The Student Room Group

Advice on A levels

Hello all

I know this thread has probably been created quite a lot - but I would appreciate it if someone commented personally. I am looking to do an economics degree and then maybe become something in finance after - or possible an actuary/stockbroker.

My ultimate combination would be to do: Maths, History, Economics, Biology/Chemistry (for a bit of variety). However unfortunately history and economics clash and now the timetable has been set in stone - plus economics is done at another 6th form which is in a partnership with my school. So i've decided as a sort of compromise of doing Maths, Economics, Geography, Biology OR Maths, History, Geography/Chemistry, Biology.

Further Maths isn't offered in my sixth form which is a shame and also Physics doesn't really appeal to me - so I'm kind of in a dillema on what to do. What do I choose between History/Economics and are my two combinations noted good enough for a top university (I got high gcse results on Tuesday which was good).

Anyway - thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Anyone?
Do the a levels you were going to do originally- doing economics at the 6th form that has a partnership with your school if possible.
Reply 3
If you want to take Economics at Uni, I suggest that being your primary subject at A-Level :smile:

Maths with economics.. Uni's will love this when it comes to you applying for an Economics course.
Reply 4
Do maths and Economics if you want to do an economics course :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks guys, so Maths with Economics it is then. Is Geography a good A level to take - because it looks like a good alternative to History.
Reply 6
Alongside Maths and Economics, any respected subjects will be great.

Geography, Religious Studies, English Lit, Biology, Chemistry etc.... all good choices. Just go with whatever you prefer.
Reply 7
Thanks Gawge. I want to do one essay subject and one science subject alongside Maths and Economics -thats why History and Biology/Chemistry would be my choices in an ideal world. But Geography and Biology (chemistry clashes with Geography) wouldnt be too bad. Another alternative would be to do History at the other school which is in partnership, but doing 2 subjects at a school that I haven't been to would be quite difficult.
Reply 8
Either of those choices would be great.

Remember out of these two subjects you will be choosing (Geography, History, Biology or Chemistry) that you will probably drop one of them after the first year, so there isn't too much to worry about. I personally think that you should go with Geography or History plus Biology. Just have a look at the courses and see which on you would prefer.
Maths, economics and geography sound good. My son's friend has just been made an actuary following a degree in maths at Durham. He worked for the company during his summer vacations and they made him full time/permanent when he graduated.
Reply 10
Well personally I enjoyed GCSE history more and the A level course seems slightly more appealing too - than geography. However as I said, I don't know how I would be with doing 2 subjects in a school i've never been to before. But anyway thanks for the assurance that both the subject combinations are good.
HSethi
Thanks Gawge. I want to do one essay subject and one science subject alongside Maths and Economics -thats why History and Biology/Chemistry would be my choices in an ideal world. But Geography and Biology (chemistry clashes with Geography) wouldnt be too bad. Another alternative would be to do History at the other school which is in partnership, but doing 2 subjects at a school that I haven't been to would be quite difficult.

My school has the same kind of arrangement and I did two out of my four AS subjects at other schools - I was so nervous at first but found it works really well, you won't be the only one not from that school and everyone's welcoming etc (I made so many new friends :biggrin:). You shouldn't let this put you off a subject :yep:
Reply 12
Thats good to hear - did you drop a subject after and did only one at the other school in year 13?

Latest