The Student Room Group

5 A levels too hard?

I recently had my induction day at my sixth form college which I am attending in September. My tutor advised me to take 5 a levels but I'm not sure if I will be able to cope with the amount of work.

The A levels I have decided to do are: English literature, Psychology, Sociology, Maths (Use of) and Media

I recently got my GCSE results; I got 4A's, 5B's and 2C's

How hard work is taking 5 A levels? And do you think the A levels I have chosen will be too hard for someone of my ability?

Many thanks :smile:!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just do four, you wont gain any significant advantage and almost undoubtedly you'll come out with higher results. Your GCSE's are a indication that you are clever but can only deal with a moderate workload. Good luck with your a levels.
Reply 2
.:Doctor:.
Just do four, you wont gain any significant advantage and almost undoubtedly you'll come out with higher results. Your GCSE's are a indication that you are clever but can only deal with a moderate workload. Good luck with your a levels.

Agree with this, you only need to do 4/5 A-levels if you need to really stand out because you want to apply for a competitive course like medicine. Even then 4 is enough.
sarah_xoxo
I recently had my induction day at my sixth form college which I am attending in September. My tutor advised me to take 5 a levels but I'm not sure if I will be able to cope with the amount of work.

The A levels I have decided to do are: English literature, Psychology, Sociology, Maths (Use of) and Media

How hard work is taking 5 A levels? And do you think the A levels I have chosen will be too hard for someone of my ability?

Drop Media.

If you can drop Psychology and/or Sociology and replace it with a "better" A-level.

Ditch Use of Maths with A-level Maths (i.e. the "proper" Maths).

Do 4 and do them well.
Reply 4
I know I haven't chosen very "respected" A levels, but I really enjoy media at GCSE and I wanted to choose something new so chose both sociology and psychology which seem quite interesting.
The only reason I chose the use of maths was because I've heard it is a HUGE jump from GCSE to A level and I don't think I would be able to handle all the work.
I got an A at GCSE for maths, do you think I would be capable of doing A level maths if i drop sociology?
Reply 5
The last three aren't real A Levels. Even Psychology is questionable.

There is never any reason for someone to be doing an A Level in 'Media' (urgh). Drop that **** now.
Pointless.

You are only gunna take 3 next year. Waste of time, concentrate on 4.

GCSEs suggest you aren't extremly out of this world smart, just stick to the normal stuff.
Reply 7
.:Doctor:.

Agreed, there's no point in doing 5. I started off with 5 and realized I was an idiot as, personally, I didn't need that 5th one. Was it a lot harder than 4? Not really because the 5th one was Spanish which is piss easy, but it was still extra work which I really didn't want to do... had family problems going on and coupled with maths, phys, chem and bio it was plenty for me (with those 4 A-levels I got offers from good unis, you won't miss out by not taking 5). :smile:
Reply 8
I'm having the same issue, I stupidly signed up to do 5 in the spur of the moment and now can't decide what to do!
I want to do Maths, Biology, Geography, Psychology and then photography as i'm really interested in it but know it won't help me at uni stages...
and now i really can't decide as i guess it is better to get really good in 4 than rubbish in 5 As levels?
_Miranda_
I'm having the same issue, I stupidly signed up to do 5 in the spur of the moment and now can't decide what to do!
I want to do Maths, Biology, Geography, Psychology and then photography as i'm really interested in it but know it won't help me at uni stages...
and now i really can't decide as i guess it is better to get really good in 4 than rubbish in 5 As levels?

Personally, I'd drop photography.. if you're interested in it, why not join a club of some sort rather then doing an a level?
Reply 10
sarah_xoxo
I know I haven't chosen very "respected" A levels, but I really enjoy media at GCSE and I wanted to choose something new so chose both sociology and psychology which seem quite interesting.
The only reason I chose the use of maths was because I've heard it is a HUGE jump from GCSE to A level and I don't think I would be able to handle all the work.
I got an A at GCSE for maths, do you think I would be capable of doing A level maths if i drop sociology?

theyre your A-levels so its up to you what you chose
you could do maths with an A, its a big jump in terms of the maths but the workload doesnt increace more than in other subjects, there's about 3 new concepts and if you can understand them then its just applying them to loads of situations
and 5 ASs is fine
What is use of Maths? Just do the real thing. I don't see the point in doing both Socio and Psych. Do you want to go to universty? If you do what do you want to do?
Reply 12
Better three real A-Levels than those five. A-Level maths is actually quite easy - look that **** up, around 20% got A*s in it this year for god's sake - and a doable jump from GCSE if you were vaguely competent at it. Psych, Socio and Media are all doss subjects; Media doesn't even have a good pass rate, sort of defeating the purpose. Replace it with English lang if you're so keen on that kinda stuff. If your school won't let you do so, pick at least one more real subject...Physics's the easiest science, a language, history, even drama...anything but that crap.

And Miranda, if you like photography then do it in your spare time would be my advice. Things have a way of becoming less and less attractive the more compulsory they become.
Reply 13
sarah_xoxo

Yh way toooo hard,..oi what you doing?>!! LOL...nah ...good luck ..all bless with it...dont take too much out of peoples opinions...i learnt that quite* recently,,.
sarah_xoxo

Well, I'm about to start my A2 year and hope to carry on with 5... well, its 4 really- compulsory general studies which requires NO work because it's..well, general studies lol :rolleyes:

Use of Maths doesn't sound like a good idea to me.. I'd take the proper maths a level if I were you. The jump isn't at all big for the first unit (C1) and maths always looks good :p:

I'd advise against doing 5 though, if you enjoy media then maybe drop sociology..Or if you don't want to do proper maths, then drop the use of maths as it seems a bit pointless

But hey, if you /really/ think you can handle the workload then go for it :smile:
Take four. 5 won't be of use.
Anyways , you'll be dropping one next year in A2 :smile:

Good luck!
Reply 16
sarah_xoxo

What did you earn in GCSE Maths an A, B, or C? How good are you Maths?

Just for everyones interest
http://www.fsmq.org/news/gce-a-level-in-use-of-mathematics-plans-for-the-pilot,934,NS.html
http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-9361-9362-W-SP-09.PDF
What on earth is wrong with Psychology?? Don't you people know that it actually has a fair amount of Biology in it and isn't about running around mindlessly analysing each other?
And Sociology is the Psychology of social groups... it's not completely pointless.

Psychology serves it's part in society

/rant :mad:
Reply 18
toxik_apple
What on earth is wrong with Psychology?? Don't you people know that it actually has a fair amount of Biology in it and isn't about running around mindlessly analysing each other?
And Sociology is the Psychology of social groups... it's not completely pointless.

Psychology and sociology are both valuable subjects that are worth studying. At university.

Doing an A Level in them is pointless and counter-productive.
Reply 19
5 AS Levels is usually a bad idea for even those with the best GCSE results. You have recieved good GCSE results, but nothing spectacular, so doing 5 AS Levels would just be an unnecessary work load with no real gain.

A lot depends on your targets/goals. If you want to get into a good University, then you probably don't have too much of a chance with those A Level choices. However if you don't plan on going to University, or you aren't too fussed about getting into a good University then it is good that you have chosen subjects which you think you will enjoy and excel in.

English Lit and Pshycology are good choices. Maybe you should replace Sociology with English Language? It sounds like the type of subject that you would enjoy. Also, either replace Use of Maths with Maths A Level or stick with media and don't take it further than AS. If you did that, those are some really good A Level choices which if you do well in, you could get into most top Universities.

Quick Reply

Latest