The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 1
mikeA1
Pls, just want to know, if anyone decides to live offcampus for the first year, does that mean s/he student life is doomed from d begining?

No, not necesarily, because you will meet people on your course, but you won't get the full effect of a student life, like missing hall events being organised etc. But people do it every year and are fine.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Mike, i'm having to live off campus for the first yr 2, but have seen a thing on the SU website about 'hall affiliation' you contact them, and you can become a hall member as such for social activities... sounds promising! have u found somewhere to live yet?

hannah
Reply 3
yep sounds promising, thanks.
About my accomodation, found few, but still searching. Will be going to Loughborough hopefully this week/early next week to sort it out. Got any advice on what 2 look out for?
and have u found any?
I'm living off campus aswell...

Will have to see how it goes. Where are you commuting from... I'll be travelling from Leicester.

Not sure about the Hall Affiliation thing :s

hope its ok tho
Reply 5
well I'll be comming from London.
Hall affiliation ... I hope so too. Would like to be involved in some of the activities, won't u?
Reply 6
Where Did I Go?
I'm living off campus aswell...

Will have to see how it goes. Where are you commuting from... I'll be travelling from Leicester.

Not sure about the Hall Affiliation thing :s

hope its ok tho

by d way, have u gotten a place to live yet?
Reply 7
mikeA1
by d way, have u gotten a place to live yet?

hes commuting....(travelling to lboro every day)
yeah, I'll live at home, as Mike said, I'll travel.

I can't find this info on the SU page (about Hall Affiliation)... thats all I meant. Would love to get involved, just trying to find it... :frown:
yeah ive found a house thats managed by student accomodation services.... no real things to look out for i wouldnt say but i think u'll have to be quick- apparantly theres not much left thats particularily nice. didnt i read in another topic that u've got a place in halls? i think that once youll get there you'll get used to being catered. i personally would give my right arm to be in halls- you're very lucky, and you'll have the next 2 yrs atleast to cook for yourself, why not give it a chance and then if you really cant stand it then think about moving out/trying to change to self catered?

han
Reply 11
~*~Hannah~*~
yeah ive found a house thats managed by student accomodation services.... no real things to look out for i wouldnt say but i think u'll have to be quick- apparantly theres not much left thats particularily nice. didnt i read in another topic that u've got a place in halls? i think that once youll get there you'll get used to being catered. i personally would give my right arm to be in halls- you're very lucky, and you'll have the next 2 yrs atleast to cook for yourself, why not give it a chance and then if you really cant stand it then think about moving out/trying to change to self catered?

han

yeah, I would love to be in halls. I was offered a catered hall instead of a self catered, my budget ain't set on catered.
are u in a hall?
Reply 12
mikeA1
yeah, I would love to be in halls. I was offered a catered hall instead of a self catered, my budget ain't set on catered.
are u in a hall?

I seriously don't understand you...how is you're budget not set on catered???are you going to starve or something in self-catered?You've still got to pay for food.
self catering tends to end up more expensive from everything ive seen... unless obviously you eat nothing, or intend to eat out a lot as well as paying for the catered costs? most of the catered rooms i think were about 3200-3400 per yr, for my house, once ive included bills and food, it'll prob cost me about 3500 for the year, and obviously im paying for weeks that i wouldnt be there, will spend longer getting to and from campus, so therefore will have less time to work/ study/ go out, and it will probably mean i wont be able to go for a quick last minute drink in the union or something cos it'll take me 20 mins or so to get there. why not try and adapt your plans to fit with what youve been given... i wasn't intending to be stuck in a house for my first yr, and i cant imagine you're the only one who intended to be self catered and isnt- and some of those will have wanted to be self catered for dietary or religious reasons, you just have to make the most of things- thats what uni's about.
Hi Guys,

I'm glad some of you have heard about the hall affiliation scheme. It's something we've set up so that if you were not given a place in hall and had to seek private accomodation then you won't miss out on anything. I honestly believe that if you get involved with this then we can ensure you get evertything that you should out of your experience here, and hopefully won't miss out on anything.

The best thing to do is check out the details of the scheme at: http://217.206.205.82/clubs_RenderPage.asp?clubid=4844&pageid=18544
and then get straight back to me at [email protected] with your details!

Really look forward to hearing from you,

Take care,

Gab
Union President

Latest

Trending

Trending