The Student Room Group

Would this be enough for Oxford/Cambridge?

I have been looking at possible universities go study computer science at and Oxford or Cambridge seem to be the best places to go, after trying to pick one I went for Oxford as it seems to be a better place to study and also has slightly lower entry requirements. However im not sure if my grades will be good enough to get in, any comments on how likely i am to get in?:eek3:

GCSE: A* x2, Ax5, Bx2

A-level: A* (A2 maths),A (AS physics), A (AS computing),
A (AS geography, dropping this next year).

next year i will also be doing further maths but havent yet sat any modules.

roflcopterAI
I have been looking at possible universities go study computer science at and Oxford or Cambridge seem to be the best places to go, after trying to pick one I went for Oxford as it seems to be a better place to study and also has slightly lower entry requirements. However im not sure if my grades will be good enough to get in, any comments on how likely i am to get in?:eek3:

GCSE: A* x2, Ax5, Bx2

A-level: A* (A2 maths),A (AS physics), A (AS computing),
A (AS geography, dropping this next year).

next year i will also be doing further maths but havent yet sat any modules.

Well your GCSEs may not be best for Oxford since AFAIK Oxford place a far greater emphasis on GCSEs than Cambridge seemingly does. Post up your AS module marks and we'll see if we can judge whether Cambridge would be a safer option than Oxford. The AS results are encouraging.
Reply 2
Maths:
c1:98
c2:89
s1:80
C3:98
c4:100
s2:88

physics total: 285 (max 300)
Computing total: 170 (max 200)
geography total: 167 (max 200)
roflcopterAI
Maths:
c1:98
c2:89
s1:80
C3:98
c4:100
s2:88

physics total: 285 (max 300)
Computing total: 170 (max 200)
geography total: 167 (max 200)

hmmm that's all good then. You're then free to choose wherever you want to apply. I'd recommend Cambridge because Oxford will not be able to see the improvements you've shown from GCSE to AS due to the fact they don't get to see AS marks. Tbh your GCSEs will make Oxford difficult in my opinion but it's up to you at the end of the day and those GCSE's certainly do not rule you out.
Reply 4
Farhan.Hanif93
Well your GCSEs may not be best for Oxford since AFAIK Oxford place a far greater emphasis on GCSEs than Cambridge seemingly does. Post up your AS module marks and we'll see if we can judge whether Cambridge would be a safer option than Oxford. The AS results are encouraging.

Oxford's main shortlisting criterion for interview is the admissions test, and not GCSEs. Though, as you say, Cambridge ask for module marks which Oxford do not.
RichE
Oxford's main shortlisting criterion for interview is the admissions test, and not GCSEs. Though, as you say, Cambridge ask for module marks which Oxford do not.

Oh, I forgot about that. Very true.

Latest

Trending

Trending