The Student Room Group

Three Grade 8's...?

Hello!

I'm applying to university this year, to hopefully study music :yep:

Although most of the Unis I'm applying for don't count UCAS points (it's just the grades that count), I'm still interested in knowing whether the UCAS points from my 3 music grade 8's will be counted towards my total....
(I've put all these VVVV on my UCAS form but i don't know....)

Clarinet GSMD8 'Honours' (I count that as a distinction :woo: ) = 75 points :rolleyes:
Saxophone ABRSM8 Distinction = 75 points
Jazz Sax TG8 Merit :mad: = 70 points

:biggrin: would all those exams count or is it just one? I've done grades 6,7,8 on clari and sax too but i guess all those points wouldn't count either! lol

You can only count the highest grade of each one, but I've never been able to work out whether it's the highest of each instrument or the highest overall. I think you need to ask the individual unis about it as they probably all do it differently - they might have a max. no. of points you can get from music exams, or they might not count them at all.

I know someone going this year to study a Music Theatre degree with grade 8 sax & flute and grade 7 viola and they weren't included in any of her offers :frown: She easily got the points anyway though. :smile:
They're three different qualifications (jazz sax is different to sax), so the points for all three stand, though like you say they unfortunately probs won't be counted :nah: The points are only awarded for the highest level, so for the Grade 8s in your case :yes:
Reply 3
One can claim the UCAS tariff points for music in two categories: the pratical and the theory one. Having obtained grade 8 in three practicals, one being a distinction (good for you!) you are only allowed the maximum of 75 points for that category. Had you taken any theory exams at grade 6, 7 or 8 you could have added the extra points.
It does not matter with whom you sat the exams as from the Ucas website: "Points for Music Examinations are for the ABRSM, Guildhall, LCMM, Rockschool and Trinity College London Advanced Level music examinations."
See http://www.abrsm.org/?page=students/item.html&id=144
and http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/ucas_tariff/tarifftables/
under music exams.
I've been lied to this whole time! :eek3:
Reply 5
:O

okay i'm still confused.... but what UCAS says goes I guess :/
ahhh.... still, it's kinda advantageous to have 3 grade 8's (and hopefully another one by January!)

Thank you so much, guys :smile:
Reply 6
gud job
Reply 7
I always thought each practical was counted :zomg:!
Reply 8
I wonder if that's what music tutors tell their students to get them to work harder :biggrin:

Last term the relationship with one of my music tutors became extremely strained because I refused to sit my third grade 8 (I already have distinctions in the other two) and prefer to build up my repertoire without the stress of exams. He wasn't pleased and tbh I don't really understand why.
Reply 9
Choirboy
I wonder if that's what music tutors tell their students to get them to work harder :biggrin:

Last term the relationship with one of my music tutors became extremely strained because I refused to sit my third grade 8 (I already have distinctions in the other two) and prefer to build up my repertoire without the stress of exams. He wasn't pleased and tbh I don't really understand why.

Well if you are capable then why not? At some Universities you will get a scholarship if you have grade 8 (but not grade 7). And I don't know about where you live but around here there is more than one band you can't even audition for without grade 8.
Reply 10
lekky
Well if you are capable then why not? At some Universities you will get a scholarship if you have grade 8 (but not grade 7). And I don't know about where you live but around here there is more than one band you can't even audition for without grade 8.

I don't think it's a question of being capable but perhaps of personal satisfaction. You only need one grade 8 at distintion level to obtain the maximum UCAS points for practical music, so any more grades become a waste of money and time which could be spent on repertoire (that you chose and enjoy and is not selected by others). I play in various orchestras and I never had to "prove" my standard. At my last audition to join a symphony orchestra I stated that my standard was post grade 8. This was apparently sufficient to allow me to audition and also for the conductor who then accepted me.
I cannot comment on unis offering scholarships to grade 8 holders because I don't know enough about it but the Royal College of Music certainly offer scholarships only via competitive auditions to students of exceptional ability regardless of them having grade 8 or not.
I believe that what conductors/musicians are looking for is the standard reached not the piece of paper that certifies it.
Reply 11
Choirboy
I don't think it's a question of being capable but perhaps of personal satisfaction. You only need one grade 8 at distintion level to obtain the maximum UCAS points for practical music, so any more grades become a waste of money and time which could be spent on repertoire (that you chose and enjoy and is not selected by others). I play in various orchestras and I never had to "prove" my standard. At my last audition to join a symphony orchestra I stated that my standard was post grade 8. This was apparently sufficient to allow me to audition and also for the conductor who then accepted me.
I cannot comment on unis offering scholarships to grade 8 holders because I don't know enough about it but the Royal College of Music certainly offer scholarships only via competitive auditions to students of exceptional ability regardless of them having grade 8 or not.
I believe that what conductors/musicians are looking for is the standard reached not the piece of paper that certifies it.

hm, I can't understand it but each to their own & fair enough, sadly there are lots of bands that will not audition you round here without that piece of paper :frown:
Reply 12
lekky
hm, I can't understand it but each to their own & fair enough, sadly there are lots of bands that will not audition you round here without that piece of paper :frown:

What kind of band do you mean (brass, wind, big etc.)? Maybe these bands are so large that the conductors don't have time to audition everyone and so set such stringent rules.
Tbh I don't think I would like to join a group where the organisers are such pen pushers to demand an official certification of a musician's ability over his/her word before admitting him/her to an audition. :no:

*whispers* Btw where is "round here" so I can avoid the area? :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending