The Student Room Group

The Alternative Economics League Table (TAELT) 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by bomberdoom
Which ones are you referring to?

..and thanks to Original poster, Paul, for the table.

wow the post you quoted was such a while back! well off the top of my head Southampton, Birmingham and Warwick but places like Warwick are insanely competitve as Paulwhy's table shows.

The table is a bit out of date by the way for example: BA Economics at Manchester is now AAB (the BSc Econ hasnt changed - its been AAB for a while now)
Original post by jabed786
wow the post you quoted was such a while back! well off the top of my head Southampton, Birmingham and Warwick but places like Warwick are insanely competitve as Paulwhy's table shows.

The table is a bit out of date by the way for example: BA Economics at Manchester is now AAB (the BSc Econ hasnt changed - its been AAB for a while now)

Southampton's AAA-AAB no? It's not the same thing is it?
What does that range indicate, that you can be made any offer, depending on resits or not?
Reply 42
Southampton's AAA-AAB no? It's not the same thing is it?
What does that range indicate, that you can be made any offer, depending on resits or not?

The AAA-AAB range indicates different entry requirements depending on the programme. The BSc Economics programme requires AAB (including A-Level Maths). This is current as of the 2011/2012 academic year.

I recently gave campus tours for the Economics Division and the head of admissions said he's 99% sure that from the 2012/2013 academic year the requirements will be AAA.
Original post by .ACS.
The AAA-AAB range indicates different entry requirements depending on the programme. The BSc Economics programme requires AAB (including A-Level Maths). This is current as of the 2011/2012 academic year.

I recently gave campus tours for the Economics Division and the head of admissions said he's 99% sure that from the 2012/2013 academic year the requirements will be AAA.

The page says that the entry requirements are AAB-AAA and wouldn't that apply to Bsc Economics as well? I think 2013 will be AAA because 2012 is already here!

Anyhow, what does AAB-AAA/AAA-AAB mean ? Does it mean that they will give whatever offers they choose to within that range? Similarly what would A*AA-AAB
(Exeter) A*AA-ABB (Bristol) mean as well?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 44
The page says that the entry requirements are AAB-AAA and wouldn't that apply to Bsc Economics as well? I think 2013 will be AAA because 2012 is already here!

Anyhow, what does AAB-AAA/AAA-AAB mean ? Does it mean that they will give whatever offers they choose to within that range? Similarly what would A*AA-AAB
(Exeter) A*AA-ABB (Bristol) mean as well?

According to UCAS, for 2011/2012 the entry requirements are AAB. The AAA-AAB entry requirements take into account all programmes within the Economics Division, and the BSc Economics with Actuarial Science course has entry requirements AAA.

If for a specific course, say BSc Economics, you have a range of entry requirements, it means they'll ask you for anything in that range. A*AA-AAB means they could ask for A*AA, AAA, or AAB.
Reply 45
I was planning on making Manchester my first choice, Birmingham my 2nd and Sheffield my 3rd (BSc in Economics). I know this is something you've compiled and it could be argued that you may not have enough information or whatever. (Keep reading, as obtuse as I may be I am not trying to say that this has no validity).

However, from what I see you've putten quite some time into this, and you must clearly know your stuff (it just doesn't seem plausible that if you weren't interested in this or didn't know enough you would still spend so much time researching it and putting it together); so if I may ask for a personal opinion, out of the three options that I've selected, would you change the order to Birmingham-Manchester-Sheffield (in accordance to your table)?

Even if you can't reply, thanks for the tables, it's a great insight.

That being said; can anyone throw me a bone here? :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by triloko
I was planning on making Manchester my first choice, Birmingham my 2nd and Sheffield my 3rd (BSc in Economics). I know this is something you've compiled and it could be argued that you may not have enough information or whatever. (Keep reading, as obtuse as I may be I am not trying to say that this has no validity).

However, from what I see you've putten quite some time into this, and you must clearly know your stuff (it just doesn't seem plausible that if you weren't interested in this or didn't know enough you would still spend so much time researching it and putting it together); so if I may ask for a personal opinion, out of the three options that I've selected, would you change the order to Birmingham-Manchester-Sheffield (in accordance to your table)?

Even if you can't reply, thanks for the tables, it's a great insight.

That being said; can anyone throw me a bone here? :biggrin:

This table is compiled to show the relative the competitiveness of gaining an offer from the institutions, not the quality of the tuition received.
Reply 47
Original post by tateco
This table is compiled to show the relative the competitiveness of gaining an offer from the institutions, not the quality of the tuition received.

Oh, right. My mistake. I misunderstood the whole thing, I just didn't think that newspaper tables would rank universities according to how hard it was to get in, so I just assumed that it was (as well as a topic explaining how competitive unis are) also an alternative to the normal ranking tables but focused on economics!

Thanks for the explanation
Reply 48
Original post by triloko
Oh, right. My mistake. I misunderstood the whole thing, I just didn't think that newspaper tables would rank universities according to how hard it was to get in, so I just assumed that it was (as well as a topic explaining how competitive unis are) also an alternative to the normal ranking tables but focused on economics!

Thanks for the explanation

Newspaper university rankings take into account various things but are primarily focused on ordering them according to how 'good' they are as a whole. The TAELT is supposed to help you choose a good set of universities to apply to without being too unrealistic. But competitiveness of the course strongly correlates with how good the course is so I'd say it would be pretty accurate at determining the better universities too (Within the groups anyway, e.g. RRC are top 5, but the order may vary within the group)
Reply 49
As an admissions officer for the Economics course at Warwick, I feel I should point out that we are not "looking for 9 A* GCSE's"!

Sure, having better GCSE results looks better on the application, and it's a competitive course, but we're certainly not expecting all our applicants to have incredibly high numbers of A*'s.

We're working on finalising our offer for the 2012 round currently, so I'm happy to feedback with some info on that when it's done. I'll also provide some info on the 2011 application round.
Original post by lovsn
As an admissions officer for the Economics course at Warwick, I feel I should point out that we are not "looking for 9 A* GCSE's"!

Sure, having better GCSE results looks better on the application, and it's a competitive course, but we're certainly not expecting all our applicants to have incredibly high numbers of A*'s.

We're working on finalising our offer for the 2012 round currently, so I'm happy to feedback with some info on that when it's done. I'll also provide some info on the 2011 application round.

Thanks, will be interesting to hear :smile:
Does anyone know what the entry requirements for Masters at LSE would be?
Reply 52
Original post by Prepare-Yourself
Does anyone know what the entry requirements for Masters at LSE would be?

There are two masters courses in the economics department.

MSc Econ - a first class degree in an economics (or related) field.
MSc EME - a first class degree with excellent marks in your maths/econometric modules.

The latter is a much better and tougher course. The regular MSc is still competitive but not to the level of EME.
Original post by Overmars
There are two masters courses in the economics department.

MSc Econ - a first class degree in an economics (or related) field.
MSc EME - a first class degree with excellent marks in your maths/econometric modules.

The latter is a much better and tougher course. The regular MSc is still competitive but not to the level of EME.

Okay thanks, do you think a 1st or 2:1 from York in Economics and Econmetrics will be enough for me to do this?
Reply 54
Original post by Prepare-Yourself
Okay thanks, do you think a 1st or 2:1 from York in Economics and Econmetrics will be enough for me to do this?

The minimum entry requirement is a first. So a 2:1 is not enough; it needs to be a first. Even then, all the other aspects of your application need to be up to scratch - but they usually fall in line when you have the grades. (e.g. you'll get a top reference if you're one of the best in your class).

All in all, aim to finish within the top few people in your graduating class and your chances will be good. A good tip when going for masters/phd applications is to talk to your tutors/lecturers -- ask them what places they think you should apply and where they would feel comfortable writing a strong letter of recommendation. If possible, get a recommendation from the top econ professor at your uni (if you have taken a class under him)...but above all, make sure they know who you are.
Original post by Overmars
The minimum entry requirement is a first. So a 2:1 is not enough; it needs to be a first. Even then, all the other aspects of your application need to be up to scratch - but they usually fall in line when you have the grades. (e.g. you'll get a top reference if you're one of the best in your class).

All in all, aim to finish within the top few people in your graduating class and your chances will be good. A good tip when going for masters/phd applications is to talk to your tutors/lecturers -- ask them what places they think you should apply and where they would feel comfortable writing a strong letter of recommendation. If possible, get a recommendation from the top econ professor at your uni (if you have taken a class under him)...but above all, make sure they know who you are.

Okay thanks for that.
Original post by Paulwhy
As Lancaster and Queen Mary were in Clearing, they are both going to get relegated. Any other suggestions?

Is Royal Holloway always in clearing?

They're my firm but don't think I'll get ABB, ABC at best I think I can get.
Reply 57
I have an offer for Economics from Leeds Met, but have bet my offer significantly.

I would like to know which universities are likely to be in clearing and accept 12 distinctions, 48 merits from an Access To Business and IT course.
Reply 58
Thanks for ths useful thread "Paul Whereeveryouare"

:biggrin:
Reply 59
anyone know when this will be updated for 2012?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending