The Student Room Group

does racism exist in the universities of uk?

Scroll to see replies

I don't think people are actively being racist, but people of the same cultures/religions/backgrounds tend to spend time together because they have more in common. I'm not in the slightest bit racist, but the majority of my friends are white. In the same way I don't think the large group of muslims in my school are racist towards non-muslims, they just get on well with eachother because they have a lot in common. Noone has to stick to these groups though, and other than the few actually racist people out there, I doubt anyone's looking at the colour of people's skin when making friends.
fire2burn
Whilst I was at York uni borrowing some of their books for my dissertation I met a student who was quite clearly a racist. He tried to pin the blame on the fact that he'd served in the navy before joining university however it was clear that it wasn't just jokey humour the kind you get on South Park. He was genuinely quite a nasty person.

That said, such people tend to be a very small minority and are easily ignored.

Who gives a rats *ss.Such people act as if we should owe them gratitude for having served in this or that.I couldn't give a **it even if he was a space cadet.Conscription was abolished and no one is forced to join up any more.
AClockworkOrange
not all black girls are like that so your not different or special and it doesn't make your behaviour 'white' :facepalm2:

Yes I know that not all black girls are like that, but the stereotypical black girl is. I act like a stereotypical white person, not a stereotypical black person.
Reply 63
Anita B. Studin
I'm Nepalese and I find it uncomfortable when hanging around with tooo many Nepalese people. I only have around 2 close Nepalese friends, the rest are indian, black, chinese, muslims etc.

I can't get over how awesome your nickname is!
Reply 64
vol de mort.
All right, calm down. I meant I act like a stereotypical white British person, not a stereotypical black person.

I know that's what you meant, that’s why I made the point I did :facepalm:

I’m not even angry, people like just embarrass me. But whatever it's your life.
Reply 65
purpleberry
I don't think of race when I'm making friends, but typically people tend to stick with people of their own race. It's not racism, people just don't want to mix.

This is a very obvious trait of being human. It's territorial we all do this, anyone who claims they don't is a liar. I for one find that I am friends mainly with white people, I have nothing against black people at all, but I think it's something we all do subconsciously.

I have noticed however I find an attractiveness towards other nationalities and cultures i.e. middle-eastern. But overall my friends are usually white English/British
YannTouchable
So instead you act like the stereotypical white girl.
You still don't get it, excuse my harsh lexis but you're socially retarded, or, an idiot.

What's so idiotic about what I'm saying? I'm a black girl, and I act like a stereotypical white girl, not a stereotypical black girl. It's not that hard to understand.
Reply 67
Mastermind007
Lol yaay! I love your username! Not so much into 2ne1 but i do love Shinee. Favourite girl group would have to be SNSD lol.
Yeah i guess the cultural differences do get in the way if you let them. People probably find it easier as well to mingle with their own race as they have more in common.

:eek: whats wrong with 2ne1 they're just the best girl group! they inspire me what to wear without looking slutty *cough* SNSD *cough* lol jokes!! don't hurt me!
Reply 68
vol de mort.
What's so idiotic about what I'm saying? I'm a black girl, and I act like a stereotypical white girl, not a stereotypical black girl. It's not that hard to understand.

You don't understand that you're appropriating negative connotations and racial views when you use 'stereotypical black girl' to mean 'all ghetto'.
JmJtr
I know that's what you meant, that’s why I made the point I did :facepalm:

I’m not even angry, people like just embarrass me. But whatever it's your life.

Yep, my life :smile:
YannTouchable
I can assure you it's really not though, I'm not drawn to anything at all, I can't believe there's even an element of "nature" to racial preferism
I'm black
My mother is French/Indo-Mauritian
My father is central african
my sisters are mulattoes
My half brother is white and so is my step dad.
My exes are Jewish, Tanzanian and Bengali.

OF COURSE there are stereotypes and of course a LOT of people live BY those stereotypes, but never have I preferred a certain ethnic group, with the excuseo of "comfort".
There is no comfortable race, a cool dude is a cool dude, a butthole is a butthole.

ahh but you are an exception that you have a hugely rich and diverse lineage/ethnic makeup.

take the regualar 2.4 family with the white picket fence.

They are white of british if not european descent. They may not be "racist" as we understand the word but they wouldnt go out of thier way to ingratiate themselves with the famly of nigerian assylum seekers down the road. Thier children will grow up with whites and as such will identify with whites and will naturally gravitate toward whites.

Now take the same situation and place within an Asian family, an ethnic group that is even more close knit in its community and less likely to mix with others. The same will happen.

It seems your looking for a problem where none exists.
vol de mort.

the stereotypes are idiotic "it'sh nawt that hard to undershtand?!"
But WHY THE STEREOTYPES kid WHY?
why the hell do you model your behaviour after themI bet you read Closer.
Man, get off TSR. SECURITY, SECURITYY :woo:
silverbolt
ahh but you are an exception that you have a hugely rich and diverse lineage/ethnic makeup.

take the regualar 2.4 family with the white picket fence.

They are white of british if not european descent. They may not be "racist" as we understand the word but they wouldnt go out of thier way to ingratiate themselves with the famly of nigerian assylum seekers down the road. Thier children will grow up with whites and as such will identify with whites and will naturally gravitate toward whites.

Now take the same situation and place within an Asian family, an ethnic group that is even more close knit in its community and less likely to mix with others. The same will happen.

It seems your looking for a problem where none exists.

*sigh* I guess you're right, mean old world :cry2:
Reply 73
vol de mort.

:banghead:
YannTouchable
the stereotypes are idiotic "it'sh nawt that hard to undershtand?!"
But WHY THE STEREOTYPES kid WHY?
why the hell do you model your behaviour after themI bet you read Closer.
Man, get off TSR. SECURITY, SECURITYY :woo:

I'm just telling the truth. That's what the stereotype of black girls is. I'm aware that there are many black girls who don't act like that, but unfortunately that's how we are represented in the media.
alaroche
You don't understand that you're appropriating negative connotations and racial views when you use 'stereotypical black girl' to mean 'all ghetto'.

the sterotypical view of black people is ghetto though
SHINee2ne1
:eek: whats wrong with 2ne1 they're just the best girl group! they inspire me what to wear without looking slutty *cough* SNSD *cough* lol jokes!! don't hurt me!

LOL nothing wrong with them i just never got into their music much. I do love "lollipop" song they did with Big Bang...but that's also because i love Big Bang haha! SNSD are so cute and pretty!! I do agree sometimes they try to be cute and it comes off as slutty. But still I like them :biggrin:
Reply 77
silverbolt
the sterotypical view of black people is ghetto though

/thread
vol de mort.
I'm just telling the truth. That's what the stereotype of black girls is. I'm aware that there are many black girls who don't act like that, but unfortunately that's how we are represented in the media.

but YOU of all people should KNOW better, how the hell can you BASE you SOCIAL view on "the media".

Besides MY media shows Living Colour, The Boondocks, The Faceless, Alice In Chains, Suffocation, God Forbid and so many f-ing more.
you're just a media brainwashed, stereotype worshipping, inside out wigger that hasn't half a clue what it's like to be a human.

I **** on your extremism, I hope you know this. I **** on it. Just because you do not follow one stereotype doesn't justify following another.
There's this UNIVERSE called being YOURSELF, escaping AAALLL stereotypes in favour of integrity, intelligence and reason.

I hope to God you're trolling. stereotypes, you DISGUST me.

PLUS my hot chocolate mug's empty, ARRGH FML GAH.
MUUUUUM....
UnWise
I can't get over how awesome your nickname is!

Thank you, not a lot of people get it though :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending