The Student Room Group

Schools spend £281million on exam fees alone in one year!

:eek:

http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6041784

Secondary school spending on exam fees has shot up by an inflation-busting 6.7 per cent, or £17.7 million, in a single year to a total annual bill of £281 million.

The [figures published in April 2010] by exams regulator Ofqual for 2008/09 reveal that English secondaries have had to shoulder an 82 per cent increase in fees paid to exam boards in just six years.

Government statistics show that inflation rose by just 12 per cent over the same period.

Did anyone pick up on this during the election fun and games?

Crikey that's a lot of exams you lot have to take!
(Goes off to find out how much chief execs of exam boards get paid...)

Ooh! The "Qualifications Industry" now has a turnover of £1billion!
http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6039858
Reply 1
My college asked me to pay £400 in exam fees. The actually exam fee was £30. £370 was for the college.
Reply 2
Stettin
My college asked me to pay £400 in exam fees. The actually exam fee was £30. £370 was for the college.

What the hell for? :eek:

I hope they use that extra money on a Xbox 360 for the common room and some actual soap in the toilets.
6.7% is not a lot when inflation is taken into account and the fact that the population is always rising. When coupled with the big drive to get people through education this isn't a surprising figure.
Reply 4
Stettin

Well how else do you think they are going to fund those all important staff training days at Thorpe Park.
Reply 5
adam_zed
Well how else do you think they are going to fund those all important staff training days at Thorpe Park.

To be honest the college was in the poorest part of London. One of the areas in the UK where you are better of staying away from it. Despite this it was one of the best colleges I've ever seen in my life. It takes a lot of money to run a good college. Especially when that College is also responsible for raising the literacy and the skills level in the community. Half the students don't even pay any fees. Job centre pays for it.

But I decided to pretend I was on Jobseekers allowance and got off not paying the £370. Kind of feel guilty now.
Reply 6
It's all still in the economy! :gah:
Reply 7
Stettin
To be honest the college was in the poorest part of London. One of the areas in the UK where you are better of staying away from it. Despite this it was one of the best colleges I've ever seen in my life. It takes a lot of money to run a good college. Especially when that College is also responsible for raising the literacy and the skills level in the community. Half the students don't even pay any fees. Job centre pays for it.

But I decided to pretend I was on Jobseekers allowance and got off not paying the £370. Kind of feel guilty now.

I might try that one. Yes it is harsh but **** it, I want my A-Levels. Where abouts in London my I ask just out of curiosity?
Reply 8
adam_zed
I might try that one. Yes it is harsh but **** it, I want my A-Levels. Where abouts in London my I ask just out of curiosity?

Tottenham. The college doesn't do A-levels though. They decided to focus on BTEC and Access. Probably because a lot of students have failed their GCSEs so they have to start all over from scratch.
Reply 9
Stettin
Tottenham. The college doesn't do A-levels though. They decided to focus on BTEC and Access. Probably because a lot of students have failed their GCSEs so they have to start all over from scratch.

Oh, I used to have a friend who hung around Tottenham, not good stories.
Reply 10
adam_zed
Oh, I used to have a friend who hung around Tottenham, not good stories.

It's actually nice. I remember in my class we had some white people who just moved into London. They didn't know anything about Tottenham when they signed on to the course. Really middle class people they were. At first they hated Tottenham and then they realized it was actually a nice place.

That is if you can avoid trouble.
Reply 11
Stettin
It's actually nice. I remember in my class we had some white people who just moved into London. They didn't know anything about Tottenham when they signed on to the course. Really middle class people they were. At first they hated Tottenham and then they realized it was actually a nice place.

That is if you can avoid trouble.

Yeah. I went to a party in the Irish centre in Pretoria road, and the station comes out immediately onto an estate, and these kids just stared us up and started following us for a bit, but then again I suppose that could happen anywhere and it was only scary because of what we perceived people in Tottenham to be like.

On match day it seems fairly nice though, just a little intimidating in the evening. Have you ever seen anything really messed up happen while you lived there?
Reply 12
adam_zed
Yeah. I went to a party in the Irish centre in Pretoria road, and the station comes out immediately onto an estate, and these kids just stared us up and started following us for a bit, but then again I suppose that could happen anywhere and it was only scary because of what we perceived people in Tottenham to be like.

On match day it seems fairly nice though, just a little intimidating in the evening. Have you ever seen anything really messed up happen while you lived there?

Match days are just annoying to be honest but suprisingly funny. Tottenham is normally a mixed area where you can find people from all over the world from Ireland to Turkey. It's also an area where most people live in poverty (and I mean poverty). Yet when match days come. The whole town gets filled with well of generally white people who drive nice cars and don't live in the area shouting their heads off.

Even worse is when spurs wins or does something astonishing (thankfully it's rare :biggrin: ). The amount of drunk people on the buses and the streets will make your ears hurt.

It is funny though because if half of them came to Tottenham on a normal day. Their nice cars would attract attention and they would probably find it stolen when they come back to where they parked.

Latest

Trending

Trending