class' option. In order to take a vocational subject in the old Tripartite education system, you needed to fail the 11+ examination.

The problem is, a lot of TSR users probably don't even know about this, yet they still feel superior to people studying vocational courses.

SCFCJAMES
Plus, if you actually read my reply, you'll see that I never said I agreed with that view that students who take vocational subjects are academically 'second-best'. Vocational education is an important part of our education system, and I value vocational subjects as much as I value academic subjects.

Good :smile: Sorry for any misconceptions.
Reply 75
pippa90
The problem is, a lot of TSR users probably don't even know about this, yet they still feel superior to people studying vocational courses.

I agree. If you don't get 10 A*'s at GCSE, you're seen as academically inferior on TSR.

pippa90
Good :smile: Sorry for any misconceptions.

It's alright :smile:
Gez1990
I wouldn't let yourself get drawn in by imsoacademic, Cookie. She isn't even old enough to be applying to universities yet - I've come across her in various university threads and it seems to be her thing to belittle people who don't live up to her academic standards :rolleyes:
Just do what I, and many people, do here and ignore her. Heck, I'm going to an ex-poly next month and I'm damn proud of the course that I've found, and I'm not going to let some silly little kid on the internet dictate that I should be otherwise :smile: :hugs:

(On a sidenote, I've just realised I've quoted you in two different threads in quick succession - I'm not a stalker! :biggrin:)

Haha well you noticed more than me because I didn't realise.

It will be interesting to see what grades imsoacademic actually applies to uni with :yep:
If you study hard and get a good degree then it shouldn't matter what uni you went to...

Say if two students study the same subject, and both leave uni with a 2:1 or a first, except one student went to a 'met' uni and the other went to a traditional uni then surely that actually reflects well upon the met student... if the snobs say that met uni's are supposedly poor quality, or have poor facilities and poor teaching then it shows that the met student has worked extra hard and against the odds yet has still succeeded.

Unfortunately, I doubt everyone will view it like that, but this is a positive way of undermining the negative comments :smile:
CookieDoughLove
No I don't. It's unnecessary snobbery. There are people with lower grades than me at college, but I don't look down on them.

Just because they go to a more superior uni does not give them the right to look down on me, it doesn't make them the better person at all.

<3 :heart:
Reply 79
ive found the new universities ten to be less research focused, this causes the lower league table rankings. However I study Computer Networking at ARU, Chelmsford. To class a uni as crap by when it became a uni is simply rubbish. If you have been there and you found teaching crap, then thats more valid. Most of the uni's that offer networking were new universities(as far as i remember).

Latest

Trending

Trending