The Student Room Group

##IMPORTANT## - Anybody catch sight of fireball in the sky in SOUTH London, England..

.....LAST NIGHT (EARLY EVENING) 5/6 O'CLOCK, THURSDAY 26TH AUGUST?????:eek: :eek:

It was somewhere around the Croydon/Norwood area.

At first it looked like a crashing small plane, but then a closer look revealed it to be similar to a meteorite or some object from space - which must have been much larger before of course burning into smaller object after hitting our atmosphere.

It left a long smoke trail in the sky which quickly vanished due to the poor weather and rainy clouds - thus, one would have had to be attentive and alert.

(At one point, it looked like a missile, but we quickly ruled that out because its flight pattern was erratic.)

So, did anybody happen to see it???:confused: :confused:

I don't think it was an alien aircraft because space agencies and Earth defences would have already intercepted it - but how come nobody seems to have said anything about it??

Surely, national space agencies should have been aware, yet the media is silent on the matter.

Or worse, could it have been some secret military test gone wrong??

I am no conspiracy theorist, but I am curious as to what occurred.:yep:

So, once again who saw this and do you have any information (real information, that is)??:confused:

Scroll to see replies

You wern't smoking the wacky backy was you as I never spotted anything
Reply 2
I saw something like this a few weeks ago.... it was so bright it lit up my room. I live in sutton (very close to croydon)
ShadowConspiracy
You wern't smoking the wacky backy was you as I never spotted anything

Ah, a funny one...

No, I was not under the influence of narcotics, or tobacco or alcoholic beverages for that matter...

Were you even in South London at the time, hm??

(Also, three others and I witnessed this peculiar and unreported phenomenon, so I cannot have been dishonest.):yep:
Reply 4
I'll check my garden... :biggrin:
Reply 5
Didn't see anything but watching this thread should give me a few giggles!
Reply 6
Last night was Thursday...
...space agencies and Earth defences would have already intercepted it...

What era do you live in?
Bac009
I saw something like this a few weeks ago.... it was so bright it lit up my room. I live in sutton (very close to croydon)

Really??

My goodness!

I do not understand why we are not informed about these things.

Doesn't Britain have an alert and aware space agency?

Apparently, many things like this happen in the US and some actually hit people or partially destroy buildings!

However, I'm not so sure that what we saw was a meteorite....its flight trail was extremely slow and quite erratic...

It was so slow that we managed to catch sight of it and then have to run away from it to catch more glimpses of it as it flew behind a tall building....
Reply 9
Meteorites fall down all the time all around the world. It's no big deal.
waynethomas
Didn't see anything but watching this thread should give me a few giggles!

Hm.....

Except I am deadly serious...

I was not the only witness, thus I am not dishonest..:yep:
Sephrenia
Last night was Thursday...

Corrected...:smile:
Last weekend there was meteor showers that were supposed to be visible from North Scotland. Im from North England and saw 4 alone so the idea of you seeing one further south and few days later is plausible.
It Was Teh Illuminati. Run For Your Lifes!!!11!!!111
K the Failure
...space agencies and Earth defences would have already intercepted it...

What era do you live in?

Are you insinuating that I am historical or futuristic....?
Pandabär
I'll check my garden... :biggrin:

Ha...

No, aren't you in Germany..?
Sovr'gnChancellor£
Hm.....

Except I am deadly serious...

I was not the only witness, thus I am not dishonest..:yep:

I meant with people winding you up *looks out for all the sarcastic comments*
Reply 17
Sovr'gnChancellor£
Really??

My goodness!

I do not understand why we are not informed about these things.

Doesn't Britain have an alert and aware space agency?

Apparently, many things like this happen in the US and some actually hit people or partially destroy buildings!

However, I'm not so sure that what we saw was a meteorite....its flight trail was extremely slow and quite erratic...

It was so slow that we managed to catch sight of it and then have to run away from it to catch more glimpses of it as it flew behind a tall building....

It was further away from you and higher up in the atmosphere than it appeared so it seemed to move slowly and its flight path was eratic because meteorites are not perfectly streamlined and are not spherical so will adopt an eratic path.
colourfield
Last weekend there was meteor showers that were supposed to be visible from North Scotland. Im from North England and saw 4 alone so the idea of you seeing one further south and few days later is plausible.

Exactly!

So I am not a liar, people!

But what are the flight paths of meteorites??
Reply 19
I saw it but I'm in Yorkshire lol :s-smilie: wondered what the hell it was.

Latest