The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
it was superman
Sovr'gnChancellor£
Really??

My goodness!

I do not understand why we are not informed about these things.

Doesn't Britain have an alert and aware space agency?

Apparently, many things like this happen in the US and some actually hit people or partially destroy buildings!

However, I'm not so sure that what we saw was a meteorite....its flight trail was extremely slow and quite erratic...

It was so slow that we managed to catch sight of it and then have to run away from it to catch more glimpses of it as it flew behind a tall building....

Meteorites move quite slowly (relative to, say, fighter jets or missiles) by the time they reach the lower atmosphere. A meteorite the size of, say, a football can be very bright indeed due to superheating in the atmosphere (before it slows down). They can also follow odd flight paths because the aerodynamics are screwed up due to the completely uneven and bumpy surface. They land on earth all the time, that's why nobody really cares too much. One woman in America even got hit by one and it only made the local news (she was fine: it was the size of a pebble and had already gone through the roof and bounced off a wall).

And no, of course britain doesn't have a space agency in the sense you are using. We do have a space agency, but it's activities involve planning rocket launches and space missions, not watching out for pifflingly small meteorites. You seem to be confusing a space agency (i.e. NASA) with buck rogers. If it was of any considerable size you would be dead.
Broderss
It was further away from you and higher up in the atmosphere than it appeared so it seemed to move slowly and its flight path was eratic because meteorites are not perfectly streamlined and are not spherical so will adopt an eratic path.

Ah, nice one!

Thanks very much.

I know more of outer space and planets than I do of simple meteorites!!:biggrin:
MaxMara
it was superman

Are you taking the Michael, by mocking my logo??

(BTW, my logo is a stylized version of the original superman logo to represent my screen name...)
Reply 24
well I didn't see anything and it would have been pretty hard to see anything given the weather. How did you even manage to spot it?
Reply 25
Sovr'gnChancellor£

But what are the flight paths of meteorites??

Down? :woo:
hungryaardvark
Meteorites move quite slowly (relative to, say, fighter jets or missiles) by the time they reach the lower atmosphere. A meteorite the size of, say, a football can be very bright indeed due to superheating in the atmosphere (before it slows down). They can also follow odd flight paths because the aerodynamics are screwed up due to the completely uneven and bumpy surface. They land on earth all the time, that's why nobody really cares too much. One woman in America even got hit by one and it only made the local news (she was fine: it was the size of a pebble and had already gone through the roof and bounced off a wall).

And no, of course britain doesn't have a space agency in the sense you are using. We do have a space agency, but it's activities involve planning rocket launches and space missions, not watching out for pifflingly small meteorites. You seem to be confusing a space agency (i.e. NASA) with buck rogers. If it was of any considerable size you would be dead.

Yes....

I feel slightly silly now for causing all this noise....

Only a meteorite, hm......

(So, nothing to be excited about - even if London is the first planet to be overriden by killer extraterrestrials, no??):biggrin:
Sovr'gnChancellor£

Urm no, of course not. It's a man in a shed in Derby with an IBM Thinkpad and a GPS handset.
gildartz
well I didn't see anything and it would have been pretty hard to see anything given the weather. How did you even manage to spot it?

Coincidentally, a few others and I were just at a seemingly convenient spot to just see it.

If we had even been just a few feet closer to it, the building in front of it would have blocked our view.

It was simply a spur of the moment...

We even asked a lot of people in the area, but it seems that every had many things on their minds....

It's not that we had nothing better to do - we were simply walking when on spotted it by chance....
UnWise
Down? :woo:

No, it's alright I realize the flight path now....

(Not down, silly....I mean straight, erratic etc - it's been jogged in my brain anyway..):yep:
Norfolkadam
Urm no, of course not. It's a man in a shed in Derby with an IBM Thinkpad and a GPS handset.

Yes, it is alright...

Everybody on here is convinced that it is just a simple, unimportant meteorite...

(But I am just saying, when we are invaded suddenly or probed, I won't hesitate t say 'I told you so'....):yep:
Broderss
Meteorites fall down all the time all around the world. It's no big deal.

Ha...

No, seriously if everybody followed your advice, we wouldn't know if the "meteorite" was dangerous or not.....
SamCrossMan
It Was Teh Illuminati. Run For Your Lifes!!!11!!!111

What...??

The Illumi-who??

I'm sure they have better things to be doing..like destabilizing the Middle East and heightening tensions between North and South Korea....:rolleyes:

(BTW, where are we running too??)
Sovr'gnChancellor£
Ah, a funny one...

No, I was not under the influence of narcotics, or tobacco or alcoholic beverages for that matter...

Were you even in South London at the time, hm??

(Also, three others and I witnessed this peculiar and unreported phenomenon, so I cannot have been dishonest.):yep:

Yes I live in one of the area's you mentioned it was in
Scout1234
I saw it but I'm in Yorkshire lol :s-smilie: wondered what the hell it was.

Excellent, so you saw it too..!!

Wait, Yorkshire...?

That's quite a way away, hm?
waynethomas
I meant with people winding you up *looks out for all the sarcastic comments*

Ah, no grievances between you and I, then.
ShadowConspiracy
Yes I live in one of the area's you mentioned it was in

Well, citizens further away than you seem to have caught sight of it.

It seems, you, Sir, were the one who was taking the 'wacky backy', wouldn't you agree?:yep:
SamCrossMan
It Was Teh Illuminati. Run For Your Lifes!!!11!!!111

THE

LIVES

You are okay, for now...
Sovr'gnChancellor£
I don't think it was an alien aircraft because space agencies and Earth defences would have already intercepted it

I hope this is a troll or that's really worrying.
Reply 39
Sovr'gnChancellor£
Really??

My goodness!

I do not understand why we are not informed about these things.

Apparently, many things like this happen in the US and some actually hit people or partially destroy buildings!

However, I'm not so sure that what we saw was a meteorite....its flight trail was extremely slow and quite erratic...

It was so slow that we managed to catch sight of it and then have to run away from it to catch more glimpses of it as it flew behind a tall building....

Maybe it was further away than you thought ? => it looked slow, wasn't a danger and just burnt up before it hit the ground :dontknow:

Latest

Trending

Trending