The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Tips on changing course...

Hi Guys, cheers for taking the time to read this!

I have been accepted into Exeter to do an undergraduate degree but I am now trying to change course once at the university.

My A-Level results were AAAA and therefore good enough to get into this other course.

Now everyone I have spoken to, including my careers advisor, has said it should be pretty easy to change courses, especially as I have the "required" grades.

Does anyone have any experience of this or tips on how to increase my chances of being able to change course.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply 1
Hey, I changed course this year. I put my Law course on hold for a year for my own reasons and decided that I'd rather do History when I go back this September. Which course are you moving from/want to move to?

My advice would be to email the head of whatever department you want to join directly as soon as possible and ask them, that's what I did. Explain your reasons for wanting to join their course. Sell yourself.

If it isn't sorted before you get to Exeter then go to the lectures of the course you want to switch to so that you don't get left behind and to demonstrate your desire to do that course (but don't not go to your original course's lectures - you don't want to find out you can't transfer and be 2 weeks behind in your original course!).

People drop out of pretty much every course in the first 2 weeks though, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Hope this helps.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Ok thats brilliant thank you!

History is actually the subject I wish to change to as well... What was the reply when you sent your email to the history department?
OldSpice92
Ok thats brilliant thank you!

History is actually the subject I wish to change to as well... What was the reply when you sent your email to the history department?

You have to contact the department you're set to go into as well as the one you want to join. Some departments dont allow you to transfer straight away, some allow you to do it before you get there and sometimes the other department says no outright as sometimes they over-book courses so even if people drop out they cant let you join (yes it has happened no matter how unfair you think it is).

There are also forms you need to get signed if you actually enroll on your original course too. But yeh phonecalls are how it happens at this stage, though if its really different the History department might ask you to explain why you want that (like a verbal PS) so you might want to prepare that.
Reply 4
OldSpice92
What was the reply when you sent your email to the history department?

I emailed Professor Alexandra Walsham, the head of History. She took a couple weeks to reply because, naturally, she's a busy woman. Also she wanted to look over my academic record before making a decision. She agreed I could transfer and got the transfer forms sent to me.

What course are you hoping to transfer from? Because if it is in the same school as History (Humanities) then there will just be one form needed to be filled in, which needs the signatures of the head of the course you are leaving and the head of History. If it's from a different school my understanding is that it has to go through the undergraduate admissions office, although I may be wrong.

Make it clear to all parties how much you want to be a History student and how much thought you've put into this decision. Don't give the impression you've taken the decision on a whim.

Btw, quote me if you want to guarantee I'll reply swiftly, otherwise I don't know you've replied!
Reply 5
ms1990
I emailed Professor Alexandra Walsham, the head of History. She took a couple weeks to reply because, naturally, she's a busy woman. Also she wanted to look over my academic record before making a decision. She agreed I could transfer and got the transfer forms sent to me.

What course are you hoping to transfer from? Because if it is in the same school as History (Humanities) then there will just be one form needed to be filled in, which needs the signatures of the head of the course you are leaving and the head of History. If it's from a different school my understanding is that it has to go through the undergraduate admissions office, although I may be wrong.

Make it clear to all parties how much you want to be a History student and how much thought you've put into this decision. Don't give the impression you've taken the decision on a whim.

Ok thanks. I'm just whipping up an email to send to her now. Thing is I've now decided I want to have a career as a History teacher and therefore HAVE to come out with a History degree so I will do everything possible to switch.

I'm looking to switch from Geography to History which means it is from the school of life and environmental science to the school of humanities. Annoying that they are different schools really as they are both similar subjects!
Reply 6
OldSpice92
I'm looking to switch from Geography to History

Just pulled this from the Exeter website about transferring between schools...

1) The student should contact the Admissions Office to obtain the Change of Programme Form. This form is only downloadable from SITS and will show the student's name, student number, LEA and qualifications. The student should complete and sign the form, indicating on which date they wish to leave their current programme, the name of their proposed new programme and the proposed date of entry into this programme.

2) The student will meet with an Admissions' member of staff (if necessary by appointment). The member of staff will check whether a student meets the entry criteria for the new programme. They will also check whether the current and the proposed programme are under or oversubscribed.

3) If the student meets the entry criteria and the change is from an oversubscribed programme to an undersubscribed one, Admissions will sign the form. The student should then arrange for the form to be signed by the releasing and accepting Schools. The authorised form should then be sent to Registry.

4) In other cases, the transfer will not be permitted.

5) If the student does not meet the entry criteria but otherwise meets the criteria under item 3 above, then they should meet with the Dean of Taught Programmes who will consider their application. This interview will be arranged by Admissions and the Dean should be given a copy of the form together with any additional information in advance of the appointment.

Before the interview the student should establish that both the accepting and releasing Schools will accept the transfer by getting them to sign the form. There is no requirement for Schools to agree to transfers and School decisions on this are final.

If the Dean is satisfied with the student's application, he will sign the form to authorise the transfer. The authorised form should then be sent to Registry.
Reply 7
ms1990
Just pulled this from the Exeter website about transferring between schools...

1) The student should contact the Admissions Office to obtain the Change of Programme Form. This form is only downloadable from SITS and will show the student's name, student number, LEA and qualifications. The student should complete and sign the form, indicating on which date they wish to leave their current programme, the name of their proposed new programme and the proposed date of entry into this programme.

2) The student will meet with an Admissions' member of staff (if necessary by appointment). The member of staff will check whether a student meets the entry criteria for the new programme. They will also check whether the current and the proposed programme are under or oversubscribed.

3) If the student meets the entry criteria and the change is from an oversubscribed programme to an undersubscribed one, Admissions will sign the form. The student should then arrange for the form to be signed by the releasing and accepting Schools. The authorised form should then be sent to Registry.

4) In other cases, the transfer will not be permitted.

5) If the student does not meet the entry criteria but otherwise meets the criteria under item 3 above, then they should meet with the Dean of Taught Programmes who will consider their application. This interview will be arranged by Admissions and the Dean should be given a copy of the form together with any additional information in advance of the appointment.

Before the interview the student should establish that both the accepting and releasing Schools will accept the transfer by getting them to sign the form. There is no requirement for Schools to agree to transfers and School decisions on this are final.

If the Dean is satisfied with the student's application, he will sign the form to authorise the transfer. The authorised form should then be sent to Registry.

Ok sounds like a good course of action for when I get there. I meet the academic criteria because I got 3 A's and an A in History so It sounds like that should help.

Do you have a link to where you found this please? Cheers
Reply 8
OldSpice92
Do you have a link to where you found this please? Cheers

http://as.exeter.ac.uk/support/admin/taught/registrationandstudentstatus/changestostudy/changeofprogramme/

There's a link on that page where it says 'click here' and it'll ask you to log in with your uni username and password, and then you'll be on the page
Reply 9
ms1990
http://as.exeter.ac.uk/support/admin/taught/registrationandstudentstatus/changestostudy/changeofprogramme/

There's a link on that page where it says 'click here' and it'll ask you to log in with your uni username and password, and then you'll be on the page

Ok well I dont have a username and password yet as I'm not there but still thats a big help cheers mate!
Reply 10
OldSpice92
dont have a username and password yet

Have you activated your IT account? Because your username and pword for that are the ones you need to log into that page :smile:
Reply 11
ms1990
Have you activated your IT account? Because your username and pword for that are the ones you need to log into that page :smile:

No don't think I have yet... or at least I cant remember if I have!
ms1990

Isn't it to early to do that?
Reply 13
David_Lindstrom_89
Isn't it to early to do that?

Not sure, I can't remember when I activated mine last year!
ms1990
Not sure, I can't remember when I activated mine last year!

Just tried and it was to early:smile:
Reply 15
Sent them the email and they replied saying it probably won't be possible as they are already over subscribed... they suggested doing a year of Geography then assuming I got a 2:1 I could change next year...

Does anyone know if they would have any spaces in the combined honours history degrees like History and Middle East studies or History and Arabic?

Latest

Trending

Trending