The Student Room Group

How important is the A* predicted grades for top-level universities?

I'll give you a quick summary of my progress so far. I got 10 A*s at GCSE, and I just got 4 As at my AS-Level.
I managed to get 100% for one module in maths, got about four marks off full marks overall in English, and got 144/150 for the final module of Biology. However with Chemistry I barely scraped the A.
Now I'm applying for pure biology in UCL, Imperial and Oxford (college undecided).

It seems that I should hopefully be predicted A*s in three of my subjects but not necessarily in Chemistry (unfortunate, considering my mock exams were strong to the point that in internal predictions I was predicted an A* in the A-Level).

Now the reason I'm saying all this is how important is it to get predicted A*s? I assume all my universities will see is my personal statement, my AS-level grades (but not module scores, that's only Cambridge, please verify?!?) and my predicted grades (and my interviewing skills for Oxford)... Assuming that my personal statement is good, how important are these predicted grades? Are Oxford expecting all predicted A*s, or is it more of an 'icing on the cake' situation?

Also for people who have had the experience, what does it take for a teacher to predict you an A*? If I've been a generally strong student, but barely scraped an A in the subject due to a mishap, will they assume that then I'll definitely struggle in getting an A* and therefore only predict me an A?

Thanks for reading.
Reply 1
What are you applying for? SOme courses are more competitive, and so the A* means more, as it helps differentiate just that little bit more
Reply 2
Anon1993
What are you applying for? SOme courses are more competitive, and so the A* means more, as it helps differentiate just that little bit more

I'm applying to do a pure Biology degree at Imperial, UCL and Oxford, as I previously stated.

And my question is how relevant the A* is to me, based on the information I gave in the original post.

Would like to hear about that as well. Cause for example you can get predicted 1 A*, don't get an offer based on that but in reality able to achieve all A*. I might be completely wrong ! ^^
Reply 4
Eh I'm not sure, my teachers predicted me A*A*A*A, and I got A*AAB and I got an offer to study at UCL (where the offer was A*AA for all students) I guess more universitys especially the higher ones will use the A* in their offers. But part of me feels that my teachers led me on - I too ahd 10A*s and 2 As at GCSE, 4As at AS, but even though I tried my absolute hardest I only managed A*AAB :/ but that is me - and if you can persuade your teachers to predict you more A*s I am sure that it will help especially at somewhere like UCL because all they rely on is your grades and a PS. Good luck!
Reply 5
AlexB1001
I'm applying to do a pure Biology degree at Imperial, UCL and Oxford, as I previously stated.

And my question is how relevant the A* is to me, based on the information I gave in the original post.

From what I understand it wont be all that essential to be predicted an A* for the first year or two of its introduction.

The fact of the matter is that its still not all that reliable an indicator of a students excellence as the procedure for predicting an A* varies dramatically between schools;eg I know that at my school they were very careful and only predicted it to people who got safely over 90%+ UMS at AS and showed excellence in the subject,whereas I know of other schools in the area where all it took was a decent A in the subject at AS.
This disparity means that universities wont look all that much at A*s for a while,so I wouldnt worry if I were you,besides its not like A*A*A*A is a bad set of predictions :p: .
Reply 6
I think you'll be fine howeer if you want your teacher to predict you an A* then you need to basically kiss ass lol
if your nice to her she'll predict you an A* andget more noticed in class (not for bad things ) I think you'll be fine just stop stressing and chill :smile:

You'll be fine they'll be lucky to have you :smile:
Reply 7
AlexB1001
I'll give you a quick summary of my progress so far. I got 10 A*s at GCSE, and I just got 4 As at my AS-Level.
I managed to get 100% for one module in maths, got about four marks off full marks overall in English, and got 144/150 for the final module of Biology. However with Chemistry I barely scraped the A.
Now I'm applying for pure biology in UCL, Imperial and Oxford (college undecided).

It seems that I should hopefully be predicted A*s in three of my subjects but not necessarily in Chemistry (unfortunate, considering my mock exams were strong to the point that in internal predictions I was predicted an A* in the A-Level).

Now the reason I'm saying all this is how important is it to get predicted A*s? I assume all my universities will see is my personal statement, my AS-level grades (but not module scores, that's only Cambridge, please verify?!?) and my predicted grades (and my interviewing skills for Oxford)... Assuming that my personal statement is good, how important are these predicted grades? Are Oxford expecting all predicted A*s, or is it more of an 'icing on the cake' situation?

Also for people who have had the experience, what does it take for a teacher to predict you an A*? If I've been a generally strong student, but barely scraped an A in the subject due to a mishap, will they assume that then I'll definitely struggle in getting an A* and therefore only predict me an A?

Thanks for reading.

You're exactly like me, I did Chem, Bio, Maths and Eng Lit, yet whilst Biology, Maths and English were high A's, I scraped an A with my Chemistry, when I'm one of the strongest students in my year.

No idea what happened, but it'll either go 2 ways:
- My Chemistry teacher will realise that I made a mistake (everyone makes mistakes!) and go ahead and predict me A* based on my overall class and mock performance
- My Chemistry teacher will start thinking that I'm prone to exam mistakes, and cannot be trusted to be predicted A*.

I think it depends on how lenient your Chemistry teacher is (and how much you beg them :yep: ).

Oxford are not handing out A* offers this year, but even so, due to the fact that you want to do Biology, it's much more important that you have the A* in Biology rather than Chemistry me thinks. As long as you meet a university's typical offer, such as AAA, A*'s really don't matter (unless, ofc, you want to apply to Cambridge, which also look at module scores).
Reply 8
Nucleolus
You're exactly like me, I did Chem, Bio, Maths and Eng Lit, yet whilst Biology, Maths and English were high A's, I scraped an A with my Chemistry, when I'm one of the strongest students in my year.

No idea what happened, but it'll either go 2 ways:
- My Chemistry teacher will realise that I made a mistake (everyone makes mistakes!) and go ahead and predict me A* based on my overall class and mock performance
- My Chemistry teacher will start thinking that I'm prone to exam mistakes, and cannot be trusted to be predicted A*.

I think it depends on how lenient your Chemistry teacher is (and how much you beg them :yep: ).

Oxford are not handing out A* offers this year, but even so, due to the fact that you want to do Biology, it's much more important that you have the A* in Biology rather than Chemistry me thinks. As long as you meet a university's typical offer, such as AAA, A*'s really don't matter (unless, ofc, you want to apply to Cambridge, which also look at module scores).

What a coincidence! How did it go for you in the end?

How common are all A* predictions for a place such as Oxford? And I'm wondering do they have a system where they say "oh no he only got predicted two A*" or is it more fluid, as in they look at the whole picture and decide?

Did anyone get predicted less than three/four A*s and get in to UCL/Imperial/Oxford for science courses? I know the A* is new but maybe a few people.
deepu05
I think you'll be fine howeer if you want your teacher to predict you an A* then you need to basically kiss ass lol
if your nice to her she'll predict you an A* andget more noticed in class (not for bad things ) I think you'll be fine just stop stressing and chill :smile:

You'll be fine they'll be lucky to have you :smile:

I agree

Latest

Trending

Trending