The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Roommate Adviece

I was chatting to a friend of mine from highschool who's in the states this morning, and her advice to me about roomies (since she started a year ago) was that i shouldn't develop a close friendship with them, cause it would change the way we live together, and if we have a fallout, it would be that much worse. she said we should set ground rules (as awkward as that may seem) from the beginning and just respect eachother's space, what do you guys think about that? good advice or not?
Reply 1
Errrm... it's tricky. :hmmmm2:

I wouldn't suddenly become "bestest pals ever!" with the people I happen to share a flat with,
since there are a LOT of other people you're yet to meet and you may change your mind quickly.

I take your point in saying that bonding may make "fallouts" difficult, and you won't want to
stress about something because it'd suddenly make you look intolerant, but I wouldn't alienate
them either just to make relations as 'simple' (ie. impersonal) as possible.

Your friend is right, to a degree-
Just lay down some ground rules ("Don't nick my food", "Music turned down after 12" etc)
and after that be friends with them as much or as little as feels natural. You're all in it together
though, so nothing wrong with making an effort! You might end up cooking for one another every so often. ^_^

Hope that helps :wink:
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
it does, thanks
I wouldn't lay any rules down until term starts! In fact, I don't think anyone in our flat did any of that. The Residential Advisers come round and do that sort of thing for you, it saves you having to look like an arsehole straight away!
Reply 4
Elementalism
The Residential Advisers come round and do that sort of thing for you, it saves you having to look like an arsehole straight away!

Point taken. :p:
Reply 5
asmodexx
I was chatting to a friend of mine from highschool who's in the states this morning, and her advice to me about roomies (since she started a year ago) was that i shouldn't develop a close friendship with them, cause it would change the way we live together, and if we have a fallout, it would be that much worse. she said we should set ground rules (as awkward as that may seem) from the beginning and just respect eachother's space, what do you guys think about that? good advice or not?

i think thats abit stupid but i can understand what your mate means.

bottom line, if ur living with someone who you think is cool...make friends with them regardless
Reply 6
I don't think you would be bestest buddies so early on anyway. Close friendship has to grow, and other such malarky.
Reply 7
dogtanian
I don't think you would be bestest buddies so early on anyway. Close friendship has to grow, and other such malarky.

yeah but on your first nights you will make friends with them anyway...who wants to go clubbing on their own haha
Reply 8
Absolutely, but the OP said something about getting close with flatmates would cause problems if you fall out.

That could well be the case, but I don't think you'd even begin to be close friends so early on. More drinking buddies :smile:
Reply 9
dogtanian
Absolutely, but the OP said something about getting close with flatmates would cause problems if you fall out.

That could well be the case, but I don't think you'd even begin to be close friends so early on. More drinking buddies :smile:

eeeexactly, i just ghope the people on my course arnt all losers....sure they wont be
Reply 10
thanks for all your advice
Reply 11
respecting the others space and things.

...and if someone takes your stuff or pisses you of in any other way the best thing to do is openly talk about it.

flatmates and roomates are like family, you cant choose 'em, you like some, you cant stand others, but for the time being you have no choice. so its best to just respect.

*corny song plays in background*
Reply 12
lol! no, it's good. that was another thing my friend had said, she told me to talk about it if anything was annoying me or anything, cause if i kept it all in, it would just get worse and i'd prob. end up hating the roommate.
Reply 13
"is that my underwear you're wearing?"

i swear it happens sometimes :rolleyes:
Reply 14
haha! that would be so funny. i'm kinda a paranoid person, and i'm sharing a room with a cousin now, so if i misplace anything, i automatically assume he stole it, but then i find it like a day later. i need to get more organized so i don't go accusing my roomie of stealing stuff, not that i would... i'd just slyly ask if they saw it lying around or something...

Latest

Trending

Trending