The Student Room Group

Am I being unreasonable?

I've left Sixth Form with only 180 UCAS points, and to have a decent change of getting into a university I'll need more. However, my local college only offer two year National Diploma courses, and I absolutely do not want to do another two years of level 3 education.

I would be happy about doing another year, but that is not an option, so the only other option is to pack in education and get a job. My parents are pissed off about this idea and my dad keeps telling me to "at least sign on the dole if you're gonna be a lay about".

I've endured 8 years of education because I've been put back a year once, and another two years the same seems unbearable. A year max, but no where around here does any one year Level 3 courses.
I'm not sure even McDonalds will employ someone with 180 UCAS points hahaha. Sucks to be you. Lol 180 - that's really bloody awful.
Ooh my 1000th post!
well how important to you is it that you go to university?

what is 180 points in grades?
Reply 3
Time Tourist
well how important to you is it that you go to university?

what is 180 points in grades?

BC, buggered up Biology and got a U.
ak56
BC, buggered up Biology and got a U.

well how much do you want to go to university?

I'd say unless it really was that important to you - go into work - you'll be much better off... financially in terms of getting your independence, and in all probability career wise. You've got your a levels and okay their not great but not a disaster either... your young so you time on your side...so you'll be fine going into work, and you got a head start ahead of all the people that go to crap unis and get a third or a 2:2 in some non-subject which aren't really worth the paper their written on.
Reply 5
Time Tourist
well how much do you want to go to university?

I'd say unless it really was that important to you - go into work - you'll be much better off... financially in terms of getting your independence, and in all probability career wise. You've got your a levels and okay their not great but not a disaster either... your young so you time on your side...so you'll be fine going into work, and you got a head start ahead of all the people that go to crap unis and get a third or a 2:2 in some non-subject which aren't really worth the paper their written on.

Well, I don't have any huge goal to go to university at all costs, it ultimately comes down to what is the best way to secure a decent paying job. At this point I'm leaning more towards the university route as most decent paying jobs seem to want a degree of some sort.

I'd happily go the job route if it was going to lead somewhere, but the problem is any job these days which is going to lead to decent pay wants a degree, unless you're lucky enough to get through Air Traffic Control selection or something, which is rediculously competitive and in reality I'm probably going to be up against candidates with As in A Level Physics and Maths even though in theory they only want 5 GCSE A-Cs. But it seems the only jobs I can get without either very good A Levels or a degree is stacking shelves or laying bricks, neither of which are particularly good money.
ak56
Well, I don't have any huge goal to go to university at all costs, it ultimately comes down to what is the best way to secure a decent paying job. At this point I'm leaning more towards the university route as most decent paying jobs seem to want a degree of some sort.

I'd happily go the job route if it was going to lead somewhere, but the problem is any job these days which is going to lead to decent pay wants a degree, unless you're lucky enough to get through Air Traffic Control selection or something, which is rediculously competitive and in reality I'm probably going to be up against candidates with As in A Level Physics and Maths even though in theory they only want 5 GCSE A-Cs. But it seems the only jobs I can get without either very good A Levels or a degree is stacking shelves or laying bricks, neither of which are particularly good money.

Well it depends - if you can get in with a good company, and you're good, then its no problem. And if university is a big goal you can always do it part time if your dedicated.

Latest