The Student Room Group

The Alternative Economics League Table (TAELT) 2011

Scroll to see replies

Err... it won't.
Will you update this for people applying to start Uni in 2012?
Reply 62
Please update!
Reply 63
Original post by LukeWz
Please update!

Paulwhy has left us. :frown: And I don't think any of the other capable people on this forum have the time to really take on this mammoth task.
Reply 64
In my view, the so called TAELT was an inaccurate and poorly researched piece.

I actually attended one of those courses he called ' good (ie. quantitative ) and relatively easy to get in. ' It turned out to be a really badly run course and I promptly rejected them after a short while.
Reply 65
Original post by Zenomorph
In my view, the so called TAELT was an inaccurate and poorly researched piece.

I actually attended one of those courses he called ' good (ie. quantitative ) and relatively easy to get in. ' It turned out to be a really badly run course and I promptly rejected them after a short while.

The TAELT was simply to rank universities in terms of competitiveness of getting in. I hardly see how it was inaccurate or poorly researched. Outdated by now, maybe, but not overly so.

Also, out of interest, which course was so bad in your eyes? How did you judge it on being so compared to elsewhere?
Reply 66
Original post by .ACS.
The TAELT was simply to rank universities in terms of competitiveness of getting in. I hardly see how it was inaccurate or poorly researched. Outdated by now, maybe, but not overly so.

Also, out of interest, which course was so bad in your eyes? How did you judge it on being so compared to elsewhere?

Well therein lies the problem, competitiveness = popularity which does not = good.

Heroin and crack are very popular but very few would say it's good.

When the admissions UCAS points are upped by some 20 - 70 points within a couple of years, just means more hyped up naive kids applying, it says nothing about quality.

The course and the university itself shall remain anonymous as I have learnt that they are part of a group of ' protected ' universities here, any criticisms result in auto warnings. So thanks but no thanks, safe to say that they have not done as well as they would have hoped in the net age and are trying to draw in as many suckers as possible, I am not one of them.

It was badly organised, the paraphernalia had a cheap, tacky look to it, past papers were scanned with Lecturers handwritten notes on it, can't even be bothered to digi scan them.

Lectures were extremely crowded, many lecturers were unjustifiably arrogant, were deliberately bad at explanations, had little or no RW experience but walked around like they were ex head of economics at Morgan Stanley.

There was very little extra support and the dept. did not seem interested, they only seem to view student as suckers. Well they have learnt.
The maths was just chucked in to make it look cool without any RW application or integration into the course.

A university that thinks wrongly that it is achieving things, no you are not.
Original post by Zenomorph

The course and the university itself shall remain anonymous as I have learnt that they are part of a group of ' protected ' universities here, any criticisms result in auto warnings. So thanks but no thanks, safe to say that they have not done as well as they would have hoped in the net age and are trying to draw in as many suckers as possible, I am not one of them.

Pretty sure you're allowed to voice your opinions here, pretty sure that's one of the main purposes of this forum...
Excellent guide, must've taken FOREVER.
How do i download the TAELT 2011? I'm having great difficulty finding the link. Any help would be very much appreciated. Ps I'm new to this site.

Thanks
Reply 70
Original post by HabiboorRahman
How do i download the TAELT 2011? I'm having great difficulty finding the link. Any help would be very much appreciated. Ps I'm new to this site.

Thanks

There isn't a link; the TAELT 2011 is the one posted on the first page, it's just been edited from the 2010 one.
Reply 71
which is better for economics, Nottingham or Edinburgh?
Reply 72
Original post by 45lala
which is better for economics, Nottingham or Edinburgh?

Nottingham.
Reply 73
Thanks! Just firmed Nottingham :smile:
Reply 74
Any views on Cambridge vs LSE straight Economics?
Offers from both and cannot decide! (The offers are essentially the same)
Cam seems to have reputation and supervision system, where as LSE is said to have the
best Econ course and the obvious benefits of London and the strong careers focus.
Any input would be appreciated!
Original post by yashg
Cam seems to have reputation and supervision system, where as LSE is said to have the
best Econ course and the obvious benefits of London and the strong careers focus.

If they are that close, look at the non-pecuniary factors (woo, managed to use it in speech! kinda). Social aspects, learning environment, accommodation. I don't think anyone should make their decision on what someone on a forum says. That said, I'd totally go for Cambridge ^_^
Reply 76
Original post by Pro Crastination
If they are that close, look at the non-pecuniary factors (woo, managed to use it in speech! kinda). Social aspects, learning environment, accommodation. I don't think anyone should make their decision on what someone on a forum says. That said, I'd totally go for Cambridge ^_^

Yes, I am taking these factors into account, it just seems odd they are considered so close, but are very different institutions!
What I am struggling to understand is that most people have said the same as yourself, that they would go to Cambridge - but the LSE Bsc Econ course is ranked far higher, 3rd compared to 10th, in the world!
So in spite of this, why would you totally go to Cambridge? :smile:
The Econ faculty at Cambridge is one of it's lowest ranked departments, so Cam's world ranking may be so high due to other faculties which would be irrelevant to my degree!
Original post by yashg
Yes, I am taking these factors into account, it just seems odd they are considered so close, but are very different institutions!
What I am struggling to understand is that most people have said the same as yourself, that they would go to Cambridge - but the LSE Bsc Econ course is ranked far higher, 3rd compared to 10th, in the world!
So in spite of this, why would you totally go to Cambridge? :smile:
The Econ faculty at Cambridge is one of it's lowest ranked departments, so Cam's world ranking may be so high due to other faculties which would be irrelevant to my degree!

I would prefer to have a degree from Cambridge over LSE. However, if you were going to remain within academia, maybe LSE would be the better option. I think if you are looking to get into something financy they are both really good, so you won't need to worry about going to one or the other.

Again, I am by no means an authority on this.
Nottingham or Exeter?
Original post by yashg

Go Cambridge. If later you find it is not for you, apply for transfer to LSE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending